Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubs are not for everyone
Quote | Reply
Okay, guys. I am not turning tail on my preference for tubs AT ALL. But, I will admit that for the performance losses, clinchers CAN be a good thing.

1) If you have never been on a good tubular, you'll never know the difference. This brings me to the next point, being:

2) Tubs can be a very expensive habit, especially for those on a budget. I still say that racing is expensive. But, a simple flat caused by a small object can be economical to repair on the road.

3) Kit is lighter- true, but I have not used the spare tub in a very, very long time (touch wood). I don't have a spare on a sprint race, as once you flat, your race is over.

4) More selection. There are simply more clinchers on the market. This does not mean I even like clinchers, but there is more at different price ranges.

A real race wheel is any wheel used on a bike in a race. I just happen to think that performance is better on tubulars, but that's my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubs are not for everyone [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm getting some iceskates cause hell must have frozen over...

Uhhh i'm getting a bomb shelter becuae the end of teh world must be coming.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubs are not for everyone [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The world has not ended, hell has not reached 32F, and I am not going to switch to clinchers, nor will I recommend anyone to do so. Tubs STILL rule, just clinchers DO have their place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The clincher/tuby war is like old women agruing over nothing, or men agruing over chevy/ford/dodge. When is it going to end?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bravo Bunnyman,

I believe clinchers vs tubs is like a timex vs rolex. They both get the job done, one just ticks a little better. I should state I am a timex man myself.
Last edited by: Ann Arbor Jeff: Feb 25, 04 5:16
Quote Reply
Re: Tubs are not for everyone [Ann Arbor Jeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, the timex keeps better time too.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Say it ain't so Bunnyman.

And what about integrated headsets?

-- Big EE
Quote Reply
Re: Tubs are not for everyone [Big EE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't get me wrong- I will NEVER buy a clincher race wheel if I can help it, and I will always promote tubulars as the only way to go when you are wanting a great racing wheelset.

But, for the young kid who has a low-paying job and/or is in college and is dirt poor, I am not going to put him/her onto tubulars. Wait until they get more money and then get a great set of racing wheels.

I will still say that winners race tubulars.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubs are not for everyone [Big EE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will never get on board with integrated headsets, either.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubs are not for everyone [Ann Arbor Jeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not endorsing clinchers wholesale by any means. I just said that they do have their place.

I prefer an automatic movement watch, even though they can be a real pain in the butt. I would not even put the tub vs. clincher debate in the same class as a Rolex vs. Timex. Rolex vs. Timex is extreme craftsmanship, marvel in mechanical engineering with no batteries and enduring beauty vs. extreme utilitarianism, robotic and flawless (so long as batteries are changed) function with no regard to aesthetics. The people who own a Rolex or other automatic movement watch know full and well that it's like owning a Mercedes or BMW- the service is what always gets you. Service it well and it will last a lifetime; don't service it and you suddenly have a very expensive bracelet that serves no other function. They usually have a quartz movement watch tucked away so that they can have a watch while their Rolex is gone to Switzerland (about six weeks) for servicing.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubs are not for everyone [hansoa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have hashed it out over and over again. I just want to be civil and not be elitist. I know why they are better, I have posted on this subject a zillion times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although I respect your desire not to be elitist, I have one thing to say.

I used to hear the same thing from people I went to university with (i.e. that being elitist is wrong). My answer to them? "Then why are you here?"

Always strive to be your best - those who can't measure up will call you an elitist no matter what.

mp
Quote Reply
Re: Tubs are not for everyone [tritoronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To those with a University eduction (no offense to those of you with one) I have only to say..never confuse education with intelligence. I know some very inteeligent people with no degrees and some pretty large morons that do. Having a piece of paper that says you spent four more years of time (and money) in school doesn't necessarily mean you're any smarter for the experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubs are not for everyone [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never have, and never will, confuse education with experience. However, the very act of attending university is, by definition (not everyone gets to go) an attempt to join an "elite" group. It is not my contention that those who don't go to university are any less intelligent than those who do, on an individual basis (although this may be true in the aggregate).

I, too, know lots of smart people who didn't go to university - they simply look for different ways to become "elite".

My point is simply that there is nothing wrong with being elitist, as all it means to me is that you value and celebrate achievement (in yourself and others).

mp
Quote Reply
Re: Tubs are not for everyone [tritoronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think most people define "elitism" as snobbery. I went to college just so I could get a job that pays a little better. Not so I could consider myself a snob.

And as someone who works in the Facilities group at a fairly large university, I can echo the statement that intelligence and education are completely different. Our entry level maintenance guys who have not spent a day in college have more practial knowledge than our PhD researchers.
Quote Reply