Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Two athletes shot at Puerto Rico 70.3
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any details on what happened? All I have seen are some social media posts and an online news flash from some PR news site but all have lacked details.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: GMAN19030: Mar 15, 15 9:32
Quote Reply
Re: Two athletes shot at Puerto Rico 70.3 [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Anyone have any details on what happened? All I have seen is some social media posts and an online new flash from some PR news site but all have lacked details.

http://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/seguridad/nota/sustoporbalaceracercadelironman-2020258/#

two athletes hit by bullets

Quote Reply
Re: Two athletes shot at Puerto Rico 70.3 [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Anyone have any details on what happened? All I have seen is some social media posts and an online new flash from some PR news site but all have lacked details.

Friend was hit by shrapnel in the leg from a spectator opening fire on course. Man behind her was hit 3x. Police have suspect in custody, friend is being treated and is ok, no reports on man that was hit 3x.
Quote Reply
Re: Two athletes shot at Puerto Rico 70.3 [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Story translated

translate - Google Search

A shootout was staged around 8:00 am today in the Express Muñoz Rivera, near the Department of Justice in Miramar with one dead and a couple of athletes who pedaled their bicycles in the "Ironman 70.3 event Puerto Rico "wounded innocent victims.
A third native athlete from New Hampshire to get the shots missed the balance of the bike and if on an anthill, resulting bites. Although he continued in the event a while after he fainted in the oasis Housed in a Levittown.

An agent of the Uniformed who participated in the persecution of the gunmen in the Residential Manuel A. Pérez suffered an episode of hypertension.

Amid the shootout to the astonishment of citizens who watched the development of the sport several officers tried to intervene with the gunmen giving rise to a shootout. At least one Patrilla Police found with multiple gunshot wounds.

The man who was shot dead was a passenger in a Toyota bus that was abandoned in the street Olimpo steps from the Department of Justice. The bus was driven by his brother. It was said that both are neighbors Residencial El Prado, and had been living in the US where they returned recently.

Highway Patrol officers chased the gunmen traveling in a Ford Focus to the vicinity of Residential Manuel A. Pérez, where they were lost.

Subsequently, a Toyota "Four Runner" guagua linked to the gunmen was occupied in Logroño Street in Hato Rey.

This is the fifth time that the island is home to the "IronMan 70.3 Puerto Rico", an event bringing together 1,800 athletes from 50 countries worldwide and was scheduled to start at 6:50 am
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bcagle25 wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

Friend was hit by shrapnel in the leg from a spectator opening fire on course. Man behind her was hit 3x. Police have suspect in custody, friend is being treated and is ok, no reports on man that was hit 3x.

I would like to clear up that it was not a spectator who opened fire. It was a crossfire between two cars unrelated to the event. One of the persons in the car was shot dead by the other car.
The male triathlete shot is a friend and is in stable condition. It appears that he will be ok.

I hope that this unfortunate and isolated incident doesn't cast a shadow on what is a great race.
Quote Reply
Re: Two athletes shot at Puerto Rico 70.3 [donzist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still fucked right up.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Two athletes shot at Puerto Rico 70.3 [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
Still fucked right up.

That's an understatement!

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Two athletes shot at Puerto Rico 70.3 [donzist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those from outside the US it will change perceptions. The US is has a high tolerance for gun violence.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Two athletes shot at Puerto Rico 70.3 [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was watching the finish line live and thinking how I might consider this race next year, not now.
Quote Reply
Re: Two athletes shot at Puerto Rico 70.3 [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:
I was watching the finish line live and thinking how I might consider this race next year, not now.
I agree, no thanks

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bcagle25 wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

Yikes, I hope Liz is ok in the end and it doesn't turn into some thing worse.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, in the USA we DO NOT have a "tolerance" for gun violence.
It's a big country, the US constitution guarantees the "right to bear arms" and there is violence.
There isn't anyone on this forum who will agree that this sort of behavior is acceptable and to be tolerated.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:

This, along with equally terrible things, could happen pretty much anywhere and do happen everywhere.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Two athletes shot at Puerto Rico 70.3 [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STConcierge wrote:
It's a big country, the US constitution guarantees the "right to bear arms" and there is violence.
There isn't anyone on this forum who will agree that this sort of behavior is acceptable and to be tolerated.
KS[/quote

PR is the USA. And, with all of the shooting and killing that happens all over this country every day, we must agree that it is acceptable and tolerated.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Two athletes shot at Puerto Rico 70.3 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had teammate near the shooting. Police made them stop and drop to ground for several minutes.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Two athletes shot at Puerto Rico 70.3 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
STConcierge wrote:

KS[/quote

PR is the USA. And, with all of the shooting and killing that happens all over this country every day, we must agree that it is acceptable and tolerated.

Child sex slavery happens every day. Is that acceptable and tolerated?
Rapes happen every day. Is that acceptable and tolerated?
Murder happens every day. Is that acceptable and tolerated?

There is an equilibrium level of crime, but that doesn't mean we just accept and tolerate it. Do you not lock your car door when you leave it? Do you not lock your house up when you leave? Then there are neighborhood watch programs, etc. etc. etc.

Quote | Reply
Did I read that correctly, they out ran the cops in a Ford Focus? The only thing more amazing if it were a Toyota Prius.

Quote | Reply
Liz posted on her FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/liz.boivin?fref=ts

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:

Please say you are joking. I think you are far more likely to be shot anywhere int he US than at an IM in Puerto Rico.
I assume you won't ever be doing the Boston Marathon then.
Quote Reply
Re: Two athletes shot at Puerto Rico 70.3 [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
RallySavage wrote:

Please say you are joking. I think you are far more likely to be shot anywhere int he US than at an IM in Puerto Rico.

Personally I would not be dissuaded to race there next year as I would let stats decide what I do. Chances of another shootout on race day are probably just as high here in Ottawa as they are in San Juan....it's one of those things that is covered in the Poisson distribution chapter in 1st year statistics....the arrival rate of the next event is uncorrelated with when the last one happened. The events happen on average at a certain interval, but that's just the average.....so the shooting in San Juan will happen at an average rate and have nothing to do with this shooting at the 70.3. The shootings here at home, will also happen at the same average....the key is the word average.

Here ya go from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/...oisson_distribution:

In probability theory and statistics, the Poisson distribution (French pronunciation [pwasɔ̃]; in English usually/ˈpwɑːsɒn/), named after French mathematician Siméon Denis Poisson, is a discrete probability distribution that expresses the probability of a given number of events occurring in a fixed interval of time and/or space if these events occur with a known average rate and independently of the time since the last event.[1] The Poisson distribution can also be used for the number of events in other specified intervals such as distance, area or volume.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
For those from outside the US it will change perceptions. The US is has a high tolerance for gun violence.

Not when it comes to law abiding citizens.
Quote Reply
Re: Two athletes shot at Puerto Rico 70.3 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
M~ wrote:
RallySavage wrote:

Personally I would not be dissuaded to race there next year as I would let stats decide what I do. Chances of another shootout on race day are probably just as high here in Ottawa as they are in San Juan....it's one of those things that is covered in the Poisson distribution chapter in 1st year statistics....the arrival rate of the next event is uncorrelated with when the last one happened. The events happen on average at a certain interval, but that's just the average.....so the shooting in San Juan will happen at an average rate and have nothing to do with this shooting at the 70.3. The shootings here at home, will also happen at the same average....the key is the word average.

In probability theory and statistics, the Poisson distribution (French pronunciation [pwasɔ̃]; in English usually/ˈpwɑːsɒn/), named after French mathematician Siméon Denis Poisson, is a discrete probability distribution that expresses the probability of a given number of events occurring in a fixed interval of time and/or space if these events occur with a known average rate and independently of the time since the last event.[1] The Poisson distribution can also be used for the number of events in other specified intervals such as distance, area or volume.

People's perception of risk are usually influenced by the emotional response to the worst case. This is a natural self-perseveration mechanism, likely embedded deep in our brains. Taken to it's extreme, we all can sit on the couch and watch (safe) TV. Until some poor slob has a plane crash into the house and wipe out the family, what do we do then???

Me? I acknowledge the sadness for those suffering and honor their effort by emulating their "getting out there." Hiding isn't living - and PR may or may not be statistically safer than your back yard; but, dollars to donuts we're going to be talking decimal point differences. Cost of the event influences my going there - not the odds that a meteorite would hit me or a stray bullet.

Wishing the best to all...

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Two athletes shot at Puerto Rico 70.3 [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of places like this you can tell me what is was like, I am staying closer to home. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Two athletes shot at Puerto Rico 70.3 [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
M~ wrote:
RallySavage wrote:

People's perception of risk are usually influenced by the emotional response to the worst case. This is a natural self-perseveration mechanism, likely embedded deep in our brains. Taken to it's extreme, we all can sit on the couch and watch (safe) TV. Until some poor slob has a plane crash into the house and wipe out the family, what do we do then???

Me? I acknowledge the sadness for those suffering and honor their effort by emulating their "getting out there." Hiding isn't living - and PR may or may not be statistically safer than your back yard; but, dollars to donuts we're going to be talking decimal point differences. Cost of the event influences my going there - not the odds that a meteorite would hit me or a stray bullet.

Wishing the best to all...

but but but....a metorite might hit your airplane on the flight over to San Juan, so you better stay at home in case some ISIS dude hijacks a Jordanian fighter jet and flies it over the Atlantic and has his buddies hijack a KC-130 refueling aircraft to do the mid air refueling so he does not crash into the Atlantic but instead is able to reach your house and crash into it while you are responding to posts on ST in the comfort of home....as ridiculous as this scenario sounds, it is probably just as equally insane as chosing to stay at home BECAUSE a crime has taken place in some location where a race happens to be. I am not condoning crime, and feel really bad for the athletes who were hurt, but bad things can happen anywhere.

Here are the firearm related deaths per 100,000 population per year: United Kingdom 0.25, Canada ~2, US ~10, South Afica ~ 20, Colomibia 28, Venezuela 50

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
Quote Reply
Re: Two athletes shot at Puerto Rico 70.3 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just found a rate of 19.22 per 100k for PR. NY has a rate of 4.2, so yes, statistically speaking I would be approximately 4.6 less likely to be hit by stay bullets by racing in NY. But hey, this is America and this is ''just another nut with a gun'' and ''there is nothing you can do about a nut with a gun''. Might as well move on. Tomorrow there will be another shooting to talk about.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply

Prev Next