Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tucson, Training Vacation
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are thinking about a "training camp" type vacation in Tucson. Anyone have recommendations for a resort with a good lap pool as well as near good riding?
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, Training Vacation [cdhamlet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdhamlet wrote:
My wife and I are thinking about a "training camp" type vacation in Tucson. Anyone have recommendations for a resort with a good lap pool as well as near good riding?

You can stay up at the Ritz (Dove Mountain) and then swim at Oro Valley Public Pool or you could go down to the Marriott Star Pass as well and swim at a public pool down in Tucson.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
U of A has a master's swim group at their pool, but I think you need a membership and hours are somewhat limited.

Oro Valley aquatic center is pretty nice.

Professional interests in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Hardware/Software interfaces, sports interests are running from 800 to half marathon, sprint tri to half iron, cycling road races

https://brave.com/ - A safer and faster way to browse the web
https://www.strava.com/athletes/3757906
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The lodge at Ventana Canyon. Has a separate workout pool from the resort pool. I took my golf clubs instead of my bike. It was nice to have the pool onsite. Also the rooms are big with a kitchen. The place is definitely upscale and a nice resort if you are looking for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've been to tucson twice, both my trips were geared at riding. both times i stayed on the east side of town (once right near saguaro NP east, the other right at the foot of Mt. Lemmon). both these were airbnbs. i couldn't recommend the east side of town enough (mt lemmon is legendary, and the cactus loop in saguaro NP east is my favorite stretch of pavement ever). excellent areas for riding and running. I don't know if there are any pools on the E side, and there's not much as far as resorts go - again, it's gunna be airbnb if you wanna be close to the best riding/running spots, but i thought i'd throw that out there. the riding on the W side of town is good but saguaro NP west and tucson mtn park (where gates pass is) have lots, lots more traffic and the terrain IMO isn't as good as having lemmon and the cactus loop (pistol hill is also over there, it's generally just more quiet if you ask me). you can run everywhere, including at any point up the lemmon hwy, in Saguaro NP east, or the "loop" bike path isn't far away either.

I guess you could take the "loop" path from W side of town to the E, but it's a long journey cross town and that pathway is busy and the roads which traverse town are WAYYY too busy. my first trip i had aspirations to do so - to take the "loop" cross town so I could ride gates pass - but after the first day i figured there was no reason to traverse to that side of town because the east side had so many good places to ride. and run. and hike. and eat. etc.

just my 0.02. have fun planning your trip, I'm jealous i wanna go back to tucson soon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
University of Arizona alum here

I'd say either the JW Star Pass or either Ventana Canyon or Westin La Paloma.

All three are in nicer areas, great riding and running/trial running nearby. Not sure if there are lap pools close to each hotel, but like mentioned above, the UofA rec center has a great outdoor lap pool

Bear Down!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Westin la Paloma has a great outdoor lap pool and fitness center and close to good running/ riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cdhamlet wrote:

There are a TON of threads on visiting Tucson. Tons. A search would prove fruitful.

You either stay on the west side of town, the north side, or the east side. West side riding = Gates Pass, A Mountain, Sandario, Picture Rocks (if you want to get yelled at by angry ... farmers), Kitt Peak if you're extra adventurous. North side = Oro Valley, Dove Mountain, Oracle/Cody Loop. East Side = Pistol Hill, Saguaro NP East Lemmon.

Those are kind of the general rides of those areas. They are all very easy to connect, in spite of what some previous posters have said. It's very easy to ride directly cross town, safely, if you know what roads to use.

Depending on when you visit, different pools will be available. Oro Valley is probably the best choice for visitors at this point. UA Rec has gotten more restrictive.
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, Training Vacation [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:
University of Arizona alum here

I'd say either the JW Star Pass or either Ventana Canyon or Westin La Paloma.

All three are in nicer areas, great riding and running/trial running nearby. Not sure if there are lap pools close to each hotel, but like mentioned above, the UofA rec center has a great outdoor lap pool

Bear Down!

Dolphins of the Desert masters group swims at the Westin La Paloma and it's become much harder to be a visitor and get a pass at UofArizona Rec Pool. Not sure it's worth it anymore.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Jan 19, 20 18:27
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, Training Vacation [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
cdhamlet wrote:

There are a TON of threads on visiting Tucson. Tons. A search would prove fruitful.

You either stay on the west side of town, the north side, or the east side. West side riding = Gates Pass, A Mountain, Sandario, Picture Rocks (if you want to get yelled at by angry ... farmers), Kitt Peak if you're extra adventurous. North side = Oro Valley, Dove Mountain, Oracle/Cody Loop. East Side = Pistol Hill, Saguaro NP East Lemmon.

Those are kind of the general rides of those areas. They are all very easy to connect, in spite of what some previous posters have said. It's very easy to ride directly cross town, safely, if you know what roads to use.

Depending on when you visit, different pools will be available. Oro Valley is probably the best choice for visitors at this point. UA Rec has gotten more restrictive.

My wife and I always stay on the east side and then just use the bike paths to get almost anywhere (downtown, Gates Pass, etc...). The paths are awesome.

We've stayed at Ritz/Dove Mountain previously and did not like it there as much. It felt like it was more difficult to get anywhere, as compared to staying on the east side.

If you stay at the Lodge at Ventana Canyon, there's a lap pool on the premises, it's easy to get to Mt Lemmon or Saguaro NP, and you are a short distance to Sabino Canyon Rec Area (for great trails to run)/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it was me I'd change direction from the resort track and rent a house midtown Tucson. I'm quite biased as I live in that area but I'd rent a house in a somewhere in the vicinity of midtown. Anchored on the NW corner of River/Campbell, the SW corner of Broadway/campbell, the SE corner of broadway/Dodge and the NE corner of Dodge/Ft. Lowell.

If you want to be close to everything, never have to get in your car to run or bike and potentially swim that's the area all while being close to everything that's the area.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jan 20, 20 11:58
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, Training Vacation [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
cdhamlet wrote:

You can stay up at the Ritz (Dove Mountain) and then swim at Oro Valley Public Pool or you could go down to the Marriott Star Pass as well and swim at a public pool down in Tucson.

Starr Pass has a 25 yard pool on site, which is a nice benefit

No lane lines and can get wavy, but perfectly adequate given the convenience
Last edited by: USCoregonian: Jan 20, 20 12:05
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, Training Vacation [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
If it was me I'd change direction from the resort track and rent a house midtown Tucson. I'm quite biased as I live in that area but I'd rent a house in a somewhere in the vicinity of midtown. Anchored on the NW corner of River/Campbell, the SW corner of Broadway/campbell, the SE corner of broadway/Dodge and the NE corner of Dodge/Ft. Lowell.

If you want to be close to everything, never have to get in your car to run or bike and potentially swim that's the area all while being close to everything that's the area.

if you're looking for a resort, mid-town tucson is not a great stand-in...haha.

(OP i say that also having a house in mid-town tucson)
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, Training Vacation [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are all great suggestions .... much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

+1 on this one. Everything in Tucson is so much more affordable than most places that you can rent a house and treat yourself to the best meals, outings, uber anywhere etc and still save a bundle on any resort. I can't speak to swimming but we are on the eastern edge of the area you outlined and its 1 minute to the bike path and bike path to any of the major routes (gates, mission rd, lemmon). 1200 sqft, 2 bedrooms and a nice yard/garden for ~70 USD a night.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing this in March.

https://hfpracing.com/...thlon-training-camp/

Just find a place near the Oro Valley Aquatic Center on Airbnb or Vrbo
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, Training Vacation [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you guys wanted to o a camp I'm running one from March 15-21. Kicking it off with an awesome 6.5h ride up one of the best climbs in the area...and no that's not Lemmon hahaha!

PM for details if interested.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tucson smells funny.

Go Devils.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much for the invite but I'm already committed to one at the beginning of April.

I can't afford another one right now (physically and monetarily) :)
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson, Training Vacation [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the ideas. We just booked to stay at ventana canyon.
Quote Reply