Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tunnel Marathon
Quote | Reply
I had never heard of the Tunnel marathon until Herbert wrote about it. It says there is over a 2,000 foot drop from the start to the finish with an consistent downhill grade of negative 2.2%. Given the downhill course and the fact that it is a point to point course which would most likely have a consistent west wind I was surprised that a course like this would be eligible for Boston qualifying?
Any idea what the time savings would be for a typical 3 hour marathoner?
Last edited by: pokey: Jul 16, 20 10:44
Quote Reply
Re: Tunnel Marathon [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a friend who went from a PR of 3:40 to 3:18. I am not saying that is all because of the course. She said she felt the downhill helped. but that lack of variation helped more. Almost no reason to change pace for the entire course.
Quote Reply
Re: Tunnel Marathon [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eroc43 wrote:
Had a friend who went from a PR of 3:40 to 3:18. I am not saying that is all because of the course. She said she felt the downhill helped. but that lack of variation helped more. Almost no reason to change pace for the entire course.

WOW, that's means she was running around 50 seconds per mile faster on this course. Maybe they could send the Breaking 2 crew there to break 1:50 :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again, I don't want to say it is all the course, it was a year between the 3:40 and the tunnel. She has not been able to run a marathon since, so will be interesting to see what he next one is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BAA sets up their own rules for qualifying, some of them could be considered not really sportive, but whatever. It's a private company, they can do what they want.
Even Revel marathons with -5K elevation are OK.

I'm not sure about the Tunnel one, but I've done Revel mt Charleston with -5K ft elevation in about 3-hour shape. It took 2:50, but I don't advertise it as my marathon PR :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The improvement will vary depending on the runner, but around 5 minutes per hour. But it probably makes less of a difference if you are super skinny and run sub 3 hours or have bad knees. If you are carrying a little extra weight and your knees and quads can take it then you will benefit more.
Quote Reply
Re: Tunnel Marathon [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the place to go to PB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a little bit like swimming downstream in a current for a mile and claiming that is our mile swim PB. Or a net downhill 40k time trial.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pokey wrote:
Looks like the place to go to PB.

downhill PB. not real PB

anyways, there are much worse races than this, and yes they should be illegal to qualify for big marathons. marathons should use IAAF - world athletics standard of no more than 1m drop per 1km. this is easily possible on a looped course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is an ever so slight downhill after the first few miles and while you gain a few seconds possibly on that -1 percent grade, you also have to take time away for that dark one mile tunnel you run through early on with a headlight, and deposit said headlight after the tunnel with a bib labeled bag in a collection box after the tunnel, and actually running on gravel is also slower. Is it a fast course? Sure, but it is not so simple to just look at the elevation. I ran at a very similar pace a year earlier at a much hillier race until my meniscus tore, and just this year (right around the time when Boston was meant to be) ran 38:57 in a 10k, so me running 3:17:23 at the Tunnel Marathon is not that extraordinary.

I mostly picked that race for the scenic location, and because I do prefer running on gravel versus asphalt or cement.
Quote Reply