Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Two kinds of customers: What do think we should do? [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a fellow Houstonian, I appreciate your frustration. Webster Cycles would be my suggestion. Great people to work with and a terrific mechanic. Sorry for the SPAM, but I trust these guys.

BikeBarn service is great, but don't care for the feeling that I have better product knowledge than the sales floor guys. Stay warm this weekend!!! I asked about TriBikes once, and was told they could order a Hilo, that was their response... no other inquiries or suggestions, just "we can order a Trek Hiko."

Best of Luck and let me know if you open your own bike shop! Probably the only way to get better product knowledge, fit, and service. Too bad we're the "Fatest City!" and couldn't support a truly great Tri-LBS.
Quote Reply
Re: Two kinds of customers: What do think we should do? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I'm glad I posted this thread.

Tom, I'm glad you posted this thread also. This and other threads are helping educate me in the joys and perils of the bike biz. I'm four years from retiring from the Marine Corps and I intend to go into either tri-shop or tri-coaching biz. Either way I want to spend my days running my yap about something I really love. (I don't really enjoy discussing how to kill the enemy. Its my duty)

This is as good a proxy for actually working in a shop as I can find for right now. Lots of knowlegeable people on both sides of the fence....
Quote Reply
Re: Two kinds of customers: What do think we should do? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whenever a customer came in, I would listen to what he/she said. Then I would ask questions to find out what kind of riding he was doing. I would show them a few bikes that I felt were appropriate for them, and if they asked for something specific, I would how them that. I would explain the pros and cons of all the bikes I had shown- I never show a lot of bikes, only a few lest they confuse them. I would let then test ride. I would tell them which bike I felt was best for them, explain how I was going to get a commission on any bike I sold them, how they would be properly fitted, and then I would tell them to think about and call me when they were ready.

I report, they decide. I have told guys that the bike was too big for them even if they wanted to have a 58cm like their buddy, but I would tell them I would sell it to them anyway if they wanted it. I have had guys bring back bikes, and I would say I told you so, then I would work them a trade in deal- how I got one of mine cheaply. I am honest, but I cannot make up somebody buy something if they have their heart set on something else. All I can do is try to guide them. Again, they decide.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply

Prev Next