Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [stickboy1125] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said. And WHAT SUPPLEMENTS WERE TAKEN?! They will not say! If you are not guilty, then why wouldn't you want to give fellow athletes a heads up on what NOT TO TAKE!? This is a red flag. Going back to Paulson...quoted from the April 2016 release about her ban "Paulson was taking a supplement that was subsequently examined, tested and found to be contaminated with the drug." Numerous coaches called her coach to find out what was taken to try and protect their athletes in the event that they were taking this 'contaminated' supplement...but he refused to say. These two new bans make 7 total doping bans in triathlon...ever. What a slap in the face to the other 99.99999% of professional triathletes in history to not test positive.
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

To answer a few questions:

3.) With regard to manufacturing - for those questioning "how does this happen?" - there are a scant few brands that actually manufacture their own supplements (including salt) on their own equipment. Otherwise, you're at the risk of whatever is residue in the equipment from the line that was produced/bottled before yours. There's also little/no regulation...which isn't likely to change given the current federal administration.

I'm not doubting that contamination can happen, I just find it odd that these athletes had Ostarine (out of the laundry list of other banned substances) in their supplements and to my knowledge these were all different supplements and/or brands.
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [realtalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realtalk wrote:
You'd think that this would be public information, and if the athlete was in fact innocent, to warn other athletes of potential products to steer clear from, but none will mention what caused them to fail the test. Why?
Right...because everyone owes it to the public of a STer demands it be...

Plus it is public info in at least one case as everyone has deduced from the addition to 411. But you're right...as an athlete, regardless of their lives, they must monitor ST and abide by ST demands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which gets to the heart of part of this (and the front-page article does a pretty good job talking about this) - there are few actual manufacturers, many brands.

It's surprisingly similar to the run footwear industry - you have a couple of large factory lines with curtains/walls segmenting the different brands they are providing service to.

I think this is in part why you're seeing shortened bans for more athletes than anticipated - the contaminated supplement issue is more plausible than many on this board are giving it credit for.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to see us judge guilt/innocence based on a fair application of fair rules--and not base it on someone's likability, or social media presence, or good alibi, or whatever. Because there are friendly likeable people (with good PR skills) who dope and there are rotten SOB's (with terrible PR skills) who are clean.

That said, I'm very aware of the corruption/bribery/extortion involving doping at the top levels of the sport. This includes the recent president of the IAAF (track & field) and at least one WADA-certified lab. Who knows what goes on at the national federations, and within WADA itself? Which all makes me wonder if I'm naive in believing it's even possible to have a fair application of rules.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a big laugh from the article just from the pic they included. Because AG or pro doping isn't the biggest issue in triathlon. It's drafting and it's inability to be officiated corrrectly. Or let me say drafting is something that likely can be much fairer officiated than drug testing in this sport.

Ok sorry back to doping controls, I just laughed at the pic they included in the article of 400 + cyclist all "riding" in Kona (yes I know I know it was uphill but look at the line at bottom of hill all "drafting" ).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [DVM_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What good would that do? Instead of small sample, you would have to maintain a complete, unopened, sealed bottle of each supplement, and even then they might not accept it coming from the athlete who just popped a positive.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Feb 8, 17 6:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sighs this approach is maddening. We expect pros to now become chemist? Because how are you the athlete validating that X baggy is from A product and Z baggy is from B product? Because you say so? Isn't that a flawed process from the start? So couldn't they say you contaminated it to cover your tracks? I guess there is no way to certify your process yes?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DVM_Tri wrote:
Thomas, I know you are very detailed in your approach to training/racing. Would you now consider pulling a small sample aside from each container of supplement/nutrition you take during training/racing? It would be tedious, but if you ever tested positive, you would have a sample from each batch of anything you consumed during the season. You could just have a small collection of baggies and jars for the season and then throw them out and restart each season.

This is going off the presumption that supplements can be tainted in the manufacturing process...

I might make some adjustments. Honestly, I am most likely going to keep evaluating what NEEDS to be taken an adjusting from there. For instance. You may have seen my recent Blood Test write-up. All my labs that supplements could fix are very normal. I wouldn't mind trying to lower and lower the dosage of say Iron, Vitamin D, and Magnesium and only supplement if I am at a deficit. I am planning on getting ~4 blood tests a year for the rest of my career.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a CYA maneuver. Not flawless by any means, but it's also their career on the line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I'm asking is the legality of it. So every gu/gel/powder you have keep a pinch of it somewhere so you can cya. But that seems like opening up a big can of worms for legality of how X product is X and how you prove Y is not in X?

I guess I'm asking how are these pros suppose to validate that they didn't spike it after the fact that we have seen mentioned here. So what I'm bringing up is more or less chain of custody issues.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somewhere I read that Laura gave the bottle of her pills for testing and then testers went and independently purchased more with the same batch numbers to also test. Both were positive to containing Ostarine.
Beth provided some un opened packets of the pills she had been taking, one she provided showed 'possible traces on it' but others did not. I assume independent purchasing of more tablets from the same batch number also proved clear, hence the 2 year ban. I thought was interesting wording from her to state 'on' not 'in'also. Maybe a typo, or maybe something quite different.
Basically the batch numbers are what need to be kept. not the product itself. Anyone could rub a bit of the banned product on what is already in their cupboard and send off for testing. Therefore It is the later testing of product, independently acquired, from the same batch that can get the ban lowered or not.
Last edited by: chrisb12: Feb 8, 17 17:00
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
Somewhere I read that Laura gave the bottle of her pills for testing and then testers went and independently purchased more with the same batch numbers to also test. Both were positive to containing Ostarine.
Beth provided some un opened packets of the pills she had been taking, one she provided showed 'possible traces on it' but others did not. I assume independent purchasing of more tablets from the same batch number also proved clear, hence the 2 year ban. I thought was interesting wording from her to state 'on' not 'in'also. Maybe a typo, or maybe something quite different.
Basically the batch numbers are what need to be kept. not the product itself. Anyone could rub a bit of the banned product on what is already in their cupboard and send off for testing. Therefore It is the later testing of product, independently acquired, from the same batch that can get the ban lowered or not.
Not if they provide unopened packets. If the packets are truly sealed then the person could not rub the banned product on it, correct.
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Basically the batch numbers are what need to be kept. not the product itself.

---------

thx for this info.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
She will serve a six-month suspension for testing positive for the same substance, Ostarine. The suspension was retroactively enacted from the positive test date and expires tomorrow.

---

At least they're coming down hard on the athletes. Seriously though, if that's the type of punishment, what's the point?

And this is a great post. A 6-month retroactive ban is damn near pointless. In the case of the 2015/16 female triathlete who tested positive for Ostarine (if you don't know who, look it up) getting a 6 month retroactive ban that took place during...wait for it...the off-season! What timing... She was banned retroactively from mid-October to mid-April; now that's what I call well played. What a sham.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She knew the potential of the ban. She could have continued to race and then the ban started the day it was announced and continued for 6 months.
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:

Yes. And another pro from Utah, Ashley Paulson, was also suspended last year for I believe this same drug.
And she seems about as home-spun as they get. I don't buy it that these athletes are cheating. It is very sad when the system goes overboard and hurts honest people.
Here is an article about supplement companies adding this drug: https://www.naturalproductsinsider.com/...mining-drug-ost.aspx

I hope you're trolling with this comment. 'she seems about as home-spun as they get.' C'mon son. And your daughter really is just studying in the basement alone with her boyfriend...wake up! If you can give me a convincing argument on how you go from running 6hr 70.3's in 2014 to 4:30's in 2016, I will eat my words. Additionally, mid-35 with not even as much as collegiate sport on her resume...? But, hey. She's a nice gal (which from what I've heard, she's great). The system does go overboard, but it is to protect the honest people from getting hurt. When someone trains full-time (substance free) and loses big cash to a doper...now that is what hurts.
Last edited by: realtalk: Feb 8, 17 20:08
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
Pat0 wrote:
I don't think it is a fact that this drug is "performance enhancing" in the case of endurance athletes.
It seem to be more used by body builders in lieu of steroids. The target market is supposedly osteoporosis patients or to slow down muscle wasting in cancer patients.

And as Gerdes stated in her blog the 1/2 life and cycle for this drug would do no good for the race she competed in. She states that she was tested and clean 4 or so weeks before at another tri.

Fair enough. But then why is it banned for triathletes?

You guys have gotta start taking some time to research this stuff before you come out and verbal vomit your assumptions that really don't make any sense. You're killin me.

Ostarine is popular with the ladies because though it is not technically a 'steroid', it still delivers muscle gains and the benefits of certain steroids without the side effects that would deter most females (facial hair, balls, etc.) Osterine HAS proven to be very effective in building lean muscle (skipping other benefits) AND increasing strength as well as...wait for it...endurance; increasing them past the point of what your natural genetics are capable of. Another huge benefit for endurance athletes is that it increases tendon strength, ligament health and bone density. This = Recovery. For a female who is between the age of 30 and 40, it's very hard to build muscle and if you're body is taking the pounding of an endurance athlete, recovery is vital. If a SARM can cut your recover time in half...while building lean muscle and strength and endurance, you're gonna have some pretty significant increases if you can push out 2-3 hard workouts a week versus the 1 or 2.

So what if you get caught? And stop taking it? Well, if you continue to train hard after you stop taking Ostarine, you'll of course see some declines, but the gains that were not possible to achieve before taking it are still there. If you quit all together, then I would assume it'd become useless...but if you take Ostarine and train like a beast for 12 months and then stop taking it, but still continue to train...the muscle is still there and the benefits will live on. So if you're banned for using this substance for 6 months, but still continue to train through your ban, you will still benefit from the muscle build and endurance gains that took place while juicing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do people determine the subtle nuances you've described that are associated with these PEDs? How did you learn what you've shared?

This all seems very refined for underground and illicit activities.

I'm not challenging what you've shared, just niavely oblivious to the sources of sophistication at work behind the scenes.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realtalk wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:
Pat0 wrote:
I don't think it is a fact that this drug is "performance enhancing" in the case of endurance athletes.
It seem to be more used by body builders in lieu of steroids. The target market is supposedly osteoporosis patients or to slow down muscle wasting in cancer patients.

And as Gerdes stated in her blog the 1/2 life and cycle for this drug would do no good for the race she competed in. She states that she was tested and clean 4 or so weeks before at another tri.

Fair enough. But then why is it banned for triathletes?

You guys have gotta start taking some time to research this stuff before you come out and verbal vomit your assumptions that really don't make any sense. You're killin me.

Ostarine is popular with the ladies because though it is not technically a 'steroid', it still delivers muscle gains and the benefits of certain steroids without the side effects that would deter most females (facial hair, balls, etc.) Osterine HAS proven to be very effective in building lean muscle (skipping other benefits) AND increasing strength as well as...wait for it...endurance; increasing them past the point of what your natural genetics are capable of. Another huge benefit for endurance athletes is that it increases tendon strength, ligament health and bone density. This = Recovery. For a female who is between the age of 30 and 40, it's very hard to build muscle and if you're body is taking the pounding of an endurance athlete, recovery is vital. If a SARM can cut your recover time in half...while building lean muscle and strength and endurance, you're gonna have some pretty significant increases if you can push out 2-3 hard workouts a week versus the 1 or 2.

So what if you get caught? And stop taking it? Well, if you continue to train hard after you stop taking Ostarine, you'll of course see some declines, but the gains that were not possible to achieve before taking it are still there. If you quit all together, then I would assume it'd become useless...but if you take Ostarine and train like a beast for 12 months and then stop taking it, but still continue to train...the muscle is still there and the benefits will live on. So if you're banned for using this substance for 6 months, but still continue to train through your ban, you will still benefit from the muscle build and endurance gains that took place while juicing.

THIS ^^^ Just because the athlete said oh poor me, why would I even take it when it gives no benefit to a triathlete? doesn't make it true. Far from it.
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
How do people determine the subtle nuances you've described that are associated with these PEDs? How did you learn what you've shared?

This all seems very refined for underground and illicit activities.

I'm not challenging what you've shared, just niavely oblivious to the sources of sophistication at work behind the scenes.

Scott

I am married to a high level professional athlete and a very honest one at that. Through being around the sport and self research from my own curiosity (at first I didn't understand what the big fuss was all about). When you hit a certain level of talent at a high level, everyone is so damn good and no one tests positive for anything because they don't take anything that would risk career suicide. You simply stay away from anything and everything...you don't even look at it; you also read the USADA banned substances list, print it out, memorize it, put it on the fridge, etc., and take it very serious. In professional sports like running, triathlon and cycling (which are all very tight knit groups at high levels aka they all know one another because they're racing together all of the time) even the best are barely scraping up the money to get by as a professional, so when something like this happens they take it very personal simply because it is wrong. It is cheating. There is no shortcuts. I witnessed a great athlete miss the Olympic team by 1 slot in 2012; and as it turns out the person who got the 3rd slot and made the team was doping. Can you imagine dedicating your life to something like this and how devastating that would be at the end of your career if that happened? To some people it's not a big deal, but I can promise you to the elites who have sacrificed their lives for their sport, it is a very personal issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. realtalk. Calm down.
There is no one who despises cheating in any form than myself. But I also believe in fairness. And if these supplements are tainted then yes I will always stick up for the athlete.
And btw your comment on trolling. .. Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean there a troll. Why can't you debate the topic instead of going after fellow posters. You seem to have real anger issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Basically the batch numbers are what need to be kept. not the product itself.

---------

thx for this info.

So all one needs to know is the batch number of a known contaminated substance (such as the batch # of the salt pills Lauren Barnett was taking) and then they can take Ostarine and claim it was from the specific batch of salt pills? I would think you'd need to have more evidence than a batch #.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well then an unopened container of salt from that batch would need to show traces of the drug to prove it was contaminated....

Is this process that confusing?

Realtalk is spot on with everything in my opinion. Wake up, ST.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:
Well then an unopened container of salt from that batch would need to show traces of the drug to prove it was contaminated....

Is this process that confusing?

Realtalk is spot on with everything in my opinion. Wake up, ST.

Maybe you aren't understanding what I'm saying.

Let's say I get tested and have Ostarine in my system. If I know the batch number from the salt pills that Lauren Barnett took, which have been tested and contained traces Ostarine, I can just claim that I took salt pills from that batch. Sure, I'll get six months but that's a hell of a lot better than 2-4 years.
Quote Reply

Prev Next