Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tririg Alpha One on Dimond Marquise: integrated headset dust cover?
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

I'm installing my brand spankin' new Alpha One on my Marquise. Tririg's website says that the basebar/aero spacers have an integrated dust cover for optimal aerodynamics. Unfortunately, it seems like this does not fit over the Cane Creek 110 series 4 mm headset bearing.

1. Is it possible to find a headset bearing that will fit down in the dimond but also fit within Tririg's integrated dust cover?
2. If that bearing doesn't exist, it seems like the Cane Creek dust cover kinda fits snugly into the aero spacer without the 1.5 mm thick spacer. Anybody else running like this? Attached photo shows what this looks like.

Not mission critical, but if it's possible to have the cockpit sit flush on the frame, it would look a lot cleaner and probably save me at least half a watt :)
Last edited by: vonagut: Aug 27, 20 12:27
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Alpha One on Dimond Marquise: integrated headset dust cover? [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine looks exactly like yours.

Not something to fret over I'd imagine.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Alpha One on Dimond Marquise: integrated headset dust cover? [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Edit: from some research it looks like that large bearing/spacer might be required? https://www.instagram.com/p/B-4RDYjBZYb/. This guy has it set up just directly on it but not sure what's recommended. Contacting Dimond would probably be the best bet as they've built a ton of these up with the Tririg bars I'm sure.

While I'm not familiar with the Dimond/Alpha One interaction, you should be able to remove that whole headset spacer. The idea behind the integrated dust cap is that you can just place the bars directly on the the headtube pretty much. Pop off the spacer and place it on to see what the interaction is, but it should be able to be completely flush.

and then from my own setup:

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Aug 27, 20 13:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey- I don’t understand the problem ... you’re saying you can’t replace the cane creek top cap with the flat one from TriRig? Are you sure? I guess your bike is a newer vintage than mine, and I’m using an Alpha X rather than the new bar, but it works fine for me ...

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...Eric_Lambi_6945.html

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Alpha One on Dimond Marquise: integrated headset dust cover? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric, mine wouldn't fit either.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can't get the Tririg top cap to work like Eric did I just got a new Mogul and I wanted less stack and better integration to my stem so purchased a Cane Creek Slamset H4.6 Top.

https://canecreek.com/product/slamset/
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Alpha One on Dimond Marquise: integrated headset dust cover? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

But why is that? Your headset bearing isn’t flush enough?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Alpha One on Dimond Marquise: integrated headset dust cover? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's what mine looks like without the dust cap (2018 Marquise)
Last edited by: vonagut: Aug 27, 20 15:36
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Alpha One on Dimond Marquise: integrated headset dust cover? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a sweet solution, thanks! And congrats on nabbing one of the Moguls. I'm very jealous. Do you by chance have a photo of the setup handy?

Did you get the IS41, IS42, or ZS44?
Last edited by: vonagut: Aug 27, 20 15:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the IS41. I still haven't worked out the best way to reduce the size of pic's to look any good on here so here's the link to TJ's insta. Enjoy your new bike... I'm in covid lockdown in Melbourne and not allowed more than 5km from home and no more than an hour. It hasn't had too much use from new.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBVQ-JpBvYv/
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Alpha One on Dimond Marquise: integrated headset dust cover? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beautiful bike. Thanks again for the info.

As far as photo resizing, I used this website:

https://www.img2go.com/compress-image

Hopefully it doesn't give any viruses. Probably Ben can give better advice since he also got his pics into the body of his message.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that works a treat here's a better pic of the top cap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

But why is that? Your headset bearing isn’t flush enough?

Honestly can’t recall exactly why as it has been two years since I built it but all I remember is that it didn’t fit. I think I posted something on the Dimond Club about it and had some conversation with Eric Greeley offline.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vonagut wrote:
Here's what mine looks like without the dust cap (2018 Marquise)
That's how I would run it if it were my bike.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the same boat as Eric. Mine fits flush though I have the Alpha X bars and not the Alpha one. My Marquise is also a 2016 model. Last time I talked to TJ there was not any change in the Marquise other than a larger bottom bracket storage box.
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Alpha One on Dimond Marquise: integrated headset dust cover? [Uno_mas!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thinking of getting the Alpha One. Has anyone trimmed off the excess monopost protruding below the base bar or do you just let it stay there?
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Alpha One on Dimond Marquise: integrated headset dust cover? [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I trimmed it on my Marquise. I have it slammed and without trimming it actually hit the head tube as it comes in at an angle. Left it untrimmed on my Omni, doesn’t hit the head tube like it did on the Marquise. 🤷‍♂️

It’s very easy to trim with a fine cut saw blade.

Last edited by: The GMAN: Aug 29, 20 6:05
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Alpha One on Dimond Marquise: integrated headset dust cover? [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are plenty of folks who do this - you can see a bunch of them in the photo roll on our facebook page.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Alpha One on Dimond Marquise: integrated headset dust cover? [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the headset cap should screw into the expander plug bolt? I'm using the FSA expander club that came on my Dimond, and there are no threads for the headset cap bolt to screw into (photo attached).

Do I need to buy a different expander plug bolt? Thanks!

Darren
https://www.strava.com/athletes/12385497
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah you'll want an expander plug with M6 interior threads, such as this one: https://www.spokesetc.com/...tm?variations=322607

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Alpha One on Dimond Marquise: integrated headset dust cover? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did your Marquise come with a threaded steerer plug (for the cable cover bolt)? Tririg linked one above, but I can't find it anywhere nearby (Utah). Can you just buy a different bolt for the FSA plug?

Darren
https://www.strava.com/athletes/12385497
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found the proper expander plug very hard to find.

Got this from a shop in Canada: https://veloholiccycles.com/...=0233fc33a&_ss=r

They shipped it to me in in the USA no problem.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the Alpha one, do you get rid of the typical rear brake barrel adjuster and run straight housing from the brake lever to the Tririg rear brake?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Straight housing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Installed my Alpha One. I have this gap between the Headset bearing and the dust cap? It's almost like the bearing is too tall compared to the bearing recess in the frame. Should the upper and lower bearings be the same size, mine are. Almost looks like the upper bearing should be thinner.

Quote Reply

Prev Next