Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubeless tyre removal
Quote | Reply
Just wondered if anyone has experience of removing very tight tubeless tyres of road rims.

I've got a very tight schwalbe pro one on a reynolds wheel and cannot break the seal(bead) without holding it in a vice. Obviously this is
no good if out on a ride in the middle of nowhere.

Are there any tips on breaking the bead.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by: chimpchops27: Jun 15, 18 4:48
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless tyre removal [chimpchops27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chimpchops27 wrote:
Just wondered if anyone has experience of removing very tight tubeless tyres of road rims.

I've got a very tight schwalbe pro one on a reynolds wheel and cannot break the seal(bead) without holding it in a vice. Obviously this is
no good if out on a ride in the middle of nowhere.

Are there any tips on breaking the bead.

Thanks in advance.

Can you put your tire lever against the tire, and hitting the tire lever with your hand? Or, use your tool kit as a hammer and kind of hold it in your hand and hit the tire lever.

I would think that would work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1st thing is make sure that the tire bead is broken away from the edge of the rim and CENTERED on the rim as mush as possible. Take your time doing this.......get it centered on one section and keeping some tension on the tire work your way around the rim getting the tire centered so by the time you reach your last few inches "Hopefully" you will now have enough slack to be able to use tire levers to remove the tire. Once off, you might want to check the tubeless tape being used and if it is on the thicker side, remove and replace with a thinner tubeless tape (like Stans Tape).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was working a bike course a few weekend ago and ran up against a reynolds tubeless wheel with a Gatorskin tube tire flat... couldn't move the bead and/or get a lever under it. Messed with it a good ten minutes but had to pull the plug and transport the athlete back to the race... only tire I've never NOT been able to change.

Tubeless wheels have very tight tolerances... something to think about for race day flats. I'm also thinking this was probably a pinch flat, the athlete said it was a new bike/wheel/tire combo.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless tyre removal [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
Was working a bike course a few weekend ago and ran up against a reynolds tubeless wheel with a Gatorskin tube tire flat... couldn't move the bead and/or get a lever under it. Messed with it a good ten minutes but had to pull the plug and transport the athlete back to the race... only tire I've never NOT been able to change.

Tubeless wheels have very tight tolerances... something to think about for race day flats. I'm also thinking this was probably a pinch flat, the athlete said it was a new bike/wheel/tire combo.

Every Conti tire I’ve used has been very tight to impossible to install on a tubeless type rim. I actually think my Conti GP 4000s are tighter than my Schwalbe Pro Ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. That sounds about right. I've managed to install the tyre but i just cannot break the bead, to get it into the center channel of the rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put the wheel on the floor, angle the wheel up a little so the hub is off the floor, and stand on the tyre where it’s on the floor. Basically using body weight rather than a thumb to break the seal

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless tyre removal [undies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
undies wrote:
Put the wheel on the floor, angle the wheel up a little so the hub is off the floor, and stand on the tyre where it’s on the floor. Basically using body weight rather than a thumb to break the seal
I don't think that would have worked either... seriously I couldn't budge the bead.

I was definitely pinching the tire and not sure standing on it would have done much different than what I was doing. It was sitting pretty firmly on the wheel bed and not going anywhere.

Will give it a whirl if face with it again... thanks for the suggestion. I really dislike taking in an athlete and them being dq'd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another tip is to hold the tyre at the top of the wheel with both hands, giving it a really good squeeze, and shake the wheel back and forth. I've had a friend (very lightweight lady) use these 2 techniques combined to break a seal.

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply