Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
lyla wrote:
This super thread is too super for a neophyte. I’m converting the HED RC Pro Vanquish 6 and disc to tubeless. I have the tape, valves, and 25mm Conti TL. Should I have the 28mm? Should I anticipate any issue with the 25mm? Traveling with these wheels, any issues I should anticipate when compared to my regular tube experience? Once everything is installed, maintenance, any regular floor pump will do? Excuse the ignorance.

Good questions. I have similar questions as well. Hopefully someone will respond shortly

If you haven't already found this out on your own, the GP5000TL 25mm (and 28mm) are a piece of cake to mount onto V6s. Some people have horror stories about trying to mount these tires on other rims, but mounting these on the V6s is the easiest tire-mounting experience I've ever had (no tire lever, and not much force with fingers and thumbs). I'm two years in with this tire-wheel combo. and have replaced many many tires, all without incident. I hope that you have had the same experience.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changing rim tape on my Enve G23s for the first time. Bought Stan's rim tape for the job. Question for the experts is should I apply a single layer or a double layer of tape? An LBS owner told me to use a hair dryer to help with the installation. Has anyone tried this and does it help at all? Seems like I would need at least one more hand to use a hair dryer.

Also, what are your opinions on the Muc Off tubeless valves? I've heard they are more prone to clogging than other brands. True?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wanted to drop this here.

zipp 303s and perelli cinturato velo is a very nice setup. tires mounted fairly easy, seated quite easily, and the ride at 55psi is just a dream. leak down rate is very reasonable, maybe a couple of psi a day or so.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I start at a spoke behind valve hole, one wrap, then go one spoke past valve. So basically one wrap and double at valve opening.

One thing to be careful of is cutting tape for valve. Stan’s especially, can split very easily. I heat a sharp pick or knife with narrow blade and sort of cut/melt it slowly, then carefully push valve through.

Hairdryer helps with that and also getting tape to sit down in rim bed, which then makes it easier to get tire on.

Haven’t used Muc-Off valves but have found it’s usually the core that clogs. You can buy a little bag of them for cheap and swap out as needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips. I ended up double layering but doing it like you did for a single layer, i.e. starting at a spoke behind the valve hole, then ending after 2 revolutions of taping at one spoke beyond the valve hole. I used a small phillips #0 screwdriver to start the hole and then just widened it to allow the valve to pass through. I didn't have any tape splitting issues, but I will definitely consider your way next time I have to do this. No clogs of sealant in the valve. All in all, it went pretty smoothly for my first tubeless re-taping job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running 700x25c Mavic YKSION PRO UST tubeless tires on Mavic Kysrium Elite UST wheels on my road bike with good results for the past 3 years. Revisiting this thread, it looks like Mavic's UST wheels and tires worked really well together, and that pretty much matches my n=1 experience.

But, it's time to replace the tires. Mavic doesn't list *any* tires on their website any more, and the YKSION Pro UST tires seem to be NLA at various online vendors.

Is their UST standard still popular? Did other manufacturers jump on? Has UST been supplanted by a newer standard? (Please forgive my ignorance on the whole UST topic...)

And lastly, does anyone have a good recommendation for a replacement training/general-use tubeless road tire for these wheels?

Thanks.

Cheers.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Sep 25, 22 16:45
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
I've been running 700x25c Mavic YKSION PRO UST tubeless tires on Mavic Kysrium Elite UST wheels on my road bike with good results for the past 3 years. Revisiting this thread, it looks like Mavic's UST wheels and tires worked really well together, and that pretty much matches my n=1 experience.

Just jumped into the road tubeless world with this exact setup. It is a heaven compared to the stock tubed wheels.

MOP_Mike wrote:

But, it's time to replace the tires. Mavic doesn't list *any* tires on their website any more, and the YKSION Pro UST tires seem to be NLA at various online vendors.

Is their UST standard still popular? Did other manufacturers jump on? Has UST been supplanted by a newer standard? (Please forgive my ignorance on the whole UST topic...)

I've heard that YKSION Pro UST were made by Hutchinson and their Fusion 5 Galactik TLR 11Storm is very similar to the YKSION one: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...-yksion-pro-ust-2018.

Also, I found this very detailed answer on VeloNews: https://www.velonews.com/...n-on-11-speed-group/.

MOP_Mike wrote:

And lastly, does anyone have a good recommendation for a replacement training/general-use tubeless road tire for these wheels?

I'm joining the question above🙂

*edit - formatting

Слава Україні 🇺🇦✊
Last edited by: oleks: Dec 12, 22 0:52
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [Tortuga497] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i also did the "Mudge" method with my Conti 5000s TRs and it worked very well.

And the question remains. where were you.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oki guys - what do you do before race with tubeless tires - do you cange tires or you jsut have to have dedicated race wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Haven’t used Muc-Off valves but have found it’s usually the core that clogs.

Lightly oiling cores/valves makes a tremendous difference in this, have had zero valves clog since I made a regular practice of it. FWIW, I typically use synergetic for this.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Last edited by: fredly: Mar 14, 23 10:01
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you go about oiling core/valve?
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
How do you go about oiling core/valve?

Remove valve core. Put a couple of drops of oil on a cotton swab. Push swab down through valve stem. Put a couple of drops of oil on moving parts of valve core. Replace valve core.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took me nearly a week of on and off reading in between training sessions and work but I’ve finally finished reading this entire thread; every word of every post.

It was fascinating to see the progression through the posts over time from when the thread started in July of 2019 to when it kind of petered out in around 2022.

I’ve been running butyl tubes in 23 and 25 mm clincher conti gp4000 and 5000 since I started road riding in 2013 in non-aero wheels. I usually run around 115 psi (175lb). I can’t say I flat a lot but since I want to upgrade to aero wheels (in hopes of increasing my kona qual chances in the coming year) I figured I should find out if I also wanted to go tubeless.
Going into post 1 I knew nothing about tubeless and now at post 540ish or so I feel like I’ve learned a lot. I want to thank everyone that’s contributed to this thread but especially gregk and slowman as their posts and answers to user questions advanced my knowledge the most.

As I mentioned, this thread was a bit of a wild ride for me. Around post 100 I was sure I wouldn’t be going tubeless. It sounded like a nightmare to set up, maintain, and worse could leave you stranded during a race if you can’t get your tire off or seated again. I’d much rather finish a race an hour or two later than DNF. Plus, no way I was going to buy an air compressor to seat a tire onto a rim. That sounded insane to me.

Then at post ~150-250 I started to have a lot of my questions answered. It seemed at this point the standard for tubeless came out and started to make it much easier to find a tire and wheel that “worked” and could be installed either by hand or simply by using a tire lever. My confidence grew and I started to think I might be able to do this roadside.
I really appreciated the posts by gregk whenever a new article came out. Stopping to read those articles added a lot to the discussion. I’d also like to credit various youtube videos in the articles and others that popped up in my youtube feed throughout the week as I was researching.

Anyway, enough of my commentary. I thought Id use this post as an opportunity to summarize a lot of the stuff I learned.

General procedure for install with recommendations I learned

1) buy tubeless wheels that fit your budget and a tubeless tire (seems the three most discussed/preferred are the continental gp5000 TL, vittoria corsa, Schwalbe pro one). I did find out conti put out a new tubeless STR tire last year that I have not seen mentioned in any of the posts.

2) install 1-2 layers of rim tape, cut a hole for the valve core and install it
  • Ensure to overlap by a few inches on the last layer
  • Pay attention to what your wheel manufacturer recommends for layer count
  • If you get leaks another layer of tape can help or if you have trouble fitting a tire one layer can help installation ability
  • Pull tape tight during install to ensure no bubbles between the tape and rim
  • Press it down in the channel after install
  • Run a tire lever long the wall to channel edge to ensure it is pressed down on the sides
  • You can install a tube to ~90-100 psi and tire and leave overnight to press tape down for a better air seal before you install the valve core
  • Stans tape is preferred or whatever comes from your wheel manufacturer
  • Tape must be centered in channel and go all the way to the walls

3) Install tire by hand or using a tire lever and pump up using a floor pump.
  • If you must use excess force, an air compressor to seat the bead, or clamps on the breaking surface of the wheel to install the tire then you have a wheel/tire combo that is unusual or doesn’t conform to the new standard. This seemed to often be the case in 2019 but is no longer always true in 2023.

• IMHO if I had to use anything but my hands or tire lever then I’d not use that combo. These combos would prevent the installation of a tube in a worst-case scenario to get to T2.
  • Some people in the thread are happy to ride these hard to install combos but it seems they either

1. ride within cell reception
  2. don’t care about DNF at a race or ride something different during them
  3. end up cutting a tire off a rim at some point (one guy with only 400 miles on the tire ugh!)

• There were some recommendations to spray the outside of the tire with soapy water before pumping it up. This seemed kind of silly to me as you won’t have this roadside but perhaps can help with initial seating of the tire.
4) Remove the valve core with a valve core tool and pump/pour in the sealant, followed by rotating the tire around to ensure it thoroughly coats the inside of the tire and wheel.
  • Seems the amount of sealant varied by wheel and tire size but generally was something like 40-80ml and was best installed with a specialty syringe that you wash immediately after.
  • It seems throughout the thread the preferred sealant is Stan’s. Honorable mention for muc-off, orange (regular formula, endurance formula was reported to last longer but not seal as well), or just whatever came with your wheels from the manufacturer.
  • There was an interesting discussion at a few points about whether sealant was needed or not. There were some instances of tires holding pressure without sealant. There was another where a tire did not hold pressure until the sealant was added. Regardless the sealant is what makes tubeless puncture resistant, so this point seemed a bit moot to me and was only interesting for install
  • There was some discussion about adding sealant directly into the tire before it was fully installed. There was a way to do this without creating a mess, but I didn’t see an advantage to this over using a syringe.
5) replace the valve core, pump up tires, and ride
  • Tire pressure varies significantly depending on a lot of factors but there are tons of matrices to determine what’s best for you from your wheel manufacturer
6) Every 3-4 months remove the sealant and pump in another 40-80 ml
  • Sealant drys out after time. This time varies by where you ride and where you store your bike and humidity levels.
  • Some got away with it every 6 months, some only made it weeks.
  • Some people used dip sticks to check how much was left or just kept adding a set amount. These seemed very unscientific and the remove and re-add seemed best to me
  • Make sure you ride your bike once a week to keep the tire coated with sealant.
7) Every year do a full clean out of the inside of your tire and wheel to get rid of dried-up sealant. Simple green with a rag works well.
  • If you live in a climate where you don’t ride for winter, then do this before you store your bike so you don’t have to mess with it in the spring
8) check/replace your valve core from time to time as it can also be clogged with dried sealant. Seemed there was a suggestion to replace these yearly as well

Pros of Tubeless

- Eliminates pinch flats that come with incorrect installation of tubes. Also avoids pinch flats that come from hitting a big object or pothole as there is no tube to pinch. It seems in a tubeless setup the tire can distribute the shock of an object over a larger area, especially if you are running larger tires at lower pressure.

- Performance benefit (speed and handling) vs butyl tubes. There seems to be some debate on this one. From what I could gather there was parity with latex tubes. I honestly had never heard of latex tubes until this thread. <strike>but I personally immediately discarded the idea as they seemed to pinch flat easier and lose pressure much faster. </strike>.

Edit: this comment wasnt true. See white papper from Vittoria where it was found latex tubes are slightly more durable than butyl but dont hold air as well which over the course of a single race isnt a big deal unless you have a slow leak I suppose. I'll update my comment

https://www.vittoria.com/us/en/white-paper
- Better ride quality. Tubeless tires work best with 1) larger tires 2) lower pressures. These two conditions lead the tires to seal punctures more effectively. It seemed the range for pressures was around 50-80 psi vs say 100-120 for tubed 25s. There was some debate about if this got you T2 less fatigued. Sounded plausible to me.

- Puncture resistance to small problems. Running over small debris (nails, burrs, small shrapnel, etc) can cause punctures through the tire that let air escape.
  • With tubed tires these punctures immediately puncture your tube and you get a flat quickly thereafter requiring you to stop and put a new tube in.
  • With tubeless the sealant will rush out with the air and if the puncture is small enough seal the hole without you having to stop. In these cases, you might never know you got a puncture until you get home.
  • If it gets worse and doesn’t seal to the point where you notice you an stop and rotate the puncture to the 6 oclock position to allow the sealant to do its work
  • If that doesn’t work, you can use a plug to help it seal
  • At this point you can air up again with co2/mini pump or continue riding. Rider’s choice. Its possible additional pressure could cause the puncture to reopen. Many got to t2 or home on very low pressures after punctures.
  • Recommendation was a dynaplug. They even had a neat option that combined with a co2 cannister.
  • If a plug doesn’t work then your option is call home, DNF, or install a tube. I believe you’d also want to install a tire patch to the inside of the puncture before you do this. This is where the ability to get a tire off and back on with hands/tire lever is important as you’ll not have clamps/air compressor road side!
Cons of tubeless

- Expense! Tires are more, wheels are more, sealant cost (minimal), valve core replacements (minimal)
- Additional maintenance, see above
- Some tires/wheels don’t mesh and are hard to install. IMO this shouldn’t be here as I’d not accept a tire/wheel install that isn’t easy, but it gets a mention.
- Can be frustrating when it doesn’t work. There are a lot of install steps that need to go well to get a good seal and are very prone to user error, especially for beginner cyclists.

Personal Conclusion
So, will I be going tubeless with my new aero wheels? I’m going to try it over the next few months. TBD if it’s a long-term commitment for me. The worst case is I run tubes again as all tubeless wheels can be used with regular clincher tires and tubes. This thread was enough to get me to try it. Without it I’d still be fretting about a pinch flat every time I go out.

Let me know if I missed anything or summarized anything incorrectly and I’ll happily update it.
Last edited by: Tribike53: Jun 10, 23 12:04
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very good summary!

I'll quibble a few points.

Tribike53 wrote:
It took me nearly a week of on and off reading in between training sessions and work but I’ve finally finished reading this entire thread; every word of every post.

It was fascinating to see the progression through the posts over time from when the thread started in July of 2019 to when it kind of petered out in around 2022.

I’ve been running butyl tubes in 23 and 25 mm clincher conti gp4000 and 5000 since I started road riding in 2013 in non-aero wheels. I usually run around 115 psi (175lb). I can’t say I flat a lot but since I want to upgrade to aero wheels (in hopes of increasing my kona qual chances in the coming year) I figured I should find out if I also wanted to go tubeless.
Going into post 1 I knew nothing about tubeless and now at post 540ish or so I feel like I’ve learned a lot. I want to thank everyone that’s contributed to this thread but especially gregk and slowman as their posts and answers to user questions advanced my knowledge the most.

Quote:
1) buy tubeless wheels that fit your budget and a tubeless tire (seems the three most discussed/preferred are the continental gp5000 TL, vittoria corsa, Schwalbe pro one).

Also important is tubeless valve stem selection, particularly for wheels that don't come with them, particularly for some manufacturers that don't ship TLR wheels with matching stems. Some newer stems are quite good compared to the old school Stan's. Wider internal diameter, chunkier seals inside and out, designs that don't grind the nut directly on carbon.

Quote:
If you get leaks another layer of tape can help

If you have a rim tape leak, rip it off and start over. Once air gets a path underneath, the tape installation is compromised. It's cheap compared to all the other stuff, no reason to mess around.

Quote:
Pull tape tight during install to ensure no bubbles between the tape and rim

Tight, but not too tight. Some types of tape you don't want to stretch. You just want it nice and flat.

Quote:
There were some recommendations to spray the outside of the tire with soapy water before pumping it up. This seemed kind of silly to me as you won’t have this roadside but perhaps can help with initial seating of the tire.

This might be conflating two things. An old-school technique for initial mounting was to lightly soap the rim tape to make the initial seating easier. The tires beads slide easily over lubricated tape. This should no longer be necessary with modern wheels/tires. I haven't done it in years.

Spritzing (or dunking if you're Slowman) the entire wheel *after* you seat it is a quick way to check the integrity of the whole system before adding sealant. Stem, tape, bead. This is not silly at all! It's a very good idea. You might see bubbles coming through the sidewall on some tires before adding sealant, but that's OK. You want to do it before adding sealant to make sure you're not using sealant to "hide" issues in a fundamentally compromised setup.

Quote:
There was a way to do this without creating a mess, but I didn’t see an advantage to this over using a syringe.

Some sealants you have to do this, as they're so good at sealing they'll clog the valve stem immediately. Stan's Race Sealant is one. I believe Josh@Silca also recommends this for Silca sealant.

And another small advantage is that once you learn it, it's just slightly easier. Don't have to take the steps to use a syringe as intermediate transfer device. Just pour directly into the tire - most sealant bottles have volume markings on the side for precision.

Quote:
check/replace your valve core from time to time as it can also be clogged with dried sealant. Seemed there was a suggestion to replace these yearly as well

Also park your bike with valve stems at the top, so you don't have sealant pooling inside the stem for long periods of time. Particularly if the bike is parked for weeks or longer.
Quote:
Also avoids pinch flats that come from hitting a big object or pothole as there is no tube to pinch.

Small point that while tubeless greatly reduces the odds of a pinch flat, they are still possible. Just like they are still possible with tubular tires. That is you can still pinch the tire casing itself on a sharp edge, and tear the casing. This would typically mostly happen in MTB, CX, but could also happen on a freak road pothole. Just mentioning so people don't think it's a good idea to just ride through brutal potholes.

Quote:
they seemed to pinch flat easier and lose pressure much faster.

They pinch easier due to installation errors (easier to make installation errors), but this forum generally believes latex tubes are more resistant to pinch flats than butyl once installed correctly. I do not share that belief, but that's mostly due to my pinch flatting out of two big races using latex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Latex tubes do not pinch flat easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Stan's Dart helped my Silca sealant seal a 20mm wide transverse cut in my tread this last weekend enough to put the miles in to get back home. Pretty amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Latex tubes do not pinch flat easier.

thanks, I think I read that incorrectly somewhere in this thread. I see now at the Vittoria white paper they are slightly more durable than butyl but dont hold air as well which over the course of a single race isnt a big deal unless you have a slow leak I suppose. I'll update my comment

https://www.vittoria.com/us/en/white-paper

trail wrote:
Very good summary!
I'll quibble a few points.

thank you for doing so!

trail wrote:

Tribike53 wrote:

1) buy tubeless wheels that fit your budget and a tubeless tire (seems the three most discussed/preferred are the continental gp5000 TL, vittoria corsa, Schwalbe pro one).

Also important is tubeless valve stem selection, particularly for wheels that don't come with them, particularly for some manufacturers that don't ship TLR wheels with matching stems. Some newer stems are quite good compared to the old school Stan's. Wider internal diameter, chunkier seals inside and out, designs that don't grind the nut directly on carbon.

excellent point. I dont recall this being discussed at all in the thread but a good pointer none the less that I left out.

trail wrote:

Tribike53 wrote:

If you get leaks another layer of tape can help

If you have a rim tape leak, rip it off and start over. Once air gets a path underneath, the tape installation is compromised. It's cheap compared to all the other stuff, no reason to mess around.

another great point. My comment here was mostly assuming your tape was down ok and you had leaks at the end. Agree with making sure its seated in the first place though.

trail wrote:

Tribike53 wrote:

Pull tape tight during install to ensure no bubbles between the tape and rim

Tight, but not too tight. Some types of tape you don't want to stretch. You just want it nice and flat.

Good to know thanks

trail wrote:

Tribike53 wrote:

There were some recommendations to spray the outside of the tire with soapy water before pumping it up. This seemed kind of silly to me as you won’t have this roadside but perhaps can help with initial seating of the tire.

This might be conflating two things. An old-school technique for initial mounting was to lightly soap the rim tape to make the initial seating easier. The tires beads slide easily over lubricated tape. This should no longer be necessary with modern wheels/tires. I haven't done it in years.

Spritzing (or dunking if you're Slowman) the entire wheel *after* you seat it is a quick way to check the integrity of the whole system before adding sealant. Stem, tape, bead. This is not silly at all! It's a very good idea. You might see bubbles coming through the sidewall on some tires before adding sealant, but that's OK. You want to do it before adding sealant to make sure you're not using sealant to "hide" issues in a fundamentally compromised setup.

I actually saw quite a few youtube videos where the host spritzed the outside of the tube. In fact in flo's own install video the guy does this. Good addition to my comment regardless. Here is the video, it should start at 11:33 with this link but if it doesnt skip ahead:

https://www.youtube.com/...h2zdAGff&index=5

trail wrote:

Tribike53 wrote:

There was a way to do this without creating a mess, but I didn’t see an advantage to this over using a syringe.

Some sealants you have to do this, as they're so good at sealing they'll clog the valve stem immediately. Stan's Race Sealant is one. I believe Josh@Silca also recommends this for Silca sealant.

And another small advantage is that once you learn it, it's just slightly easier. Don't have to take the steps to use a syringe as intermediate transfer device. Just pour directly into the tire - most sealant bottles have volume markings on the side for precision.

I did not know that! thank you

trail wrote:

Tribike53 wrote:

check/replace your valve core from time to time as it can also be clogged with dried sealant. Seemed there was a suggestion to replace these yearly as well

Also park your bike with valve stems at the top, so you don't have sealant pooling inside the stem for long periods of time. Particularly if the bike is parked for weeks or longer.

excellent advice, makes perfect sense

trail wrote:

Tribike53 wrote:

Also avoids pinch flats that come from hitting a big object or pothole as there is no tube to pinch.

Small point that while tubeless greatly reduces the odds of a pinch flat, they are still possible. Just like they are still possible with tubular tires. That is you can still pinch the tire casing itself on a sharp edge, and tear the casing. This would typically mostly happen in MTB, CX, but could also happen on a freak road pothole. Just mentioning so people don't think it's a good idea to just ride through brutal potholes.

interesting that sucks oh well, always good to avoid if possible agreed

trail wrote:

Tribike53 wrote:

they seemed to pinch flat easier and lose pressure much faster.

They pinch easier due to installation errors (easier to make installation errors), but this forum generally believes latex tubes are more resistant to pinch flats than butyl once installed correctly. I do not share that belief, but that's mostly due to my pinch flatting out of two big races using latex.

Its interesting the vittoria white paper article I linked all the way at the top of this post and referenced in this thread at a few points just mentions durability and not pinch flat chance. I wonder if that's something that can be tested...
Last edited by: Tribike53: Jun 10, 23 12:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got my new Continue GP 5000 S TR tyres and preparing to mount them. Holy crap! Why do they keep shrinking the rotation notation. It’s almost invisible. If it’s important they should make it easier to find.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just look at the funky "arrows" molded into the tire. That tells you which way to install them.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also just got some 28c S TR's and have been having an impossible time mounting even the first bead onto my Swiss Side HADRON wheels. I triple checked to make sure I got the right size, have left them outside in the blazing sun, and used a hair dryer with no luck so far. This is the most difficult tire/wheel combo I've ever experienced.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you put the tire bead in the rim's center channel?
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, bead is as centered as it can get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never refresh sealant and I have had no issues. I have a mountain bike that has 3 year old sealant in the rear wheel, I took it off to look at it this spring and it was still very much liquid and viscous. I squirted a few squirts of new sealant in there just for good measure but it probably didnt need it.

I use Stans sealant. Also, on my road wheels which are Hed Ardennes and GP 500s in 28s I lose about 20 PSI per wheel after a few days of not riding. So I re-inflate on every ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey folks, which tire is recommended, and mounts fairly easy, to HED Jet Black wheels??
Thx!!
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Continental tires on everything.
Quote Reply

Prev Next