Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon cycling shoes
Quote | Reply
Can anyone out there give some feedback on the likes of Northwave or Lake? If I decided to go with a road shoe, which one would most closely resemble a tri-shoe? The sinlge strap makes no difference to me.

RunFAR Racing Services
http://www.Run-far.com
Team Cambridge
Hilltop Bicycle Repair
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon cycling shoes [runningmanrick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom D. has an excellent article about the importance of shoe fit (www.bikesportmichigan.com). Both SIDI and DMT's fit me as if custom built (43.5 in SIDI, 43 in DMT, my birthday is comming up, hint-hint). As my screen name might imply, I spend a lot of time hiking around in the woods. When it comes to footware, a bad fit will make the miles much less enjoyable, regardless of activity.

HTH

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Lake tri-specific shoes. I don't much care for them, and I don't use them anymore.

First, maybe there is something about my foot, but they're very difficult to get on. The opening is just very narrow for any foot, let alone a wet "sticky" foot coming into T1.

The second thing I dislike is that the strap closes to the inside. Surely they did this so it would be easier to reach down and close if you're one of those who keep their shoes attached to the pedals and slips their feet into them when they ride out of T1. But it's really an unnecessary design, and the excess strap rubs against my crank arm -- even when I trimmed it, I'd still catch the crank every few strokes and ever so slightly undo the strap. Drove me nuts.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a lot more to tri specific shoes than just the single strap. Strap orientation is one - opening to the outside for example. Lining made of material to accept a wet foot is another. I bought a pair of SiDi T1s last season and love them. Now they have a carbon sole if you really want to go all out. Check out Tom D.'s article and pay attention to the part about fit. Search back for some threads on the issue as well. A major point to remember for fit is that these shoes are not for walking and most of the problems with cycling shoes - numbness, blisters, etc. - are caused by them being too loose, not too tight. Counterintuitive but true. Check out bikesportmichigan.com for the article/review.

CH
Quote Reply