Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trinity or Plasma?
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,

I currently own a rim brake Shiv that I've done a few upgrades to (red etap, quarq pm, bbinfinite bb, tririg alpha one, omega brakes, HED wheels, etc).. I am very disapointed on how difficult is to refill the internal bladder while riding and been looking at a possible "upgrade" to either a Giant Trinity or Scott Plasma (rim brake version). The main deciding factor is the front hydration box that is aero and easy to fill on the go and drink out of a straw.

Any suggestions/first hand experience with these 2 bikes? Trying to see which one would be the better choice once I decide to phase out my Shiv.

I decided to meet a goal of a sub 4hr 30min 70.3 before I get a new one and should be able to accomplish that this year.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated it.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Trinity or Plasma? [jcenteno1287] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are your fit coordinates?

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Trinity or Plasma? [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good question. Been trying to get a retul, guru fit or similar for some time but since covid happened they are not doing that anywhere near me (I am in Fayetteville NC).
I am 5'6" with a 31.5 inseam (roughly measured).

I know that doesn't help much since there is no other data. But I figure that I somehow could probably get on a XS frame on those bikes and make it work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you need to put out an APB for a fitter. Gotta be someone up in Raleigh that's good. Dave Luscan is up in Virginia if you want to take a ride.

First triathlon I ever did was the Woodlake Triathlon in Vass.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Trinity or Plasma? [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! Sadly woodlake (Lake surf) was drained a few years ago after a hurricane.
As you can probably tell I recently go into doing triathlons. I did Daytona in December and signed up for a few races this year.
I bought a used Shiv and found a shop that did fittings near Raleigh. It was done on my bike (no retul or such on site) and no changes were made from the position I held on the bike (after adjusting it all myself at the house...a person that has no clue). So I am sure it might have not been the best place for a fit. I will not mention the name of the place because they were very nice people and didn't even charge me since no changes were made.
I guess I need to hunt down a place that does retul fits.
Aside from getting that fit...what are differences between the Trinity and Plasma that might limit me from getting one or the other fit wise?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Trinity. I love it. I think it is fast. That said, I don't refill the front bottle during a race. I thought I might want to so I found a rubber top with the slits in it so that I could refill and now it splashes every time I go over a bump. Unfortunately I lost the original rubber. Aside from the front bottle, I love my bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From a price and logistic standpoint this a not straight-forward question. The Scott Plasma 5 was never widely available in part due to the price tag. The frameset is the same price Giant sells its top spec complete Trinity build. I do see Plasma 5's come up on the used market but they aren't common so finding one in your size is going to be a mixture of luck and effort. The Giant Trinity is at the other end of the spectrum as you can you buy the bike new.

In all honesty if your issue is the front hydration just run a standard BTA bottle and swap it when its empty or get something like this: FC System – Profile Design EU (profile-design-eu.com). You already have a world class front end with the TriRig so you are likely to make things worse rather than better when moving to the Trinity. The Trinity front end isn't bad but its just not in the same league as the TriRig. I am by no means you shouldn't get a new bike because everyone loves a new bike but the purchase isn't justifiable on the basis of the hydration set-up. Given your equipment list you are prime candidate for picking up an older frameset and doing something like this (TriRig.com - Gallery: Cervelo P5 Build). TriRig has an excellent archive of builds that provide inspiration for this sort of project which is why I have chosen them but you would need to figure out what frames actually work for your position.
Quote Reply
Re: Trinity or Plasma? [Fletch_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the original top didn't spill when going over bumps? Were you able to refill it with that original version? You are not using it anymore because of the spilling? How do you get around hydration?
Quote Reply
Re: Trinity or Plasma? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man it sucks because I had found what appeared the perfect bike... a 2019 plasma with durace di2 (minus wheels) for 3k. Should have pull the trigger on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fit is crucial, I am 5-7 and I can barely fit into the Plasma, 160mm crank arms. Adjustability on the cockpit is very limited. So before buying I would say the fit will help you tons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a trinity as well. The front hydration comes with two tops - one that is fully covered so you can't refill, and one with slits in it so you can refill on the go. If you use the one with slits, you'll get some splashing. I only put water up front, so this is no big deal for me. The front hydration system also carries something like 1.4L, so I only need the refill during an ironman or a long training ride. I also made a longer straw than the one supplied. Bought some food grade tubing for cheap and I'll cut new straws as old ones get gross.

That said, I love the bike but it's definitely not the bike for you if you don't fit it. The fit range is fairly narrow and I honestly hate working on the V brakes. If you buy one, make sure you get all the extra parts from your LBS since the bike comes with multiple stems, multiple bottle tops and a bunch of screws and spacers.
Last edited by: bearlyfinish: Feb 23, 21 8:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jcenteno1287 wrote:
So the original top didn't spill when going over bumps? Were you able to refill it with that original version? You are not using it anymore because of the spilling? How do you get around hydration?

The original did not spill. I had no need to refill, I just got curious. I still use it but I have to put up with some spillage. I run electrolytes in the front. Carb mix in a bottle on the down tube and I grab water at each aid station (couple of mouth fills and chuck the bottle). This works for 70.3s and I have no intent to do a full anytime soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Trinity or Plasma? [anibalplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you do have a plasma? How do you like it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do have one, 2015...I like it..I only use the front hydration for races, on the size small, the container is not that big, maybe 800 ml...easy to refill on the go, and you will have some spilled. If you have more specific questions please DM me...
Quote Reply
Re: Trinity or Plasma? [anibalplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been riding a Scott plasma for the past 2 years (the one pictured down here: https://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/page/plasma5). The front-end hydration system is extremely convenient. Easy to refill during a ride/ race, no spilling at all. Easy to take apart and rinse / wash. In a size S, I think its volume is c.500mL

I confirm the adjustability of the bike is limited though. The front-end hydration system also limits the adjustability to an extent

I love this bike!

It doesn't get easier, you just get slower
https://mymsracesironman.home.blog/
Quote Reply
Re: Trinity or Plasma? [Kampinou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats a good looking bike! Out of curiosity what are your measurements?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Height: 171cm
Inseam: 81cm
Weight: 61kg
Fairly standard build in terms of arm and torso length

My scott plasma 5 is a size S. See pic here:

It doesn't get easier, you just get slower
https://mymsracesironman.home.blog/
Quote Reply