Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Two critical flat tires in Kona today
Quote | Reply
Ali Brownlee flatted near Hawi and lost ONLY ~60-90s as neutral support was right there to give him a new wheel.
Sarah True flatted shortly after T1 and (I don’t know for sure) it seems that she lost ~15minutes.

With recent discussions about the benefits of tubeless setups over clinchers and tubulars; I’m wondering if anyone knows what type of tires True and Brownlee were running today?
Quote Reply
Re: Two critical flat tires in Kona today [Seth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seth wrote:
Ali Brownlee flatted near Hawi and lost ONLY ~60-90s as neutral support was right there to give him a new wheel.
Sarah True flatted shortly after T1 and (I don’t know for sure) it seems that she lost ~15minutes.

With recent discussions about the benefits of tubeless setups over clinchers and tubulars; I’m wondering if anyone knows what type of tires True and Brownlee were running today?

Looking at the last few years, 70% of pros have been one clinchers, very few on tubs and even fewer on tubeless. I believe Lange runs tubeless.
Quote Reply
Re: Two critical flat tires in Kona today [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Seth wrote:

Looking at the last few years, 70% of pros have been one clinchers, very few on tubs and even fewer on tubeless. I believe Lange runs tubeless.
I’ll have to look, but I thought someone reported that like 7 out of 10 pros were riding tubeless. i might be full of shit, but that’s what I remember.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seth wrote:

don't know about true. brownlee's is here:

i believe frodeno rode the same wheel and tire. kienle same wheel but schwalbe tire. i asked all 10 canyon pros, male and female, 7 tubeless, 3 tubed.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Two critical flat tires in Kona today [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Seth wrote:

I’ll have to look, but I thought someone reported that like 7 out of 10 pros were riding tubeless. i might be full of shit, but that’s what I remember.

I was looking at the ST articles from the past few years where they list the top 15 pros bike gear as I was looking into tyres and wanted to know what tyres they were running. I thought it was mostly clinchers? But I also might be full of shit!
Quote Reply
Re: Two critical flat tires in Kona today [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Seth wrote:

GTN were checking out Wurf's bike a few days ago and he had GP 5000s on, but was switching to Conti TTs for the race. The TT is a clincher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Seth wrote:

I was looking at the ST articles from the past few years where they list the top 15 pros bike gear as I was looking into tyres and wanted to know what tyres they were running. I thought it was mostly clinchers? But I also might be full of shit!

tubeless. not tubulars. tubeless clinchers. clinchers with no tubes, like your car (or your MTB). about half are conti, the other half are schwalbe.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Two critical flat tires in Kona today [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, 7 out of 10 Canyon pros...so just half full. I’ll take it, but glad the ol’ noggin could recall it some where.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Seth wrote:

tubeless. not tubulars. tubeless clinchers. clinchers with no tubes, like your car (or your MTB). about half are conti, the other half are schwalbe.

Yes I know. The ST article that listed the equipment stated either tubular, clincher or tubeless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brownlee changed wheel so support must have been right next to him.

There have been complaints in the past that there is no support vehicle for the women. Don’t know if that was the case with True.
Last edited by: Stumps: Oct 13, 19 3:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spoke to a guy from Brownlee's squad in the energy lab today (he seemed like a manager or something) and he said Ali was running tubeless and that today was the first time he was using them ever...

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Two critical flat tires in Kona today [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
I spoke to a guy from Brownlee's squad in the energy lab today (he seemed like a manager or something) and he said Ali was running tubeless and that today was the first time he was using them ever...

Nothing new on race day......

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Seth wrote:

GTN were checking out Wurf's bike a few days ago and he had GP 5000s on, but was switching to Conti TTs for the race. The TT is a clincher.
The last two year he has run butyl tubes I am not sure about this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Seth wrote:

TO was on Vittoria Corsa Speed tubs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless tubeless are somehow different, there's always more chance of flats when the roads are wet as debris more easily sticks to the tires. I was surprised that the announcing crew never mentioned that, at least what I heard, when the roads were wet in town at the beginning of the bike. I would have not been happy about wet roads at the time of the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Two critical flat tires in Kona today [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tubeless are just as likely to puncture as tubed, but have sealant so the odds of it resulting in a flat are much less.

Tubeless are a mess to change in a race, but that’s a non issue for the top pros who are counting on neutral support for a new wheel.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Two critical flat tires in Kona today [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the post race breakfast with Bob - Frodo says it looks like Brownlee had a soft tyre pretty early on and he asked him about it - odds are he lost so little time as he waited until he saw support before getting it swapped - presumably the sealant had worked - he just lost pressure so was able to carry on.
Quote Reply
Re: Two critical flat tires in Kona today [esuuv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, i recall some talk during the race that ali had a half-flat tyre, but i never got that clarified.

i'll be even more impressed if i hear he did that ride with one tyre half-flat!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Two critical flat tires in Kona today [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AB just says in his Instagram post that he flatted at Hawi.

Another semi-critical flat was Joe Skipper (6th place) who punctured 5 miles from the end of the bike when riding in the Wurf/Kienle/Sanders group. He also runs tubeless tyres.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So AB and Joe Skipper running tubless had flats. AB was able to ride on his for awhile until support came. Has anyone confirmed what tire setup Sarah True was riding?

Seems like a good amount of flats for pro's riding tubeless setups.

For my next setup I was considering tubeless but maybe I should just still with latex tubes with sealant inside.
Quote Reply
Re: Two critical flat tires in Kona today [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r0bh wrote:
Another semi-critical flat was Joe Skipper (6th place) who punctured 5 miles from the end of the bike when riding in the Wurf/Kienle/Sanders group. He also runs tubeless tyres.

That guy always seems to be flatting. Got a flat at IM Wales this year and was then dc’d For leaving stuff behind on the road after fixing it. Then there was IM Texas in 2017 he wasn’t flatted and wasn’t carrying a kit so he had to wait a while for neutral support.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Two critical flat tires in Kona today [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't really "change" a tubeless. If the puncture/cut is not filled in by sealant, then you just plug the hole, and fill up the tire with CO2 and off you go. I know that there are people who carry a tube in case of emergency for tubeless tires, but if you really think about it, the chance of using that tube is minimal and only in very unique situations. With the more standardized tubeless tire/rim interface, getting a tubeless tire off the rim is PITA even in the garage shop, let alone during a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Two critical flat tires in Kona today [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbie Hancock wrote:
So AB and Joe Skipper running tubless had flats. AB was able to ride on his for awhile until support came. Has anyone confirmed what tire setup Sarah True was riding?

Seems like a good amount of flats for pro's riding tubeless setups.

For my next setup I was considering tubeless but maybe I should just still with latex tubes with sealant inside.

I think this is red herring... a lot of pros rode tubeless, so of course you will see more flats in tubeless tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Two critical flat tires in Kona today [Stumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seth wrote:

Stumps wrote:
Brownlee changed wheel so support must have been right next to him.

There have been complaints in the past that there is no support vehicle for the women. Don’t know if that was the case with True.

When I fist saw this, I speculated that Brownlee had a "half flat" (tubeless puncture that sealed, but not before losing a significant amount of pressure) and continued until an opportune time to stop for neutral support. Apparently, that's pretty much exactly what happened.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Two critical flat tires in Kona today [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
You don't really "change" a tubeless. If the puncture/cut is not filled in by sealant, then you just plug the hole, and fill up the tire with CO2 and off you go.

Unless the plug fails, then you put in a tube. My plug success rate is pretty high. But if your original flat already blew out all the sealant, and the damage tends to be more of a cut than a nice round hole, there can be problems.

I would like someone to make a smaller version of the the fix-a-flat cannister. Something about the size of a 16oz CO2, but with 1oz of sealant. That'd be super helpful for plugs.
Quote Reply

Prev Next