Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:
She did have the drug in her system. Does that mean that she was, "using Ostarine?" I think not. She knew she would be tested when she was placing well. I doubt that she would do this (for various reasons) but not unimportantly because she would lose her credibility. Her stance on clean sport etc. It seems ridiculous that people are questioning this. Of course if she is dirty then I think you would want her spouse tested. Stat.

This is almost exactly what many people (myself included) said about Lance 10 years ago.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [DomerTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct... while the athletes may have accepted the bans/WTC ruling, doesn't mean they've stopped working to get to the bottom of the contamination problem... if not for their own case but to help the next athlete, professional or amateur, from a similar situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote
I beleive one of the athletes (Barnett) was using Neurolytes (https://classifiednutrition.com/...olytes-100-capsules/). I'd never heard of the brand until yesterday and I imagine most other people haven't either.

Maybe I'm a skeptic but reading Beth Gerdes blog post makes her look worse, the WTC didn't buy what she is trying to sell so I don't know why I should either when they have significantly more information regarding this situation than I ever will. Not saying she did or didn't intentionally take a banned substance but her blog post reeks of 'woe is me'.[/quote]

I think the BIGGER question in all this is why the athlete was using Neurolytes when they are/were sponsored by Nuun:[/quote]Sorry, I am not following you. What is wrong with the sponsor Nuun?
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [DomerTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DomerTriGuy wrote:
Fleck wrote:

*This is why, if you tested the whole field at Ironman Hawaii unannounced, you would get a surprising number of positive tests among age-groupers - almost all of them like the Barnett/Gerdes situation - unintentional/inadvertent.

And this is why the present format of drug testing for age groupers is a fallacy. What weekend warrior (of which the majority of us are) is really checking into WADA drug banned lists and simultaneously researching the genuineness of every food/drug source? It's simply not realistic. Hell, the pros can't even figure out how to do it correctly.
Some of you will certainly state that if we want to race then that's what expected of us. I would say that you are in the very small minority. Most of us just want to train and then come out to a race every now and then. The day I have to start considering where my beef came from or if these salt sticks were manufactured in the same facility as another drug is the day I switch to another sport. A handful will take this as a "masked" admission of doping and there is nothing I could ever say to convince you otherwise. Frankly, I'm not a full-time professional athlete. I don't care too much about drug regulations for professional athletes. Not because I endorse doping, but because it is two entirely different sample populations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:
[quote
I beleive one of the athletes (Barnett) was using Neurolytes (https://classifiednutrition.com/...olytes-100-capsules/). I'd never heard of the brand until yesterday and I imagine most other people haven't either.

Maybe I'm a skeptic but reading Beth Gerdes blog post makes her look worse, the WTC didn't buy what she is trying to sell so I don't know why I should either when they have significantly more information regarding this situation than I ever will. Not saying she did or didn't intentionally take a banned substance but her blog post reeks of 'woe is me'.

I think the BIGGER question in all this is why the athlete was using Neurolytes when they are/were sponsored by Nuun:[/quote]
Sorry, I am not following you. What is wrong with the sponsor Nuun?[/quote]
My point was, if you are sponsored by Nuun, why the heck would you be using Neurolytes??? That is shady enough. I can understand maybe for an Ironman where you need to take salt on the run. You don't need to talk salt in 70.3 IMO on the run. Take it all on the bike and hold on.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
Pat0 wrote:

She did have the drug in her system. Does that mean that she was, "using Ostarine?" I think not. She knew she would be tested when she was placing well. I doubt that she would do this (for various reasons) but not unimportantly because she would lose her credibility. Her stance on clean sport etc. It seems ridiculous that people are questioning this. Of course if she is dirty then I think you would want her spouse tested. Stat.

This is almost exactly what many people (myself included) said about Lance 10 years ago.

But Lance was ever busted? Let's be honest, athletes trying to get an endurance edge use 3 things. They use

1) EPO - to flog themselves even harder
2) Testorone & HGH - recover from the flogging so they can flog themselves again sooner.

Where are the EPO, Testosterone, and Hgh busts in Triathlon? I think it is great that we are doing tests but it is security theater mostly. I know people are out there and using and abusing the big 3. Even athletes on whereabouts, but they simply know how to beat the system thru micro-dosing.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
stickboy1125 wrote:

Maybe I'm a skeptic but reading Beth Gerdes blog post makes her look worse, the WTC didn't buy what she is trying to sell so I don't know why I should either when they have significantly more information regarding this situation than I ever will. Not saying she did or didn't intentionally take a banned substance but her blog post reeks of 'woe is me'.

I agree. I don't understand why she has an issue with WTC's ruling. They put the onus on her to show them what product was responsible for the cross-contamination, she was unable to do so and was banned. What did she expect? They'd take her word for it.. And I don't get her "woe is me" attitude, giving up the sport etc If you're innocent continue to fight and/or accept shit happens, do the 2 years and return a stronger person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read her blog and anything that is not directly related to the test that she tested positive in is not logically connected and therefore (to me) smoke and mirrors.

For example, previous passed tests and not missing a test is not related to failing the test she did.

Saying it wouldn't even help her for the race she tested positive is not logically connected to the fact that she did test positive in a test after a race. Is there another reason why she might take it?

Lots of fallacies of logic. That is smoke and mirrors.
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded,
I am guessing that her decision to not continue after the ban may have something to do with her age, her family and the ban has zapped her spirit. She is getting up in age as a pro triathlete and 2 years is a long time to be away from sport and competition.
Last edited by: Pat0: Feb 6, 17 14:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

But Lance was ever busted? Let's be honest, athletes trying to get an endurance edge use 3 things. They use

1) EPO - to flog themselves even harder
2) Testorone & HGH - recover from the flogging so they can flog themselves again sooner.

Where are the EPO, Testosterone, and Hgh busts in Triathlon? I think it is great that we are doing tests but it is security theater mostly. I know people are out there and using and abusing the big 3. Even athletes on whereabouts, but they simply know how to beat the system thru micro-dosing.[/quote]
Ostarine, a quick google gives this "is a SARM.
Selective Androgen Receptor Modulators (SARMs) provide the benefits of traditional anabolic/androgenic steroids such as testosterone (including increased muscle mass, fat loss, and bone density), while showing a lower tendency to produce unwanted side effects"

looks like new age testosterone to me
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
unless they took it on purpose.

I'd say the chances they took it on purpose is much higher than unknowingly taking a contaminated supplement. Recently there have been, to my knowledge, 4 women busted for Ostarine (Gerdes, Barnett, Paulsen, Marangon) and ALL of them claimed contamination. It's like claiming contaminated supplements is just a way to potentially get yourself a reduced sentence, if these women did not claim contamination they would have definitely received a 4 year ban.

Also, I'm not sure how the supplement testing works but are they only testing factory sealed products provided by a 3rd party or are they testing opened and unopened canisters/packages provided by the athletes? I don't think it would be too difficult to provide a self contaminated supplement that appears to be factory sealed. If these women all took the same contaminated supplement then I'd be more likely to believe their stories but I don't think any of them took the same thing which makes it hard to believe that Ostarine is making its way into all these different products.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:
monty wrote:
I know the work she put in.//

I see people use this phrase all the time, but what really does it(do you) mean? As far as I know, dopers and clean athletes work just as hard as each other, how much work someone puts in has "0" to do with weather they doped or not. Come to think of it, the dopers I have known and trained with did put in more work, for obvious reasons. But work ethic I would never use as a factor in whether I think someone dopes or not.. That is just something that all great athletes have as part of their DNA, otherwise they would never have gotten where they have in sport.
I think everyone agrees that dopers work hard. Maybe harder than most. As they are willing to put everything on the line including their integrity to win. They don't do it to replace hard work but to add the extra edge.

Yup. 100% true. In fact, if you could measure such a thing, I would suspect dopers put in more work than the rest of the field. It's consistent with the win at all costs mindset.

Id be surprised if there were many/any guys who dope so they can skip workouts and take it easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [stickboy1125] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stickboy1125 wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:

I'd say the chances they took it on purpose is much higher than unknowingly taking a contaminated supplement. Recently there have been, to my knowledge, 4 women busted for Ostarine (Gerdes, Barnett, Paulsen, Marangon) and ALL of them claimed contamination. It's like claiming contaminated supplements is just a way to potentially get yourself a reduced sentence, if these women did not claim contamination they would have definitely received a 4 year ban.

Also, I'm not sure how the supplement testing works but are they only testing factory sealed products provided by a 3rd party or are they testing opened and unopened canisters/packages provided by the athletes? I don't think it would be too difficult to provide a self contaminated supplement that appears to be factory sealed. If these women all took the same contaminated supplement then I'd be more likely to believe their stories but I don't think any of them took the same thing which makes it hard to believe that Ostarine is making its way into all these different products.

But would the athletes know the product was laced with Ostraine before taking it? Only if they show up on the Supplement411 would they know. Sure Neurolytes are now on the list but I don't think they were on the list before a few days ago.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
stickboy1125 wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:

But would the athletes know the product was laced with Ostraine before taking it? Only if they show up on the Supplement411 would they know. Sure Neurolytes are now on the list but I don't think they were on the list before a few days ago.

To answer a few questions:

1.) Neurolytes were added to the Supplement411 list right around the same time that the announcements were made by WTC.

2.) In Barnett's case, she was able to show in a bottle from the same lot that they, too, were contaminated with Ostarine. Hence why they're now on there. I obviously can't speak to the testing protocol as to how the lab wound up with bottles from the same lot. But I would anticipate that it is more controlled than the athlete supplying them. In Gerdes' case, she had preliminary findings of Ostarine in her supplement; however, they were not able to replicate the finding, thus the 2 year vs 6 mos/4 yr bans.

3.) With regard to manufacturing - for those questioning "how does this happen?" - there are a scant few brands that actually manufacture their own supplements (including salt) on their own equipment. Otherwise, you're at the risk of whatever is residue in the equipment from the line that was produced/bottled before yours. There's also little/no regulation...which isn't likely to change given the current federal administration.

4.) Why don't these athletes out the company? Because commercial libel/slander is a hell of a charge, and penalties of lost revenues, etc. gets difficult. Also, without knowing why X brand was contaminated...that gets messy. Considering the bank accounts of most pro triathletes, and the expense of defending a lawsuit...the cost-benefit analysis is simply not worth it.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

4.) Why don't these athletes out the company? Because commercial libel/slander is a hell of a charge, and penalties of lost revenues, etc. gets difficult. Also, without knowing why X brand was contaminated...that gets messy. Considering the bank accounts of most pro triathletes, and the expense of defending a lawsuit...the cost-benefit analysis is simply not worth it.

What if Beth just said "I found traces of ostarine in X product during 1 test but in another test I found none". (and that's all she says.... doesn't bash said company and lets the readers do that themselves). As long as she could provide proof of those tests, I don't see how that could be slander since there was proof it was true.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its still a question of fact as to whether or not it is an untruthful statement about the manufacturer, at which point you're still going to trial (because reputation harm / provable damages get you past summary judgment / motion to dismiss).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Its still a question of fact as to whether or not it is an untruthful statement about the manufacturer, at which point you're still going to trial (because reputation harm / provable damages get you past summary judgment / motion to dismiss).

Well so on the flip side, what are the chances Beth would have a case to go after the supplement company?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Product liability would be interesting...off the top of my head, issues of injury and damages / mitigation. Not to mention that supplements are so unregulated...and USADA/WADA being really more a workplace regulation than anything else.

More expensive / time consuming than its worth, and likely a fool's errand.

Last edited by: rrheisler: Feb 7, 17 9:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:
zedzded,
I am guessing that her decision to not continue after the ban may have something to do with her age, her family and the ban has zapped her spirit. She is getting up in age as a pro triathlete and 2 years is a long time to be away from sport and competition.

In addition, she is pregnant with her second kid, which makes coming back that much harder. I feel like we see pro woman who have one kid, I wonder how many women keep competing as pros once they have two.
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

What if Beth just said "I found traces of ostarine in X product during 1 test but in another test I found none". (and that's all she says.... doesn't bash said company and lets the readers do that themselves). As long as she could provide proof of those tests, I don't see how that could be slander since there was proof it was true.
What good would it do her? If she has a suit against the company or is even considering it, she would be advised not to say. I know everyone thinks they are owed the info but there is only downside to her to say it and the only upside is to out them for others to avoid. I'm all for the greater good but not if it puts me and my family at risk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So Gerdes has more to say on her blog about her case. And she's reading ST obviously.
She also said her sample had leakage or something from another athletes sample. I would think that would negate the results immediately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:
So Gerdes has more to say on her blog about her case. And she's reading ST obviously.
She also said her sample had leakage or something from another athletes sample. I would think that would negate the results immediately.

Might have to watch that old Seinfeld episode where they test the "Fat-Free" yogurt.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas, I know you are very detailed in your approach to training/racing. Would you now consider pulling a small sample aside from each container of supplement/nutrition you take during training/racing? It would be tedious, but if you ever tested positive, you would have a sample from each batch of anything you consumed during the season. You could just have a small collection of baggies and jars for the season and then throw them out and restart each season.

This is going off the presumption that supplements can be tainted in the manufacturing process...
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [Tricoastal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As surprising as it may sound, professional athletes are expected to strictly monitor any and every substance that goes into their body. That is why many high level athletes don't take supplements and if they do, they take it from a reputable manufacturer. You'll notice that none of the athletes list what manufacturer supplement was contaminated with the illegal substance. You'd think that this would be public information, and if the athlete was in fact innocent, to warn other athletes of potential products to steer clear from, but none will mention what caused them to fail the test. Why? These two doping bans are the 6th and 7th triathlon doping bans from USADA...ever. They should be required to publicize the supplement that caused the failed test; if it was an honest mistake, they've nothing to hide. If the manufacturer of the supplement screwed up, WHO IS THE MANUFACTURER? Until this is known, the athlete is the one who screwed up because they put it in their body.
Quote Reply

Prev Next