Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubeless Valve Stem
Quote | Reply
What valve stems are you guys using for tubeless? The stems I have will not work in my jet 90.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Valve Stem [Keith-OH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few years ago I made ones with a Continental tube with a 60mm valve (removable core) and the 40mm Stan's threaded extender. They have worked fine for years. If they had existed at the time, I would have bought the Silca valve stems specific for the job. Throwing out inner tubes just for the valves was stupid and I think it cost near $45 for everything when the Silca valve kits are *only* $34 for that size and come with the nifty speed shield.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Valve Stem [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out MilkIt, they are much easier to work with if you use sealant.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Valve Stem [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
Check out MilkIt, they are much easier to work with if you use sealant.

Ain't no MilkIts long enough for a 90mm rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience it seems like the right valve stem depends on the wheel in question. With MTB wheels it wasn't an issue for me but with road tubeless I found the first few stems I tried wouldn't fit the central channel of the wheel tightly enough. That might just be because of the bits I tried. But next time I think I'll take the wheel to the LBS and eyeball whatever they've got in stock to see if it looks snug enough. If you aren't doing that then the best recommendation would be from someone who has used those wheels with the stems they are suggesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Valve Stem [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
In my experience it seems like the right valve stem depends on the wheel in question. With MTB wheels it wasn't an issue for me but with road tubeless I found the first few stems I tried wouldn't fit the central channel of the wheel tightly enough. That might just be because of the bits I tried. But next time I think I'll take the wheel to the LBS and eyeball whatever they've got in stock to see if it looks snug enough. If you aren't doing that then the best recommendation would be from someone who has used those wheels with the stems they are suggesting.

Orange Seal’s Versavalves come in lengths up to 80mm and include a couple of swappable base grommet options with each valve kit.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Valve Stem [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
Orange Seal’s Versavalves come in lengths up to 80mm and include a couple of swappable base grommet options with each valve kit.

Ain't no Versavalves long enough for a 90mm rim.
Last edited by: dangle: May 29, 18 11:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
SummitAK wrote:

Ain't no Versavalves long enough for a 90mm rim.

Except I replied to someone mentioning the valve stem base grommet on some tubeless valve stems not working working for them. This is the benefit of the versavale product.

Though I wasn’t making a recommendation to the OP for his Jet 90, I would think that for most people it goes without saying that an 80mm valve length isn’t long enough for a 90mm deep wheel...

Guess how Silca handles the need for a valve stem over 80mm? They add extenders to shorter tubeless valve bases to get a length over 80mm. I’d be surprised if their longest offering from your link, 100mm (60mm valve and 40mm extender) works for a 90mm rim depth along with the Speedshield grommet. More likely it will be necessary to go 110 to 120mm total length...
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Valve Stem [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
Except I replied to someone mentioning the valve stem base grommet on some tubeless valve stems not working working for them. This is the benefit of the versavale product.

Though I wasn’t making a recommendation to the OP for his Jet 90, I would think that for most people it goes without saying that an 80mm valve length isn’t long enough for a 90mm deep wheel...

Guess how Silca handles the need for a valve stem over 80mm? They add extenders to shorter tubeless valve bases to get a length over 80mm. I’d be surprised if their longest offering from your link, 100mm (60mm valve and 40mm extender) works for a 90mm rim depth along with the Speedshield grommet. More likely it will be necessary to go 110 to 120mm total length...

Have you used the Versa Valves from Orange Seal? I can't say I have ever seen them in person or had problems with bases in dozens of tubeless setups.

No need to guess, I'm pretty familiar with the Silca solution. Here's one on my trainer desk next to one of my home-made ones.

Here's one in an 85mm rim.

You are correct about the added speed shield making the entire thing a little short. A disc wheel adapter fits the 85mm wheel fine with the speed shield. A schrader adapter could also be used since threads to the core. Not using the speed shield should allow for almost any pump to grab it on a 90mm wheel. My front wheel is 80mm and both of my pumps grab it just fine with the speed shield on.

I think Silca should have made them ~10mm longer to account for the speed shield.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Have you used the Versa Valves from Orange Seal? I can't say I have ever seen them in person or had problems with bases in dozens of tubeless setups.

No need to guess, I'm pretty familiar with the Silca solution. Here's one on my trainer desk next to one of my home-made ones.

Yes I’ve used the Versavalve for replacing an Enve SES 4.5 AR valve stem. The rectangular base option matches what Enve includes for stock valve stems. Finding long Enve tubeless valve stems is challenging while the Orange Seal kits are available from a number of sources.

I suspect all these companies source their valve stems from the same manifacturer and that’s why we don’t see options beyond 80mm. My point on the guess was that by your criteria in earlier responses, none of these manufacturers, including Silca, make a tubeless valve stem that fits a 90mm deep rim without using an extension.

Unless I was in a pinch I wouldn’t setup a wheel without plenty of valve end exposed for pump heads to grip. Silca’s stock presta pump head needs plenty of valve stem exposed for a solid seal. Especially after the gasket wears a little. Their Hiro style head will grip less exposed valve stem, but is also helped by more valve stem when the gasket has worn. Since they use an extension on their setup anyway I’d just use a 10 to 15mm extension in place of the 40mm they supply if I wanted to use the Silca speedshield with a 90mm deep wheel.
Quote Reply