Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
You can keep your mechanical shifting. I will never go back. I like it because you can shift while standing. I have had mechanical shifting go bad on me to.

How often do you need to shift while standing, either in a triathlon or while training for a triathlon? I can see some benefit if you are bike racing, but for triathlon...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about shifting while standing, but being able to shift while on the basebar would be nice and the ease of adjusting the di2 on my road bike is amazing. Plus the smoothness of the shifts is very noticeable
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [RP29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stories like this make me happy I stayed with a mechanical setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
danstu4 wrote:
You can keep your mechanical shifting. I will never go back. I like it because you can shift while standing. I have had mechanical shifting go bad on me to.

How often do you need to shift while standing, either in a triathlon or while training for a triathlon? I can see some benefit if you are bike racing, but for triathlon...

I cannot ever once in 20 years of racing standing and needing to shift. But I bet that makes one a lot faster, right. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [RP29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RP29 wrote:
Yes I do all my training and racing on the same bike and just happend while racing. I also mentioned the possibility of interference to the mechanic but he said that not possible. In kona that could've been a possibility with all the bikes around but in Cabos I was basically riding on my own when it happened.

I'm really sorry to hear about your issues. Both of these races represent large investments of training time and financial costs!

My guess is that SRAM management would be more interested in helping you out than the staff your LBS has managed to contact. SRAM personnel were at Kona and having a KQ'er ko'd with their premier component line is something that would/should concern them. They want to increase the use of eTap as Shimano is dominating the electronic shifting market. Ask your LBS to elevate the issue with SRAM and try contacting SRAM through social media channels. If you use LinkedIn in your profession, a quick search of SRAM public relations should provide another means of contact.

I have been using Shimano DI2 for years. Finding LBS wrenches with DI2 experience has always proved difficult, if not impossible. Diagnosing DI2 at the LBS just isn't available in my area and the only sure diagnosis for some issues typically requires swapping parts. Since the LBS doesn't stock DI2 this falls to the end user. With eTap being much newer to the market I assume this same situation is pretty common.

My wife was knocked out of a KQ attempt during the extreme weather one year in Whistler due to a (gen1) DI2 shifting failure. We were sure it was moisture related. It took some repeat issues later to discover it was actually a pinched wire at the aerobars and it only occurred intermittently. For your case, I'd recommend just swapping out the blipbox harness, etc. If this takes doing it at your own cost for now I'd rationalize that this is a much lower cost than lost race fees, travel, qualifying, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the amount of sitting up you do, I would think you would need electronic.
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [rs1852] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rs1852 wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [rs1852] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rs1852 wrote:

Really, how do you know that?

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
These are the kind of stories that want me to stay mechanical. Since electronic does not make anyone faster, just lighter in the pocket book, ......

Agreed. I'm still riding 10 speed Ultegra haha. Electronic is cool but it won't make me faster.

Who are you, and what have you done with BryanD??

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have admitted it your other thread, and honestly you probably would benefit from electronic the most, but let me guess you need to collect data to determine that, sorry I derailed the thread
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
These are the kind of stories that want me to stay mechanical. Since electronic does not make anyone faster, just lighter in the pocket book, ......

Agreed. I'm still riding 10 speed Ultegra haha. Electronic is cool but it won't make me faster.

Yeah - I feel properly sorry for the OP because having your hard work screwed up by a glitch like this is awful, but I've thought for a long that electronic shifting is a solution looking for a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [Monastero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check your source on that. Short chainstays in combination with compact rings could give you trouble with front shifts as they are outside of SRAM's specs for this product, but saying it won't work on Shiv is absolutely false.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you attempt to shift on the Blipbox itself during these times you were having trouble? Although the box is a little clunky, it is useful as a troubleshooting tool and as a functional backup to blips that can prone to damage due to long wires and exposure to sweat/Gatorade/weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rs1852 wrote:
You have admitted it your other thread, and honestly you probably would benefit from electronic the most, but let me guess you need to collect data to determine that, sorry I derailed the thread

I admitted what? That once in a while I sit up, just like everyone else. I also sit up, like most, on all up hills.

Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [MVM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check yours.
My source is SRAM and having actually installed it... It does not work well with a 53 x 39 set up or smaller.
SRAM indicated it should not be used on a bike with <405mm stays...a suggestion for a work around was to "try a 54 x 42"...
SRAM removed.
Google this. It is a fairly well-known issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot. Especially in Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i stood a lot in Kona and shifted. I guess cents you have 20 years of racing you are an expert right!! Raced Kona without standing once and wanted to shift and rode under 4:40 right!
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My takeaway from this thread: it's November and a lot of people are bored.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
-=

well played....
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [Monastero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monastero wrote:
Check yours.
My source is SRAM and having actually installed it... It does not work well with a 53 x 39 set up or smaller.
SRAM indicated it should not be used on a bike with <405mm stays...a suggestion for a work around was to "try a 54 x 42"...
SRAM removed.

Don’t know what you’re talking about. I have a 52/34 compact on my Shiv and have had no issues for the last 2 years I’ve owned it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

x 2! It seems relatively rare that electronic gears fail, but still happens to enough people that I know to give me the fear!
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [rotosound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rotosound wrote:
Because mechanical drivetrains never break or come out adjustment? OK.

Very rarely. And I'd imagine 90% of the time an allen key would fix it up in a few mins.

I've never ridden electronic, so I don't really know how often these systems fail and how easy they are to fix on the fly, I guess I just like the peace of mind with mechanical and with the cost of electronic gears plus the added risk, it doesn't seem worth it. I'd love it on my road bike, which I use for training though, especially out in the hills. But yeah racing, I want simple as possible.
Last edited by: zedzded: Nov 13, 17 16:53
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when you're an IM AG world champion you get a pass :)

ChrisM wrote:
danstu4 wrote:
-=

well played....
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Monastero wrote:
Check yours.
SRAM removed.

Don’t know what you’re talking about. I have a 52/34 compact on my Shiv and have had no issues for the last 2 years I’ve owned it.

Short chainstays can make shifting adjustments finicky, but I think SRAM's concerns are about extreme cross chaining rather than these setups working. See page 13 here: https://www.sram.com/...t_spec_2017_road.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
rotosound wrote:
Because mechanical drivetrains never break or come out adjustment? OK.

Very rarely. And I'd imagine 90% of the time an allen key would fix it up in a few mins.

I've never ridden electronic, so I don't really know how often these systems fail and how easy they are to fix on the fly, I guess I just like the peace of mind with mechanical and with the cost of electronic gears plus the added risk, it doesn't seem worth it. I'd love it on my road bike, which I use for training though, especially out in the hills. But yeah racing, I want simple as possible.

Just the thought of having to deal with batteries is why would I want one more thing to worry about during a race. But, if that new bike I want with discs brakes only has electronic, .... :(

Quote Reply

Prev Next