Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Sean H wrote:
stevej wrote:
Sean H wrote:

This is the same company that advertises that one of their products increases VO2 max and anaerobic threshold. Which means it is either a PED or fools gold.

Honest question.... have you read this:

http://firstendurance.com/...nHPProtoResearch.pdf

I had not. So it's a "herb" that increases vo2 max and anaerobic threshold. How is it not a PED then? Because it's an herb? How do we define PED?

I don't see it as a supplement that DIRECTLY increases vo2 max or anaerobic threshold. Can you increase them without a good training plan? I don't think so. It doesn't directly boost performance. I see it as a supplement that assists with recovery and helps keep you "fresh" which then allows you to train harder day in, day out, which then could lead to better performance.

Understood, but that's the same way some of the most effective PEDs work too.
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I don't see it as a supplement that DIRECTLY increases vo2 max or anaerobic threshold. Can you increase them without a good training plan? I don't think so. It doesn't directly boost performance. I see it as a supplement that assists with recovery and helps keep you "fresh" which then allows you to train harder day in, day out, which then could lead to better performance.

Your description fits almost every PED on Wada's banned list.

I see Optygen as one of those grey-area supplements that is just a slippery slope away from banned substances. I think it's against the principles of clean sport to use it.

You might argue, "Then we should also ban caffeine." And I would respond, "When 80% of americans start pouring themselves a cup of Optygen in the morning, I'll be fine with athletes taking it to improve their performance. Until then, I think it's unethical and should be banned."
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
realtalk wrote:
Getting back to threshold levels; they're set to filter out the 'accidental contamination' and false positives by triggering the alarm only at levels that are more or less...blatantly intentional. For Ostarine to show up on a test it would take levels that are taken consistently and not accidentally.

I don't want to put words into your mouth but it sounds like you're saying it's basically impossible for Gerdes and Barnett (or whoever claims supplement contamination) to pop positive purely from the "cross-contaminated" supplement... that they would actually have to be dosing with Ostarine in those cases.

I've sat on a number of court martials from my time in the military and I recall one drug case where the accused claims someone spiked his drink at a bar with cocaine. I.e., the accused was not contesting a positive drug test, but giving an alibi for it. Among other instructions to the panel, we were told that in weighing the evidence and claims of the accused, we could use our best judgement gained from life experience to determine the truthfulness of the witness. Based on that experience, senior officers on the panel including myself voted guilty, but the accused airman was acquitted by the junior officers on the panel. The wing JAG lived near me and I stopped by his house on the way home that evening to inquire about the airman's personnel folder ... whether this was an isolated instance or he was a problem child. Answer - he was a first class dirt bag but that past is inadmissible in court.

While admitting the mere plausibility of truthfulness in the triathlon examples, life experience tells me that the 'stories' presented by these women fit a long and continuing pattern followed by dopers. The drug test is accepted, but there is always some reason why the athletes inadvertent ingested it. And the fact that livelihood's are at stake on performance outcomes for pros gives strong basis for motive. Again, it doesn't mean these ladies intentionally used Ostarine, but I would put high odds (fairly or unfairly) that was the case.
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
If I were a female triathlete intentionally taking ostarine (because it sounds like ostarine is the "perfect" drug--builds muscle and reduces fat without the unpleasant side-effects that testosterone has on females) and I received a report of a positive test for it, here's how I'd react:
  • I would already know that ostarine is illegally put into a number of supplements.
  • I would already know that rules allow for a retroactive 6-month suspension if I can establish that the ostarine came from a contaminated supplement.
  • I would already know that an amateur female triathlete received such a suspension for that exact reason.
  • I would hire the same attorney who represented the aforementioned amateur.
  • Then I would go to my closet and dig out the two jars of salt-tab supplements I had purchased before I started my ostarine dosing. I would have picked these supplements based on them sounding "a little shady", with a name like "Classified Nutrition", suggesting that "we won't tell you everything that's in them." That they contain Rhodiola Rosea would have helped that decision, as "the internet" believes Rhodiola to reduce fat and help endurance (the same things that ostarine does).
  • I would open one bottle and dump out half the contents, and then send both bottles to Ironman and report I had been taking it.
  • I would hope that people would ignore the fact that I'm sponsored by a well-respected triathlon salt-tab company who presumably gives me all the salt tabs I need (which, at $22 per 100, are not cheap for hard-training athlete).
  • I would sit back and hope hope hope that the Classified Nutrition bottles tested positive for ostarine.

• And if I had put even more care into my doping program, I wouldn't even have to hope that the Classified Nutrition bottle contained ostarine--I would already know that because I would've already had it tested and found that it had. I would've tested 4-5 different brands, under the guise of "making sure they're not contaminated", and then picked the one that came back positive.

Preposterous? A crazed conspiracy theory? I'm not suggesting that any of the athletes banned for ostarine did anything of the sort. But we need to acknowledge that such a plan would rank maybe a 2/10 on the scale of charades and deviousness used to avoid a doping conviction.

Not preposterous at all. As I have read through this thread the last few days and given it thought, I had come to the same conclusions. Find a product that is already contaminated with ostarine, don't ever take that product but keep a couple bottles of it aside. Start doping with ostarine and hope I don't get tested. If I do, I have my alibi of contaminated pills that I know will test positive. I also agree this isn't that devious of a plan.

The one thing that makes it hard for me to accept these women pros excuses is that this seems to be the perfect PED for them to be taking. I don't think that is just a coincidence.
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to confess I'm not reading 11pages of this stuff, I just don't care that much. But I can't help wondering, has anyone every shown a supplement was genuinely "contaminated" with something as shady and obscure as this outside of a doping defense?
I just can't see what's in it for a supp manufacturer lacing their product with what must surely be a sub therapeutic dose of a chemical which isn't free and when the consumer couldn't possibly attribute the associated performance enhancement to their product, they are no more likely to be a repeat customer. Maybe with some kind of illicit stimulant that's gives an instant and attributable 'hit' but not something more long term. I just can't see it
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This kind of reminds me of the stories you hear on the news about when people order the 'extra crispy' french fries at McDonalds and end up with a cup full of marijuana. I am not sure how many of you have been to the trade shows where they market these products but it would not be unheard of for someone to advertise to athletes they can make a special batch for them.

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:
The one thing that makes it hard for me to accept these women pros excuses is that this seems to be the perfect PED for them to be taking. I don't think that is just a coincidence.

It's not a coincidence. If supplement contamination was such as big problem in triathlon, more people would be testing positive for banned substances and it wouldn't just be women and Ostarine.
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [stickboy1125] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stickboy1125 wrote:
jpay wrote:

It's not a coincidence. If supplement contamination was such as big problem in triathlon, more people would be testing positive for banned substances and it wouldn't just be women and Ostarine.

Unless of course lots of cases are sort of swept under the rug.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [stickboy1125] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stickboy1125 wrote:
jpay wrote:

I simply wonder if the ostarine levels in the unopened bottle that was tested were at levels high enough to trigger a positive test? If it was me, I would camp out at the testing agency for a week eating nothing but bland pasta noodles, drinking distilled water and pounding that bottle of salt pills so I that I could get re-tested and prove that tainted salt pills were, in fact, the culprit.
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [Boz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boz wrote:
stickboy1125 wrote:
jpay wrote:

I simply wonder if the ostarine levels in the unopened bottle that was tested were at levels high enough to trigger a positive test? If it was me, I would camp out at the testing agency for a week eating nothing but bland pasta noodles, drinking distilled water and pounding that bottle of salt pills so I that I could get re-tested and prove that tainted salt pills were, in fact, the culprit.

That was the question I posed and a couple of people in this thread (who seem somewhat knowledgeable) pretty much said it wouldn't trigger a positive test. So basically anyone testing positive for this were doing so purposefully and willingly, i.e. they were cheating.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Feb 10, 17 9:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
That was the question I posed and a couple of people in this thread (who seem somewhat knowledgeable) pretty much said it wouldn't trigger a positive test. So basically anyone testing positive for this were doing so purposefully and willingly, i.e. they were cheating.
Or at least the ones claiming they're knowledgeable.
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It can still be performance enhancing without being banned. Science is ahead of wada. Not to say that 1/some of the Ingredients may not be banned in the future. If they are herbal they are harder to regulate but can still be very potent and if so eventually may be banned. Has happened before. If some of the non Performance enhancing chemicals which make up a certain plant species are isolated occasionally a chemical that has benefit can be found. Concentrate it and put it in your product and call it natural , plant based and ppl assume it's safe to take, until it triggers a positive and they realise that lovely plant has the same chemical make up as a banned PED, may even be where it comes from in the first place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
stevej wrote:

Your description fits almost every PED on Wada's banned list.

I see Optygen as one of those grey-area supplements that is just a slippery slope away from banned substances. I think it's against the principles of clean sport to use it.

You might argue, "Then we should also ban caffeine." And I would respond, "When 80% of americans start pouring themselves a cup of Optygen in the morning, I'll be fine with athletes taking it to improve their performance. Until then, I think it's unethical and should be banned."
The point of anti-doping is not just to prevent cheating but to prevent the abuse of our talented athletes. In the past the lives of athletes were shortened and their health damaged by unscrupulous coaches etc who forced drug and substance use on their athletes. Just because a herb is not banned does not make it safe to use.
This company did a very good job of proving the performance enhancing abilities of Optygen, but where is its safety studies?
I agree that there is no difference between using a banned known PED and a non banned known PED.
Why risk your long term health taking untested plant extracts. No one would just walk out into the bush and assume all plants are safe, why do they allow marketers to make you believe the opposite.
Elite athletes are national treasures and IMHO we need to address safety testing of the supplement industry. Athletes go looking for help with cramping or exhaustion and are offered a range of really quite dodgy products.
pS I have worked all my life in analytical chemistry including doping testing and drug and natural medicine safety testing
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So beth is out of IM, but doing challenge wanaka this weekend. so is there any control going on at challenge series? perhaps different rules, and they probably believe her case
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought she was pregnant? Is it safe to "race" while pregnant? I have no idea honestly. Maybe she's just going to take it easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's not doing wanaka. Luke is.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it safe to "race" while pregnant?
---

Yes. Lots of women have done it with no harm to themselves nor their babies. The risk is in crashing, which I imagine is far less in racing than in driving around town.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [Trimum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trimum wrote:
The point of anti-doping is not just to prevent cheating but to prevent the abuse of our talented athletes. In the past the lives of athletes were shortened and their health damaged by unscrupulous coaches etc who forced drug and substance use on their athletes. Just because a herb is not banned does not make it safe to use.
This company did a very good job of proving the performance enhancing abilities of Optygen, but where is its safety studies?
I agree that there is no difference between using a banned known PED and a non banned known PED.
Why risk your long term health taking untested plant extracts. No one would just walk out into the bush and assume all plants are safe, why do they allow marketers to make you believe the opposite.
Elite athletes are national treasures and IMHO we need to address safety testing of the supplement industry. Athletes go looking for help with cramping or exhaustion and are offered a range of really quite dodgy products.
pS I have worked all my life in analytical chemistry including doping testing and drug and natural medicine safety testing

I agree. A few days ago on twitter I asked First Endurance about the shadiness of marketing it as a PED (yes, I know that twitter isn't the place for detailed discussion, but someone else just given a shout-out to the company as being ultra-clean, and I thought that was, at best, nonsense).

You can find the conversation on my twitter if you want, but their basic response was that they consider Optygen a "health restorer," bringing people back to a healthy condition after they've trained too hard. I asked if was then like taking testosterone (bringing people back to "healthy" levels), and they said yes, except injecting testosterone is illegal.

I said I didn't think it was in the spirit of fair competition to take a drug to boost VO2, and they countered that taking carbs and taking iron isn't banned, so Optygen shouldn't be banned either. Which was possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever read, considering that if athletes didn't ingest carbs or iron they would literally die. I suspect nobody has ever died from not taking Optygen.

Anyway, I understand their perspective, but I don't quite know why it's not banned. I assume it's either because:
a) It actually doesn't work; or,
b) There's no blood/urine test for the active ingredients.

Whichever the reason, my biggest problem with it is the marketing--it's the same type of claims you see from many of the banned substances. And the fact that well-respected pro's advertise for First Endurance gives that type of marketing credibility in the eyes of age-groupers, and I think that is terrible for the health and safety of impressionable athletes who may end up taking all sorts of shady "performance boosters" because they see their favorite pro's supporting a company that makes a similarly marketed product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, tried to answer many of the questions in this thread here: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...sing_AAFs__6214.html

- steps to show contaminated supplement actually caused an AAF
- why the various scenarios about athletes doping and then blaming it on a supplement don't hold water
- why you can actually put some faith in reduced sanctions when they are given
- and some more.

But the bottom line is this, given the numerous options out there for safe, reliable products, no athlete should get an AAF for a contaminated supplement if they are diligent in researching what they are taking.

Oh, and these articles are already too long, but to give some clarity, as of today, this is the list of all 37 supplements and their manufacturers on the Supplement411.org HRL that would be considered "contaminated," meaning that they don't list a prohibited substance on the label (or didn't at the time they were put on the HRL). You decide how much sympathy you have for someone who takes a product like this:

Neurolytes Classified Nutrition
K4 TriPharm
EPH 100 Hard Rock Supplements
HGH X Black Dragon Labs
SRM-YK11-LGD-4033 Pure Growth Blend Xcel Sports Nutrition
Reaper DNA Resurrection Xcel Sports Nutrition
Ar1macare Pro Olympus Labs
3-Test-OXO Complete Nutrition
Geeked IP Pharma
Infrared Gold Star Performance
Shred RX Gold Star Performance
Triple X Gold Star Performance
Methyl 1-3 Epic Labs
Swag Shot Celtic Labs
1024 Achievement Through Science (ATS) Labs
Hysteria NuBreed Nutrition
Heliotropin NuBreed Nutrition
Xtreme Mass Fusion Supplements / Predator Nutrition
Mesomorph 2.0 APS Nutrition
Green Stinger Schwartz Labs
Andro-Lean Stack Advanced Muscle Science
VitaminZ Beyond Genetics Supplements
TriAdalean Covaxil Laborotories
Natural Strength Advanced Anabolic Technologies Xcel Sports Nutrition
Diezel Beyond Genetics Supplements
Detonate Gaspari Nutrition
Alpha-1 Shredded Labs
ABSolute Fuel BioScience Institute Inc
Thermal XTC Nutrabolics
Storm X-Pro Xcel Sports Nutrition
PR-XT Advanced Man Sports
Epic Liquid Pre-Workout LG Sciences
Chainsaw vigor Labs
Natadrol LG Sciences
ISA-Test iSatori
Hydravax Metabolic Nutrition
DecaSARM RDe Chrome Advanced Muscle Science

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: Feb 16, 17 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a sad state of affairs when consumers can't trust products with names that include Reaper, Hysteria, Diezel, Detonate, Chainsaw,......and Classified.......to actually contain only what is on their labels. Enjoy your Swag Shots during training, everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [GLindy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GLindy wrote:
It's a sad state of affairs when consumers can't trust products with names that include Reaper, Hysteria, Diezel, Detonate, Chainsaw,......and Classified.......to actually contain only what is on their labels. Enjoy your Swag Shots during training, everyone.
Haha. My favorite was HGH X Black Dragon labs. How many warning signs can a single name give?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick question: Which one of those supplements has the most lightening bolts on the label?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
FYI, don't take anything that 1) promises to make you "Hard As a Motherf***er"

So... no more Viagra???

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Two pro women receive doping bans [hutchy_belfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hutchy_belfast wrote:
I have to confess I'm not reading 11pages of this stuff, I just don't care that much. But I can't help wondering, has anyone every shown a supplement was genuinely "contaminated" with something as shady and obscure as this outside of a doping defense?

This doesn't answer your question, but a jury or peers were convinced that swimmer Kicker Vencill was legitimately the victim of a contaminated supplement. And everyone who knew him, including many Olympians was convinced of his innocence.

But this was 2003. Interesting the resources available to athletes now to avoid accidental contamination is much greater than it was in 2003, but Vencill was unable to get his ban reduced despite overwhelming evidence. ThanksObama.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:

Anyway, I understand their perspective, but I don't quite know why it's not banned. I assume it's either because:
a) It actually doesn't work; or,

Bingo
Quote Reply

Prev Next