Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Turning 40
Quote | Reply
On Saturday I turn 40. My plan at present is to:

1. Swim 40 x 100 on the 1:40

2. Ride 40 miles (probably indoors since the weather doesn't look like it is going to cooperate)

3. Run 4 miles

Does anybody have any ideas on other turning 40 type workouts?

Cheers

Jon Bergmann
http://jonbergmann.com
Quote Reply
Re: Turning 40 [JBergmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Montgomery did some outrageous antics for his 40th, I don't recall them all, but the local TV guys covered it.

Happy birthday to you too!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4. Drink your favorite 40!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Avenger9 beat me to it but I was gonna say drink 40 beers. But that might interfere with training a little so I'll say swim 1 mile, bike 30, run 8 then drink your favorite ice cold beverage and you'll have 40. Happy Birthday.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40 strippers?

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to the lifestyle section of this website, and click on the "Leap of Faith" article that Dan wrote about me. It may give you some ideas to enhance your birthday set. The four times in the sack with my girlfriend got the most attention, but let me tell you, after all that crap I did, the last couple were not so easy, or as enjoyable as they should have been. You overtraining guys out there know what I mean........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went scuba diving in the morning and then got drunk in the evening on my 40th. For my 50th, I did a tri a few days later. Had a few beers that evening but didn't get drunk.

Something about the older we get the wiser we get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turned Forty in '03 and my epic Birthday present was:

1. swim 40 mins

2. bike 40 TT

3. run 10k in 40 minutes @ 4 mins/KM

4. 40 pushups, 40 crunches

5. 40 minute nap

6. 4 pints of beer in 40 minutes

7. Dinner and Party with great friends!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, my 40th birthday 3 yearsago was a rather subdued affair as my wife, several weeks prior to it, had announced, right out of the blue, and with complete and total shock to everyone, mostly importantly me, that out marriage was over!

I must admit that I had high aspirations of picking up the training and racing again post 40 as I was one of the first wave of moderately good triathletes in my area to reach the milestone. I had backed off things significantly for 2 - 3 years, but was still competitive in the open class in local running road races. However, you know what they say about the best laid plans.

The divorce, a subsequent move half way across the country, a major career change, then a significant period of unemployment, severe back pain( recently confirmed as herniated disc) and a serious bout of pneumonia that permanantly damaged my lungs, have made the post-40 years somewhat trying, with tri training the last thing on my mind most of the time.

But you know what? When I can get the bike out of the garage and hit the road for a couple of hours it all starts to make sense and I return to the house refreshed and ready to take on the next challenge. That's when I am thankful and grateful for actually having the ability to be able to do those things.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Turning 40 [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Fleck, Wow keep your head up and it'll come around. As the old saying goes been there!

Divorce, pneumonia, and herniated neck. Takes time and more so now that we're 40 something.

I'm finally back to what I feel is a good standard for me. I'll never be 100% but hey who is at 40+. One of my comeback Hero's 'Monty and his pacemaker' back into full race mode. Steve your next, Clean up at the Trisport series? I think so!

Any adversities should make people realize how fragile we really are. Celebrate Life and when you do get the oppurtunity like a 40th B-day make it a memorable Celebration of Life you can always reflect on.
Quote Reply
Re: Turning 40 [trican1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the encouraging words

Well, those days when the planets all line up and I can get out the door and the back is feeling OK for a ride, are great, not just for the body, but also the soul. I had a great run of 20+ years of high level running and triathlon training and racing and I don't regret a moment of it. I am grateful and feel lucky to have been able to do what I did.

Also, I live vicariously these days through the races and triumphs of my gilrl friend Paolina Allan and friends Lisa Bentley, Lori Bowden, Simon Whitfield, Peter Reid, JulieAnne White, Joe Foster and many others. And also to people who I know like Gordo Bryn who have literally risen from the couch, worked their butts off to become top class athletes. That is an incredible, awe inspiring achievement.

It's a bit discouraging right now for me, but I am hoping that this to will pass.

Best wishes and again, thanks.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Turning 40 [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck, I hear you.

I went thru a divorce and a lot of other trauma shortly after my 40th. It was like the rug was pulled out from under me. Fortunately I bounced back although there were a few really tough years that I prefer not to think about.

Just remember that tough times don't last but tough people do. Hang in there. It'll all turn around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my 40th I did Ironman Germany, not quite up with Mark Montgomery but beat the hell out of getting pissed up and feeling like crap for the next couple of days.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I turn 40 in a few weeks so you guys got me thinking. Here is my tenative 40 hour plan:

1. Catch 40 waves. Kayak 4 miles if the surf is flat.
  2. Swim 40X100.
  3. 40-mile bike ride with the wife.
  4. 4X4-mile run. This will be part of the ½ marathon I'm running that weekend.
  5. 40 sit-ups, 40 push-ups, and 40 pull-ups.
  6. @&$% the wife 4 times. Eventhough I'm still base building she requested this workout be performed above LT :-o
  7. 4 hour nap. Probably after #6.
  8. 40 minute massage.
  9. Eat a giant, rare prime rib with a nice bottle of Cab with our friends at McGuires. One bottle = 4 glasses.

I think I'll remember this B'day when I'm 80! Being able to do this now will help me get to 80.

David

Quote Reply