Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I know the work she put in.//

I see people use this phrase all the time, but what really does it(do you) mean? As far as I know, dopers and clean athletes work just as hard as each other, how much work someone puts in has "0" to do with weather they doped or not. Come to think of it, the dopers I have known and trained with did put in more work, for obvious reasons. But work ethic I would never use as a factor in whether I think someone dopes or not.. That is just something that all great athletes have as part of their DNA, otherwise they would never have gotten where they have in sport.

I must be a real doper with the number of hours I train and only do Olympic distance stuff. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I know the work she put in.//

I see people use this phrase all the time, but what really does it(do you) mean? As far as I know, dopers and clean athletes work just as hard as each other, how much work someone puts in has "0" to do with weather they doped or not. Come to think of it, the dopers I have known and trained with did put in more work, for obvious reasons. But work ethic I would never use as a factor in whether I think someone dopes or not.. That is just something that all great athletes have as part of their DNA, otherwise they would never have gotten where they have in sport.
I think everyone agrees that dopers work hard. Maybe harder than most. As they are willing to put everything on the line including their integrity to win. They don't do it to replace hard work but to add the extra edge.
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just being a smart ass Dave :-)

Happy Super Bowl!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Honey wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:
If I take a giant step back and look at this as objectively as possible, I have a hard time believing the athelete justifications and reasons for testing positive.

In top of that, athelete have been universally warned about taking "supplements".

Right but that is thing, this is salt for crying out loud. It is not like it is something I just made up:

"Jacked"
- Increase FTP by 60 watts
- Increase Recovery Ability
- Have better sex etc

Athletes are going to need salt and other basic ingredients unless Ironman loosens up their policy on littering and we bring back bananas

I had a coach say the way he got salt during a race was to eat wheat thins. So, no salt tablets for me, I just ate wheat thins. Or crackers and pretzels on the run.
Sorry, these stories just get old after a while. And these are pro's leading by example? Not for me.

Have you checked the ingredients? Wait, you eat a Denny's a lot.....so go figure....

I never take a supplement to help improve my performance, increase recovery, etc. But, maybe I am the exception. I just train hard
But you have a link for Boom nutrition and a discount code listed in your signature...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:
...the smoke and mirrors and logic...

The smoke, mirrors, and logic are the same whether is cycling or swimming or track and field or UFC or just about any other sport when somebody gets a positive result...

I didn't know it was in what I was taking.

I worked harder.

I changed my entire approach to training.

I cleaned up my diet.

I changed my cadence.

My coach gave it to me.

And I'm not making a judgement with the above statement one way or another. People have claimed for a long time that triathlon is clean. Mainly because there was no real testing program in long distance. And yet, even without a real testing program through the "EPO era" of cycling, there were a few busts here and there in tri. But with no robust testing program how were we to know? Triathlon could simply claim that there haven't been that many positive tests which was (and is) basicially true.

Now there is a testing program for long course that started around 2010 (maybe a year or two later), and like Dan said above there still is not a robust results management program. Maybe (with a grain of salt) with the WTC/ITU partnership it will get better but positives, especially at the highest level, are bad for business.

So we get a few positives, and we see the above responses to a test. I'm not disagreeing with cross-contamination defense. Salt tablets were the issues 10+ years ago with at least 2 other athletes, who did not end up receiving a suspension. And we get the nice person, etc. reasoning because the assumption is that only jerks cheat or that I spend time with that person they couldn't do it under my nose.

Dan has written extensively about it. And he has been accused, rightly so, of defending athletes in question too much. He has admitted it in this thread. The system is not set up against the athlete. I'd argue that if anything it is set up in favor of the athlete. As pros, the onus is on the athlete to know what they are ingesting. And, it's also incumbent on an athlete who has tested positive (A sample and B sample) to show that it is some biological/physiological (that's been used) reason that they did or show other proof (like cross contamination) that it was an inaccurate result. That the smoke and mirrors were not smoke and mirrors but logic and proof.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Last edited by: -BrandonMarshTX: Feb 5, 17 15:09
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Just being a smart ass Dave :-)

Happy Super Bowl!

Is there a football game on today? :)

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Honey wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:
If I take a giant step back and look at this as objectively as possible, I have a hard time believing the athelete justifications and reasons for testing positive.

In top of that, athelete have been universally warned about taking "supplements".

Right but that is thing, this is salt for crying out loud. It is not like it is something I just made up:

"Jacked"
- Have better sex etc

Athletes are going to need salt and other basic ingredients unless Ironman loosens up their policy on littering and we bring back bananas

I had a coach say the way he got salt during a race was to eat wheat thins. So, no salt tablets for me, I just ate wheat thins. Or crackers and pretzels on the run.
Sorry, these stories just get old after a while. And these are pro's leading by example? Not for me.

Have you checked the ingredients? Wait, you eat a Denny's a lot.....so go figure....

I never take a supplement to help improve my performance, increase recovery, etc. But, maybe I am the exception. I just train hard

But you have a link for Boom nutrition and a discount code listed in your signature...

So? Are they sold as supplements? I have to eat something while racing, and Boom gels have always worked for me since I take nothing else in a race but water.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Honey wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:

"Jacked"
- Have better sex etc

So? Are they sold as supplements? I have to eat something while racing, and Boom gels have always worked for me since I take nothing else in a race but water.

Gels are every bit as much a supplement as salt.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the investigation is ongoing then you cannot name the company/salt manufacturer...
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [jordanac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The investigation must be over and everything all finalised otherwise the bans couldn't have been given.
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
http://www.triathlete.com/2017/02/ironman/two-triathlon-doping-bans-announced-today_298328

"Pro Women"

Fuck that term gets thrown around way too easily these days in the age of instagram.

If they were...this wouldn't of happened.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:
BryanD wrote:
http://www.triathlete.com/2017/02/ironman/two-triathlon-doping-bans-announced-today_298328

"Pro Women"

Fuck that term gets thrown around way too easily these days in the age of instagram.

If they were...this wouldn't of happened.

Why? what do you mean this wouldn't have happened?
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If you're a professional - you do your diligence. Unfortunately these silly muppets are just playing at it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:
If you're a professional - you do your diligence. Unfortunately these silly muppets are just playing at it.

Summarised perfectly.
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [moonmonkey02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unless they took it on purpose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
unless they took it on purpose.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-BrandonMarshTX wrote:
with a grain of salt

Careful!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Really? You don't see the problem here, or the contradiction? Please define a "supplement". These were (ostensibly) salt tablets for fucks sake, common as muck in our sport, often to be found strapped to handlebars in little dispensers. No different than racing with gels carrying industrially produced electrolytes, surely?

Have you fooled yourself into believing that the not "sold as supplements" gels you buy are totally natural products, because they use real fruit juices? Which tree does Potassium Benzoate grow on, please? Where do they harvest their malic acid?

Here are some malic acid salts which are added to the gels you take when you race. Looks kind of supplementy to me.

Pros ought to be more careful, for sure. But let's think about our own actions before casting judgement.

For info.. Boom Grape and Pomegranate carb gels:

INGREDIENTS
Maltodextrin, Water, Pineapple Syrup, Concord and Red Grape Concentrates, Natural Flavors, Pomegranate Concentrate, Potassium Citrate, Sea Salt, Citric Acid, Tartaric Acid, Malic Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Potassium Benzoate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
The investigation must be over and everything all finalised otherwise the bans couldn't have been given.

I think they meant any potential suit investigation.
Last edited by: DomerTriGuy: Feb 6, 17 3:22
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a "salt" user myself and was very curious as to which salt products these athletes used. I wish they'd just come out and name the product since so many other athletes could end up in the same situation of "unknowingly" using "contaminated" salt. I use Salt Stick and quickly went to their website to check their manufacturing and testing protocol. They should bump this to their front page in wake of this recent ban involving salt products : http://saltstick.com/...rug-testing/#testing
--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [More Cowbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More Cowbell wrote:
I'm a "salt" user myself and was very curious as to which salt products these athletes used. I wish they'd just come out and name the product since so many other athletes could end up in the same situation of "unknowingly" using "contaminated" salt. I use Salt Stick and quickly went to their website to check their manufacturing and testing protocol. They should bump this to their front page in wake of this recent ban involving salt products : http://saltstick.com/...rug-testing/#testing
--

I beleive one of the athletes (Barnett) was using Neurolytes (https://classifiednutrition.com/...olytes-100-capsules/). I'd never heard of the brand until yesterday and I imagine most other people haven't either.

Maybe I'm a skeptic but reading Beth Gerdes blog post makes her look worse, the WTC didn't buy what she is trying to sell so I don't know why I should either when they have significantly more information regarding this situation than I ever will. Not saying she did or didn't intentionally take a banned substance but her blog post reeks of 'woe is me'.
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
I would guess either they are sponsored by them or fear of lawsuit?

Perhaps the athletes have lawyers who are telling them to keep the name of the manufacturer quiet while they work out a settlement.

Mislabeling, contamination and false advertising are illegal. Even if the presence of the banned substance is in the salt tablets as a result of contamination in the manufacturing process, it is, at the least, negligence on the part of the manufacturer and actionable. Our tort system, including the ability of plaintiff's attorneys to charge contingent fees, may have the best, sometimes only, regulatory effect on industry. If these athletes used tablets from a bottle labeled "salt tablets," read the ingredients and saw no mention of ostarine, then they should absolutely sue to recover for the damages to their livelihood and reputation and to cause the manufacturer to meet its duty to provide uncontaminated products.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:

Clearly not a professional writer ;) what due diligence should they have done. I agree the brand name in Lauren's case is a little sketch

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [stickboy1125] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stickboy1125 wrote:
More Cowbell wrote:
--

I beleive one of the athletes (Barnett) was using Neurolytes (https://classifiednutrition.com/...olytes-100-capsules/). I'd never heard of the brand until yesterday and I imagine most other people haven't either.

Maybe I'm a skeptic but reading Beth Gerdes blog post makes her look worse, the WTC didn't buy what she is trying to sell so I don't know why I should either when they have significantly more information regarding this situation than I ever will. Not saying she did or didn't intentionally take a banned substance but her blog post reeks of 'woe is me'.

I think the BIGGER question in all this is why the athlete was using Neurolytes when they are/were sponsored by Nuun:

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Feb 6, 17 10:37
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply

Prev Next