Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon shops in Dallas
Quote | Reply
I'll be in the Dallas area soon and was wondering if there were any triathlon-specific shops in the area? Any help/directions would be greatly appreciated.

Kirby
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon shops in Dallas [slowride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't live in Dallas but have done several races there. Check out www.ironheadrp.com and www.dallastrigeeks.org for their sponsors. Should give a good idea of what is in the Dallas area. If you can, go to the Richardson Bike Mart located in Richardson (there are2). Good folks and an overwhelming amount of tri and road bikes.

fal7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No specific tri shops in Dallas to my knowledge. Richardson Bike Mart is a really cool shop, but really big. The previous posters suggestions about ironheadrp.com and dallastrigeeks.org was a good one.

Also swing by RunOn! running stores. They are good and do a lot of the timing for events in the area.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Richardson Bike Mart [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought my new P2k from them, the only place in TX that had one in stock in my size! Unfortunately they don't know anything about triathlon.

They are a great place with great people. Very friendly and seem very knowledgeable about cycling in general, and I'm sure they are experts on road bikes. Just don't ask them tri-specific questions.

They've got a huge inventory if you are looking to pick up something and their prices are excellent - some prices even rival mail order.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cobb's Tyler, Tx location would be an hour or so east of Dallas, Interstate 20. Run by Mark Miller, Ironman veteran and nice guy. See:
http://www.bicyclesports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I concur with everything that has been said about Richardson. Best to go sometime during a weekday (and offseason) if you want 100% attention from the salespeople. If you're reasonably knowledgeable about tribike fit principles (and every Slowtwitch.com aficionado ought to be be now) and have a working knowledge of the ins and outs of various brands with respect to sizing and such (again, if you're a Slowtwitcher...natch), they'll generally let you go ride anything you want. Of course, the fact that our bikes tend to have a generally higher avg price than most of the rest of the genres on the floor (save perhaps tandems) helps that last point...commissions are king.

If you go there, ask for Andy Page. He's an MTB freerider by nature, but very friendly and helpful as far as getting your testride ready. Tell him Carl the trigeek from Maryland sent you.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Richardson Bikemart is nice, lots of stuff, but not really a tri shop. Lukes locker has a ton of shoes and a pretty good tri clothing gear collection, but no bikes. It wasn't open when I was stationed there, but a store named Strokes and Strides Tri-Factory was getting ready to open in Lewisville, just outside the city, back in 2001.
Go down to Austin that is where the real Tri scene is.

Keith
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon shops in Dallas [kemfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THANK YOU! I could not for the life of me remember the name of that shop or I'd have mentioned it along with Richardson.

I visited both when in town on biz a year or two ago. Strokes'n'Strides is a small shop in a strip mall. Very small. Nice selection of shoes and clothing, as I remember, but I can't remember seeing many (if any) wetsuits and there was one Kestrel on the floor and it was the owner's. Shop is owned (I think) and/or run by (definitely) a strong regional woman triathlete whose name escapes me. The staff member (one of two employees besides the owner, methinks) I chatted with was friendly and helpful.

Seemed to be a place where you could get very good one-on-one consultation but if you wanted anything but shoes you'd be waiting for a special order and there was nothing to testride. I know they had more than one brand of shoes (maybe only 2 total?) but Asics and/or Mizuno stick in my mind. I was kinda desperate for some NB so that wasn't too useful for me.

Much of this may have changed in the year(s) since. Or not. Here's the contact info I found. It's NNE of DFW airport by about 12mi.

500 E. Round Grove Road, Ste 302, Lewisville, TX 75067,
(214) 488-5050

Carl Matson
Quote Reply