Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Truing a Flo disc - how exact?
Quote | Reply
So I'm currently riding what is my third set of Flo Wheels. The one in question is a new disc purchased just a couple months ago. I've had it to the bike shop twice already to be trued since purchasing it and now after Ironman Maryland I see it is out again. So my question becomes how much wobble is acceptable? all my other ones were spot-on and my current 60 has to be damn near perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Truing a Flo disc - how exact? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm having the same issue with my flo disc. After 2 TT's (less than 100k of riding), I could see that it was noticeably out of true:(. It must be that they are have not been adequately loaded/stressed before the final tensioning was complete.

...In all fairness, my wheel was a 'demo' from flo, so I don't know how long it was used prior to purchase (however, there were no visible signs of wear/use).

Wobble is acceptable so long as the brakes are not rubbing the wheel and braking is not compromised. I left mine as neither was happening, but I'll be correcting it this off season.
Quote Reply
Re: Truing a Flo disc - how exact? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine is incredibly close to touching the break each rotation and the shop says they are hesitant to try and true it anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contact Flo about it. They're pretty good with things like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike shop is probably making it worse.

Initially they should have found the one spoke that had loosened, and tightened it, making sure to back out the nipple enough to eliminate windup when done. But if they've been mucking around lossening, tightening, and winding up spokes, then... you're kinda screwed. There is no way to measure tension or windup or anything with the covers on. You'll probably need to send it to Flo and have them remove one of the covers to redo it.
Quote Reply
Re: Truing a Flo disc - how exact? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
The bike shop is probably making it worse.

Initially they should have found the one spoke that had loosened, and tightened it, making sure to back out the nipple enough to eliminate windup when done. But if they've been mucking around lossening, tightening, and winding up spokes, then... you're kinda screwed. There is no way to measure tension or windup or anything with the covers on. You'll probably need to send it to Flo and have them remove one of the covers to redo it.

+1. Lots of bike shops don't actually know how to true a wheel correctly, let alone a wheel with a permanent disc cover on it.

Bring it to someone who actually BUILDS wheels and tell him to take a try at truing it.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 5, 18 23:01
Re: Truing a Flo disc - how exact? [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to build wheels, but I don't know what you can do with the covers on. No way to measure tension or windup. Anyone who works on it now is running blind. Sure you can true it, but it won't stay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wind up can be felt in the nipple tool and easily removed.
That is not a problem.
New wheels that are built well do not ping and settle in.
Pinging is caused by windup.
If your wheel pinged, it was not built well.
If your wheel went out of true after a small amount of riding, it was not built well.
You should have returned it to Flo in the first instance as it may also not have been stress relieved and be unreliable.
Quote Reply
Re: Truing a Flo disc - how exact? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Yeah, same issues...during my first ride I could hear the spokes settling in...and low and behold slightly out of true after that first ride on glassy roads....not sure what's going on with stress relieve and such at factory (as mine was bought last year).

That should never happen. Could be either lack of stress relief or windup (or both). No good way to stress relieve with the covers on. Final windup can be avoided by backing off the nipples after tightening. Since Laser spokes were used (skinny), the drive side will wind up a lot even with good lube on the threads.

Best bet is to send it back to Flo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be nice if the guys from Flo would chime in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They’re very responsive if you contact them, why wait?
Quote Reply
Re: Truing a Flo disc - how exact? [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
They’re very responsive if you contact them, why wait?

I was hoping a local shop could get me squared away. Now I'm thinking that's not going to happen:(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
So I'm currently riding what is my third set of Flo Wheels. The one in question is a new disc purchased just a couple months ago. I've had it to the bike shop twice already to be trued since purchasing it and now after Ironman Maryland I see it is out again. So my question becomes how much wobble is acceptable? all my other ones were spot-on and my current 60 has to be damn near perfect.

Just reading this. I've been traveling like crazy with Kona etc. so I haven't been on ST as often as usual. All wheels have some amount of movement laterally and radially. Do you have any measurements? That way I can tell you if it's in spec.

Also, make sure you are referencing the brake track itself and not the fairing. Some people try to true the fairing which is nearly impossible.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Last edited by: Canadian: Oct 11, 18 3:53
Quote Reply
Re: Truing a Flo disc - how exact? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Just reading this. I've been traveling like crazy with Kona etc. so I haven't been on ST as often as usual. All wheels have some amount of movement laterally and radially. Do you have any measurements? That way I can tell you if it's in spec.

Also, make sure you are referencing the brake track itself and not the fairing. Some people try to true the fairing which is nearly impossible.

I just logged on to Slowtwich this morning and saw that you just posted this. I'm actually the one that left you a voicemail about it 2 days ago I assumed with Kona things were probably crazy. yes I have been referencing strictly off the brake pad and running it on the DA it already does have tight tolerances but it is enough of a wobble that it Touches under load. As I stated before the local bike shop has tried twice now there is a wheel Builder about 40 minutes away from me who said he would take a stab at it but again has concerns about not being able to check spoke tension.
Last edited by: Fishbum: Oct 11, 18 4:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Canadian wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

I just logged on to Slowtwich this morning and saw that you just posted this. I'm actually the one that left you a voicemail about it 2 days ago I assumed with Kona things were probably crazy. yes I have been referencing strictly off the brake pad and running it on the DA it already does have tight tolerances but it is enough of a wobble that it Touches under load. As I stated before the local bike shop has tried twice now there is a wheel Builder about 40 minutes away from me who said he would take a stab at it but again has concerns about not being able to check spoke tension.

Yes, we have been crazy busy in Kona! Getting the wheel to an experienced builder is a great decision. Let me know how that goes. If the wheel builder has any questions at all, please feel free to have him give me a call.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Truing a Flo disc - how exact? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've also got one of those demo carbon clincher disc wheels from the 2018 timeframe and it also needs truing. With racing coming back, it's time to get all of the gear tuned up. Is there anyplace to get a hold of one of the silca disc tools to hold the spokes? Website shows it as sold out. Any other alternative tools?

https://flocycling.com/...ucts/silca-disc-tool
Quote Reply
Re: Truing a Flo disc - how exact? [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would call Flo.
Quote Reply
Re: Truing a Flo disc - how exact? [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
I've also got one of those demo carbon clincher disc wheels from the 2018 timeframe and it also needs truing. With racing coming back, it's time to get all of the gear tuned up. Is there anyplace to get a hold of one of the silca disc tools to hold the spokes? Website shows it as sold out. Any other alternative tools?

https://flocycling.com/...ucts/silca-disc-tool

Back then, I got some mini-wrench set from Amazon and just used an adjustable spanner wrench that also works for older BB cups for the disc cover.

PITA and super frustrating process (as you can guess by their own Youtube video). It probably would have been better for my sanity if I would have just sent it in.
I had to repeat the process several times, but by now I pretty much re-tensioned every spoke and the wheel is otherwise solid.

I learned my lesson back then.
Don't go cheap on disc wheels (just use a cover for a regular wheel), and don't buy a product form a rapidly expanding company that is struggling to meet demand.
Last edited by: windschatten: Mar 25, 21 22:32
Quote Reply