Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tubeless Tire choice for Enve 7.8 disc, Conti 5000TL or Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 TL
Quote | Reply
So, what's the fastest real world (aero/crr) combination between these 2 tires?
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Tire choice for Enve 7.8 disc, Conti 5000TL or Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 TL [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How fast can u plug a flat? Corsa is faster but much worse puncture resistant.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Tire choice for Enve 7.8 disc, Conti 5000TL or Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 TL [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:

I've heard the 2.0 is much better than the 1.0 as far as punctures go. At the same time, I likely won't ever run Corsa Speed of any model. I'm quite happy with my Michelin Power TTs but I'm also probably going to pick up a pair of the new Veloflex Records for courses with immaculate pavement. If I'm going to go high risk, high reward, I want it to be a really high reward.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Jan 16, 21 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Tire choice for Enve 7.8 disc, Conti 5000TL or Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 TL [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xing triathlete wrote:
So, what's the fastest real world (aero/crr) combination between these 2 tires?
To answer this question though, 100% the Corsa Speeds will be faster. You're looking at at least a 5w difference in pure CRR. Aero isn't making up for that. If the wheels are race only, the 2.0s are the better option. If you plan on training on them also, go for the 5000s.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GP5000 TL for training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard that the 5000 isn't on the approved tire list for the hookless version if thats what you have. Just double check if thats the case.

I am a bad runner.
I met Javier Gomez once.
I don't speak in miles.
I have opinions.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Tire choice for Enve 7.8 disc, Conti 5000TL or Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 TL [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heard Conti 5000 TLs were really hard to mount.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Tire choice for Enve 7.8 disc, Conti 5000TL or Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 TL [smallhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hard to mount = good seal.
Put the tires in a basket of hot towels out of the dryer for 10 minutes or leave them in the sun for 10-15 minutes and they will mount fine.
I mounted my GP5000TL's (700x28) by hand on a set of Roval CLX64s. Inflated with floor pump as well.

OP: If you have to have 1 set of tires for racing and training the GP5000 TL's will last longer and have better puncture protection while being second fastest.
If these are true Raceday only wheels, Corsa Speed's.
Last edited by: kppolich: Jan 16, 21 13:14
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Tire choice for Enve 7.8 disc, Conti 5000TL or Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 TL [smallhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smallhips wrote:
Heard Conti 5000 TLs were really hard to mount.

Depends on which wheels you are trying to install them on.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Tire choice for Enve 7.8 disc, Conti 5000TL or Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 TL [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Sbernardi wrote:

I've heard the 2.0 is much better than the 1.0 as far as punctures go. At the same time, I likely won't ever run Corsa Speed of any model. I'm quite happy with my Michelin Power TTs but I'm also probably going to pick up a pair of the new Veloflex Records for courses with immaculate pavement. If I'm going to go high risk, high reward, I want it to be a really high reward.

Mine are still in the closet waiting warmer weather. I bought the Power TT's on blackfriday deals and some new latex.

You liking those?

BTW, your old Flo wheels are still rolling nice on my bike for training rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Tire choice for Enve 7.8 disc, Conti 5000TL or Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 TL [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
realbdeal wrote:
Sbernardi wrote:

Mine are still in the closet waiting warmer weather. I bought the Power TT's on blackfriday deals and some new latex.

You liking those?

BTW, your old Flo wheels are still rolling nice on my bike for training rides.
Yeah! I've put a decent amount of miles on my pair including three 70.3s and a sprint and had absolutely no issues with flats. The 25mm does blow up pretty big so if I order more it'll probably be 23 for both front and rear considering my wheels are pretty narrow.

And glad to hear it with the Flos! Kind of regret selling them as I wouldn't mind having a pair of bombproof aluminum brake track training wheels again but glad they're getting used!

Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Tire choice for Enve 7.8 disc, Conti 5000TL or Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 TL [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why Michelin Power over the Corsa Speed? Do you believe they are more puncture resistant?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Tire choice for Enve 7.8 disc, Conti 5000TL or Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 TL [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
You can go to http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com
And compare too

Yep, quite familiar with this site and helps with the one part of the equation, crr. Hoping someone has the aero piece of the equation on the 7.8s. That would help make a more informed decision. Sooo, I guess the original question could really be limited to which combo is more aero and by how much?

I'm trying to get to the net difference between the 2 options and make the more personal decision on risk/reward with regard to puncture resistance.
Last edited by: Xing triathlete: Jan 17, 21 5:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The most aero setup without testing would follow the rule of 105% generally speaking.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would just look at the aero coach data for their zephyr wheel and assume the Enve will be similar.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Tire choice for Enve 7.8 disc, Conti 5000TL or Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 TL [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Why Michelin Power over the Corsa Speed? Do you believe they are more puncture resistant?
It's not so much that I have any reason to believe they're more puncture resistant, but moreso that I've personally seen more races ruined by Corsa Speeds than any other tire. Plus Aerocoach's testing puts them slightly more aero than the speeds, and they can be had for a bit cheaper so I figured I'd give them a shot. If I rode tubeless though I'd be on the speeds for sure.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
ericlambi wrote:

It's not so much that I have any reason to believe they're more puncture resistant, but moreso that I've personally seen more races ruined by Corsa Speeds than any other tire. Plus Aerocoach's testing puts them slightly more aero than the speeds, and they can be had for a bit cheaper so I figured I'd give them a shot. If I rode tubeless though I'd be on the speeds for sure.

I’ve had good luck with the Corsa speed, though I more often have only used it on my rear wheel. I do wonder how many Corsa speed disasters are caused by people installing it as a ‘race only’ tire, and not even really testing it out. The first version especially was really tough to install, easy to pinch a tube or not get the tire seated correctly. If you don’t ride enough beforehand, not always obvious there is a problem.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would put the 5000TL, CS 2.0 TL, and the Veloflex Record clincher on a continuum:

GP5000TL: This is a training tire that happens to be pretty darn fast so that it rolls better than many "racing" tires. If you want to virtually guarantee you won't flat during your event, then choose this tire.

CS 2.0 TL: Seems to be much more robust than the 1.0 version, which I found would flat when looked at funny. This tire is now a reasonable choice in all but the worst conditions, or if you are the type who would rather gladly trade 2.6W and enjoy the additional peace of mind provided by the 5000TL.

Veloflex Record: I have a bunch of these, as a I can't imagine riding them more than 100 miles or so before replacing. Comically thin, but anecdata indicates that some TTers have managed to complete races on them without puncturing. The ultimate risk/reward choice. If you lost your club TT last year by 5 secs, these tires just might make the difference. Of course you may well not finish the race and will have to take the DNF.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Tire choice for Enve 7.8 disc, Conti 5000TL or Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 TL [Megaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Megaman wrote:
I heard that the 5000 isn't on the approved tire list for the hookless version if thats what you have. Just double check if thats the case.

neither tire is rated for hookless. not the conti nor the vittoria. but i don't think this is a hookless rim, is it?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Tire choice for Enve 7.8 disc, Conti 5000TL or Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 TL [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct, Enve 7.8 rim is a hooked design so hookless considerations don't apply here.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Tire choice for Enve 7.8 disc, Conti 5000TL or Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 TL [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
I would just look at the aero coach data for their zephyr wheel and assume the Enve will be similar.

Good point. Total difference is about 6 watts for pair of wheels. For me that should be about 21 seconds over 40k. Leaning to the 5000TL for the peace of mind but have won and lost races by less time.... Probably over-thinking it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's our internal tunnel data which might help - this is in a Cervelo P5 which we find is a good representation of performance in a wide variety of frames, front wheel only.

In terms of weighted drag numbers (aero only) the Zephyr and ENVE w/GP5000 TL are very close, we have that data on our website and the difference at 45kph is 0.4w in favour of the Zephyr. For the Corsa Speeds as well the aero numbers are below:

Aero drag only
Zephyr GP5000 TL 25mm - fastest
ENVE 7.8 GP5000 TL 25mm - 0.4w slower
ENVE 7.8 Corsa Speed 25mm - 2.6w slower
ENVE 7.8 Corsa Speed 23mm - 4.5w slower

The ENVE isn't good with a 23mm tyre so you should always run a 25. Given that the Crr difference for one wheel between the GP5000 and the Corsa Speed is 3.6w, on the ENVE 7.8 you're faster with the 25mm Corsa Speed. The GP5000 is an excellent performer with that wheel though, so a great choice if you're worried about punctures as the overall (aero + Crr) difference is quite small.

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Tire choice for Enve 7.8 disc, Conti 5000TL or Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 TL [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, thanks for chiming in! This is incredibly helpful information and is greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Tire choice for Enve 7.8 disc, Conti 5000TL or Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 TL [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Xavier, given that the Enve line was designed around 25c and the GP5000 is smaller than the GP4000 was at the time, is there any chance the 28c is faster than 25c? Widths according to BRR on a 17c rim:

23c GP5k: 24.4 mm
23c GP4k: 25 mm
25c GP5k: 26.3 mm
25c GP4k: 27 mm
28c GP5k: 28.5 mm
Quote Reply

Prev Next