Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon swim race issues
Quote | Reply
Hi

My past two races I have been suffering with an issue I have never had before, I seem to be mentally switched off and too relaxed for about 400m before I realise I need to start racing. I have no idea why this is because in training I seem to be ok training hard at the start but in a race I start way too slow, has anyone got any ideas for maybe a warm up that could get me fired up or any other ideas?

Leeds Triathlon VLog
youtu.be/PxMC8HvqnIM

Many thanks
Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon swim race issues [CelebSuett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CelebSuett wrote:
Hi

My past two races I have been suffering with an issue I have never had before, I seem to be mentally switched off and too relaxed for about 400m before I realise I need to start racing. I have no idea why this is because in training I seem to be ok training hard at the start but in a race I start way too slow, has anyone got any ideas for maybe a warm up that could get me fired up or any other ideas?

Leeds Triathlon VLog
youtu.be/PxMC8HvqnIM

Many thanks
Paul

hmm I don't know really, that's an odd one.. I normally pick out one of the top swimmers in my AG with the aim to jump on his toes, do that and just concentrate on staying on his toes, that will guarantee your pace is OK. There have been times when I've started too slow, thinking I'm going faster and vice versa. But if I'm all over the top guys I know that I'm going OK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get that if I don't warm up enough. I need about 15 minutes of swimming to get going.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon swim race issues [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do some sprints in your swim warmup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that necessarily a bad thing? How were your bike and run in those races?
For a good swim warm up, use some stretch cords
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon swim race issues [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Do some sprints in your swim warmup.

That's a great suggestion, I've done that as well with good results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do your times seem way off ? Are you sure it's not being switched off as opposed to feeling fresh and relaxed.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm the opposite. Have to contain my energy and not go out too hard in the 1st 200.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon swim race issues [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mean swim sprints or running sprints? Not always got time in the water to do much before the race starts
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon swim race issues [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Over 1500 I'm maybe 2-3 minutes off, I know that doesn't seem a lot but I have put a lot of work in over the winter and I'm not performing because of the start
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CelebSuett wrote:
Do you mean swim sprints or running sprints? Not always got time in the water, too do much before the race starts.

Unless the race director (RD) strictly prohibits warming up in the water before the race, I would make time to swim 20-25 min before the race, finishing up with a few hard efforts to simulate the race start. If the RD does prohibit swim warm-ups, then use the aforementioned stretch cords as a warm-up.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim sprints. 15 secs or so all out. Swing your arms on land or stretch cords if can't warm up in water. I've gone out too hard in last 2 ironmans ive done tho so perhaps I get too amped up? Hah or maybe I just think I'm fitter than I am..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said.. I try to get into the water 15-20 mins before start. Do 5-10 mins just building from easy to relaxed to strong. Then i usually do 5 x 20-30 strokes hard (building up to the pace you want to be holding for that first 100m) with an equal number easy or backstroke. After that just some relaxed swimming or head to the start. I try to head to the start at the last minute that I can.

If you are doing a race and you know you won't get a warmup (for instance ITU worlds never gives a swim warmup). You can use stretchy cords to try to simulate the above.

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon swim race issues [rj_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone really appreciate the brilliant advice
Quote Reply