Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Two "have to do" for triathletes of any level.
Quote | Reply
Yes to sleep, eat and drink well, manage stress, afford it, etc

In either order, bike fit and physiotherapist.

1) I undervalued a bike fit and it cost me dearly. I kept buying components or entire bikes to treat the symptoms which is expensive, a lot of churn and still left me with "symptoms". A bike fit on my $1,000 aluminum road bike would have been more beneficial than spending >$4,000 on a new bike and components and then getting a bike fit.

An issue is not all bike fits are the same due to fitter. ST recommended Paul Williams in Tampa Bay area and he was excellent. He raised my saddle though by 5mm. ST forum did skew my view of saddle height. Go to the best fitter that you can reach.

2) I never undervalued physiotherapy. The problem is finding a good one. So many treat symptoms. Few can unlock the cause and treat the cause.

Having the body right, especially as we age, is a high priority. While teaching swimming some people wanted to achieve a physical swim position that they couldn't achieve on land. Examples: head, shoulder, elbow, hip, ankle movement/restriction which kept them from swimming well. If they had solved those then they could have a better stroke without as much effort.

And not just swimming, the bike fitter, sent me to a physiotherapist after my fitting because there were things about my body that the fitting was not going to change. The physiotherapist addressed joint movement issues with cycling, running and swimming. Long story short, I wasn't going to age/perform any better if I didn't address the contortions in my body.

So in closing, get a bike fit before spending bike money and get physiotherapist that can unlock the causes. Or just keep putting in the effort because one can still go along way on effort too.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Two "have to do" for triathletes of any level. [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And what is the purpose of this random stating of an opinion?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd consider those luxuries, not "have to do".
Quote Reply
Re: Two "have to do" for triathletes of any level. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

A bike fitting should be done by everyone. You don't have to do one of those #300 wiz bangers. There are mechanics/fitters that do better work with less equipment for $60.

A physio therapist? A physical therapist or an athletic trainer? Physios aren't really a thing in the US.

Seeing an AT or PT is usually done for rehab for the vast majority of people unless you happen to have a club that has a member that is licensed and provides the hookups.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Proper bike fit and massage, both very high on my list. And I think for most folks the bike fit at the top is not a bad idea either..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

I wonder what percentage of all people who have ever done a triathlon from the very beginning of the sport have both had a bike fit and seen a physiotherapist? Count me down for a no, but I don't do triathlons anymore, so maybe I'm proving the OP right? LOL.
Quote Reply
Re: Two "have to do" for triathletes of any level. [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
And what is the purpose of this random stating of an opinion?

I'm guessing the OP either IS a fitter or physio, or is shilling for one

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say there are 3 "have to do"s- swim, bike and run. But what do I know

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Two "have to do" for triathletes of any level. [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:

This is ST. The only "have to do" is bike. Scratch that, the only "have to do" is argue on the internet. ;-)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Two "have to do" for triathletes of any level. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
sch340 wrote:

This is ST. The only "have to do" is bike. Scratch that, the only "have to do" is argue on the internet. ;-)

There is only ONE real "have to do" in triathlon. Only ONE.

You MUST be able to survive the swim. No matter if it's doggy paddle, backfloat, etc - you HAVE to be able to survive the swim as a newbie.

Pretty every adult can bike slowly, and walk the run. Heck, one could finish a triathlon (badly) on a big wheel kiddie plastic bike if you them. But one can't finish a triathlon if they can't finish the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Two "have to do" for triathletes of any level. [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
sch340 wrote:

There is only ONE real "have to do" in triathlon. Only ONE.

You MUST be able to survive the swim. No matter if it's doggy paddle, backfloat, etc - you HAVE to be able to survive the swim as a newbie.

Pretty every adult can bike slowly, and walk the run. Heck, one could finish a triathlon (badly) on a big wheel kiddie plastic bike if you them. But one can't finish a triathlon if they can't finish the swim.

What if Jesus were to do a triathlon? Would they make Him swim?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not disagreeing with you 100% on the bike fit, however, I do not think the ultra-high-end-super expensive fit is the way to go for your first fit.

My first fit was borderline useless. I was new to the TT position and had no idea what really felt "good" or "bad". I took that fit, rode my Cervelo P2 a few thousand miles and, along the way, tinkered with the fit myself until it felt good. I had another fit done about 2 years later and that fit was worth the money. I had a much better idea of what felt good and what felt wrong. Even then, I did have to adjust my position slightly from being fit on the trainer to riding on the road (saddle Px mainly).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Put on exercise attire

2. Post picture of yourself in exercise attire on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Two "have to do" for triathletes of any level. [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
1. Put on exercise attire

2. Post picture of yourself in exercise attire on instagram

#gainz #keepinitreal #veganlife

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Two "have to do" for triathletes of any level. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
What if Jesus were to do a triathlon? Would they make Him swim?

https://www.teamusa.org/...e-Rules#article%20IV

Quote:
Article IV : Swimming Conduct
4.1 Permissible Strokes. Swimmers may use any stroke to propel themselves through the water and may tread water or float.

So, no, Jesus would NOT be allowed to walk/run ON the water to complete the swim

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

I'd go to my massage therapist (physiologist?) often, if I could afford it. She's outstanding, but expensive.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Two "have to do" for triathletes of any level. [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
=========================================================================
i'm in this camp, too.
peggy
Quote Reply
Re: Two "have to do" for triathletes of any level. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Proper bike fit and massage, both very high on my list. And I think for most folks the bike fit at the top is not a bad idea either..

OMG, how did we ever survive all those decades before bike "fits" became a thing??? I mean really, it's amazing anyone ever survived the TDF back when bike fits were unheard of, which would be up until maybe 10 yrs or so ago. how did Lance win 7 TDFs w/o Dan doing a bike fit on him??? Oh the horror of it all...:)

And as for massage, never had one in my entire life and i've done OK w/o it.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Two "have to do" for triathletes of any level. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan did bike fits for me way back in the day, oh ya, he did one for Lance too, well before he won any TDF races...

And it doesn't have to be someone else that does you bike fit, you can do your own if you know what you are doing. Just helps sometimes to have a 2nd pair of eyes that know what they are looking at, but we all played around with fits in the caveman days until we got what a fit today might look like.
Quote Reply
Re: Two "have to do" for triathletes of any level. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eddy Merckx was quite picky about his bike fit. The modern triathlon bike is entirely designed around the concept of "fit".

But there is a growing emphasis on bike fit as a (rather expensive) service, and there are a lot of really bad fits out there.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But there is a growing emphasis on bike fit as a (rather expensive) service, and there are a lot of really bad fits out there.//

Absolutely, that is why we need more good fitters!! Know any place that trains such people??
Quote Reply
Re: Two "have to do" for triathletes of any level. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
But there is a growing emphasis on bike fit as a (rather expensive) service, and there are a lot of really bad fits out there.//

Absolutely, that is why we need more good fitters!! Know any place that trains such people??

Can't think of any off the top of my head. Hmmm.... nope, I got nuffin'

;-)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply