Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Two ironmans a month apart??
Quote | Reply
I signed up for IM Lake Placid on Jul 26, but saw that IM Ireland is June 21. I am considering doing both but they are only about a month apart. I have done 6 ironman races and am in pretty decent shape, but not sure if there is enough time to recover between races... I am not trying for a PR, but just want to finish. Any input on your experiences doing IM races so close together? Am I crazy? I have heard it is best to wait several months but I am not sure if that is really necessary..
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans a month apart?? [CTYankee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CTYankee wrote:
I signed up for IM Lake Placid on Jul 26, but saw that IM Ireland is June 21. I am considering doing both but they are only about a month apart. I have done 6 ironman races and am in pretty decent shape, but not sure if there is enough time to recover between races... I am not trying for a PR, but just want to finish. Any input on your experiences doing IM races so close together? Am I crazy? I have heard it is best to wait several months but I am not sure if that is really necessary..

Yeah if you’re just looking to have fun and finish it sounds fine.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Dec 17, 19 10:53
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans a month apart?? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did two IM’s in 5 weeks this year and had a PR bike and run in both races. It definitely can be done. In my opinion it is harder mentally than physically.
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans a month apart?? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I have done 6 ironman races"

Then you got it. I did three IMs in four months a while back, and the beauty is that I really only had to train for one. Train, taper, race, recover, taper again ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you use the Cork race as a training day, and TRULY back off everything to the point of purposely soft-jogging/walking most of the run, then you could still have a good race at Lake Placid.

Alternatively you could SMASH it at Cork, and then just have fun at Lake Placid and still finish respectably. You won't, likely, be able to make a great race out of both of them, but you certainly can have one good race and one "just for fun" race if you take it appropriately easy at the fun one. But there isn't really a reason, if you are in good shape, that you couldn't complete both and enjoy the experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IM South Africa and IM Texas 20 days apart in 2017. Typically takes me a month to recover, but a week after getting back from South Africa I felt fully recovered. I spent a few days pushing the envelope to see if I really was OK and it was all systems go. I signed up for Texas and booked flight/hotel 10 days before ... and was an hour faster at Texas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CTYankee wrote:
I have heard it is best to wait several months but I am not sure if that is really necessary..

Then there are those who say it is best to wait 12hrs before your next one.....You will be fine.

https://www.raitratasepp.ee/...disciplines-and-days

Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans a month apart?? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the info- I appreciate it! If I do these 2 IMs I'll probably take it easier in Ireland.
Quote Reply