Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tubular tire mounting... Tufo tape or glue?
Quote | Reply
tufo tape looks appealing. Any drawback over glue?
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire mounting... Tufo tape or glue? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tufo tape is about the most worthless piece of crap invention ever. Ignoring that it kills your RR, the stuff is absolutely impossible to get off.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire mounting... Tufo tape or glue? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh it's possible... A couple of hours, half a bottle of acetone and a huge headache after you'll have a clean rim...

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the British Track Team (and other Nations) tape their tubulars.....

.... and they're not slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have thought glue would be more difficult to get off?
I have been using glue all these while but am interested to try tape when i can finally get my lazy bums off the couch to start removing the dried glue.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire mounting... Tufo tape or glue? [aftereffector] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not questioning that tape is slower than glue, but has anyone any testing report to show how much slower? I have been using
tape with all the reported issues and would like to know how much gain in Crr or watts at speed that I might see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Tufo tape is about the most worthless piece of crap invention ever. Ignoring that it kills your RR, the stuff is absolutely impossible to get off.

Interesting. I thought it would be easier to get off. I'll do glue. thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure most people don't really bother removing old glue. Pretty sure the thinking is that the new tire/glue will pretty much integrate with any old glue residue from the previous tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have friends that swear by taping. Personally I glue (liberally)

All I know is that in my n=1 experience, the only tire I've ever seen roll off was taped.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire mounting... Tufo tape or glue? [DieTryin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You think wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire mounting... Tufo tape or glue? [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
Oh it's possible... A couple of hours, half a bottle of acetone and a huge headache after you'll have a clean rim...

You forgot the most important ingredient - beer (and a few at that)! Went through this a many years ago buying some used Hed 3's that someone had Tufo tires and tape on. I'm still not over it.

Re: Tubular tire mounting... Tufo tape or glue? [redhusky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
redhusky wrote:
I'm not questioning that tape is slower than glue, but has anyone any testing report to show how much slower?

Here you go: http://biketechreview.com/...vs-tufo-extreme-tape

By the way, we have covered this topic before.

Quote from the link above:

Quote:
Using Al Morrison's data, 0.00260 for Tufo tape versus 0.00239 for Mastik, an extra 8.8% rolling resistance. That's a cost of 2.06 J/kg/km. For example when climbing a 7% grade with total mass = 70 kg that's the equivalent of an extra 200 grams carried up the hill.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire mounting... Tufo tape or glue? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, That was what I was looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glue. Always glue.

Re: Tubular tire mounting... Tufo tape or glue? [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After using analyticcycle.com and comparing clincher vs tubular I wonder why I use tubulars at all. If I'm using the calculators right
and do not "track glue" I'm giving up over 130 seconds over 40K. I hope I'm doing something wrong with the calculators.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire mounting... Tufo tape or glue? [bikefit inc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you say that?

One of the wrenches was taping tubs at the Manchester Velodrome during a training session.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got done gluing the tubulars vi used the continental carbon glue. Man, that stuff dries FAST! I figured out that you have about 3 minutes or less to mount the tire. Also, you better work fast on getting the glue on the tire or it will be dry before you even get it on the rim.

Are all glues this way?

Also, a friend said that Tufo tape use to be really sticky and a mess, but the newer version of tape currently sold is way better.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire mounting... Tufo tape or glue? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:

All I know is that in my n=1 experience, the only tire I've ever seen roll off was taped.

Shit tape or shittly applied tape.

never used Tufo tape, I use 3m, which is piece of cake to get on and off. Plus it has a plastic backing so it doesn't tear as you remove it. If taped tyres were rolling off 24/7 we'd have a lot of hospitalised cyclists..
Last edited by: zedzded: Mar 19, 18 17:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:

Also, a friend said that Tufo tape use to be really sticky and a mess, but the newer version of tape currently sold is way better.

Yeah newer tape is heaps better. You tape it, stick the tyre on, remove the backing and that's it. If you wanted to take the tyre off 5/10mins after sticking it there, you can, the tape stays there. When you change the tyre and remove the tape, it peels off like normal sticky tape. It leaves a very slight residue that comes off very easily. I haven't used Tufo tape, but if it's sticky and messy then yeah that would be shit.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire mounting... Tufo tape or glue? [redhusky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
redhusky wrote:
After using analyticcycle.com and comparing clincher vs tubular I wonder why I use tubulars at all. If I'm using the calculators right

and do not "track glue" I'm giving up over 130 seconds over 40K. I hope I'm doing something wrong with the calculators.

130 seconds is possible depending on the tubular. The tape sucks. It will cost you from 2-5 watts at 25mph. More on a hot day.

I have some old Vittoria Crono CS tubulars glued on with either Mastik 1 or Shellac that roll almost as fast as the fastest clincher (the Vittoria CS):

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...=crono%20cs#p6226638

We're talking less than 1 watt difference.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire mounting... Tufo tape or glue? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Morelock wrote:

Shit tape or shittly applied tape.

never used Tufo tape, I use 3m, which is piece of cake to get on and off. Plus it has a plastic backing so it doesn't tear as you remove it. If taped tyres were rolling off 24/7 we'd have a lot of hospitalised cyclists..

woah... blast from the past.

Yes, probably shitty tape / job. I also saw a glued tubular roll off in a cross race since then. Probably shit glue job.

6 years later and I still use Mastik... liberally.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire mounting... Tufo tape or glue? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iirc al Morrison (AFM) walked back on his comments that tape was worse than glue .....like 7-8 years ago.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tire mounting... Tufo tape or glue? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Iirc al Morrison (AFM) walked back on his comments that tape was worse than glue .....like 7-8 years ago.

Maurice

It takes me a while to respond..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
tufo tape looks appealing. Any drawback over glue?

If you're going to use tape because it's more convenient or easier or whatever, use Effetto Mariposa Carogna tape. It's still slower than a glue job and it's a bit pricy, but it works great for road applications and it is the easiest way to bond tubulars if you follow the instructions. As an added bonus, it comes off the rim very nicely in the event you need to remove/replace the tire.

Sounds similar to the 3m tape that ZedZed mentions, but which I've never heard of.
Quote Reply

Prev Next