Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tribike in Garage
Quote | Reply
I've had my SC now for a few years now. I've always stored it inside my house. My LBS told me that's better, especially if you keep pool chemicals in your garage. I don't keep pool chemicals but there are a variety of other hazardous stuff, paints, pesticides, cleaners, etc. I'm looking to free up some inside space. Am I being too paranoid about storing my bike in the garage? Any tips on doing so in a safe manner (covering it?)
Quote Reply
Re: Tribike in Garage [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
I've had my SC now for a few years now. I've always stored it inside my house. My LBS told me that's better, especially if you keep pool chemicals in your garage. I don't keep pool chemicals but there are a variety of other hazardous stuff, paints, pesticides, cleaners, etc. I'm looking to free up some inside space. Am I being too paranoid about storing my bike in the garage? Any tips on doing so in a safe manner (covering it?)

If you are comfortable breathing the air in your garage, then your bike will be fine.

I have pool chemicals, paints, oils, and all kinds of other stuff in the garage. my bikes have been stored in there for years, my mountain bike is over 15 years old now and its fine.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
Am I being too paranoid about storing my bike in the garage?

Yes. Unless your garage looks more like a chemical factory. Your garage is not going to hurt your bike one bit. Depending on your neighborhood... you might want to lock it up if theft is a concern.

Quote | Reply
I keep all of my bikes in my garage except one because it's a work of art (custom Ti) and it's in my office. We don't have a pool now but have for many many years and have never had any issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only reason I keep mine in house is that the house has a monitored security system. My shed does not. Cheaper cross bike and kids/wife bikes live in the shed. Nice TT and road bike indoors. Nothing to do with weather, air, etc...

A garage door is easily compromised for theft, if that is a concern.

So, it's fine out there. I'd just consider how the garage door is secured, or consider installing some fancy bike locking system to the garage floor. They sell them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys ask the strangest questions. Lmao
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bikes are in the garage. Absolutely no issues....until I used some DampRid to dry out the garage after a water heater leak. It caused corrosion on a bunch of exposed metal surfaces, including the CrMo rails of my bike saddle, bolt heads, etc. It also badly corroded the battery terminals on some electronics.

I still have the (now closed) DampRid in my garage (several years now w/no further problems). As long as the chemicals are in sealed containers I think you are fine, but an open container (or poor seal like a sack/bag) can cause issues.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only concern is chlorine. If you have leakage of the container, meaning granules are exposed to free air, and humidity in the garage is high, there will be accelerated corrosion happening. This is a minor issue with most modern bikes, only cheap hex bolts are generally affected, but if you have a nice steelie classic, keep it out of there.
Quote Reply
Re: Tribike in Garage [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll just add 1 other concern.
(All my bikes are in the garage. But locked up to string points in the walls with hefty chains).

Anyways to my 1 point.
My garage is detached from the house, and not heated.
English weather means from Nov through to the end of March we have a reasonable amount of moisture in the air. And the temp can fluctuate between a few C below freezing, up to maybe 10C in these times.
I find we get a lot of condensation forming on anything and everything in the garage some times during this period.
And that has led to some corrosion on steel parts eg bolt heads, dry-lubed chains, and saddle rails.
(Solved by wet lube and WD40 on exposed bits on bikes not being used for a period).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be careful about keeping the bike right near chemicals. My dad had some muriatic acid in a closed container on the floor in a storage area off their garage and put some old golf clubs right by it. They rusted right away, but nothing else in the room did. So barring that, it shouldn't be an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is this supposed to be in pink font?!
Quote Reply
Re: Tribike in Garage [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used to live in southeast US. Similar situations where steel parts can corrode (likely due to high humidity). Usually on top of bolts. Could be saddle rail if clamp had chewed away the coating. Lube more frequently. Otherwise no concern. I am near desert climate now and my garage is full of paint, two part epoxies. The only thing that gets annoying are spider webs.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Mar 24, 21 22:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bring my bike inside over the winter(Chicagoland).

Not only am I not using it during that time, but I feel the low temps and lack of riding accelerate the rot within the tires.

Other than storing it in a pool house you would never have enough chemicals in the air to hurt the bike.

Note: I despise bike trainers. I either run/swim exclusively or do spin class.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem with storing bikes in the garage is the temperature fluctuations and humidity.

When the air gets cold in the evening and night, the bike gets cold, in the morning when the air starts to warm it normally gets more humid. Since the bike is still cold, water vapor from the air condenses on the bike causing corrosion. If you let this happen hundreds of times it can be a problem.

That's one way I can tell if someone has taken care of a used bike I may be interested in. If I see corrosion on parts that wouldn't be subjected to sweat (eg...brakes) I can be reasonably sure it was kept outside or in a garage.
Quote Reply
Re: Tribike in Garage [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would never store any bike in a garage in my neck of the woods. Too much humidity, crack head thievery and meth lab fumes from the house next door.

-Florida Man

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply