Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon and Infertility - an update!
Quote | Reply
Hello all.
Around a year ago I wrote a post on here about cycling and infertility. This was started by a worry that heavy training was impacting on my testosterone (which was low) and that this would effect my fertility.

I received some very helpful (and some nasty comments about doping with testosterone) but the end up was my fertility was significantly impacted by the sport. Very possibly by cycling in aero position and in particular cycling indoors in aero.

Most studies showing no impact on fertility from cycling are looking at populations like the Danish, who ride around sat up and are not ‘training’ so to speak.
Well this study in triathletes seemed to suggest there WAS a problem. Probably due to the mentioned aero position and heat build up from turbo training.
http://www.redalyc.org/html/3233/323327658001/

Anyway, my tests were very similar to those athletes, my sperm motility was low, my morphology was very low around 3%!
We feared the worst.
I also had a small varioceole as a probably consequence of trauma to the balls.

So what happened? Well I stopped turboing for a few months, just riding outside, minimal aero. I wore loose underwear and stopped any sauna sessions.
I took a few supplements including a dash of vitamin C.

A few months later my morphology was much higher, a pretty much normal 10% the varioceole had also pretty much healed.

Well something worked as our beautiful little man was born a few days ago. He rocks. I love him. I have lost all interest in triathlon (for now) he is my world.

I just wanted to post this on here to all the guys who may be worried about this, who may be worried that their T is low (mine is still low, but the evidence is that as I am happily married and have no need for high levels there is no need for more!)
And to anyone who had sperm tests like mine.

Best of luck to you all.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and Infertility - an update! [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the kid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations. Enjoy the little one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I enjoy this post.

"Do you have a condom?"
"No, but I am a triathlete who rides indoors and aero all the time"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This tugs at the heart strings due to I can relate. My wife and I have been trying for the last 6 years since the birth of our 1st daughter and getting hooked on triathlon. I have been also told that I have a low sperm count with low motility. Anyways congratulations. Nothing better then being a father!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post! Thanks for sharing your story.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and Infertility - an update! [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the little one! Infertility is hell to go through. My wife and I struggled for a couple of years before having our twin boys.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and Infertility - an update! [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the kid! I too was worried given all the indoor training but luckily we had no problems conceiving (I have a 2 yr old) but now my issue is I'm too tired to train and my training is a fraction of what it used to be. But all in all a kid is great!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and Infertility - an update! [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies guys (and gals)
I have to be honest he’s rocking my world and I can’t believe how happy we are.

Although he poops way too much
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a little disappointed, for selfish reasons. This was the most convincing argument I had to justify long training hours, against my girlfriend's protests.
Let's keep this between us. But I'm happy that you're happy! :-)

TriByran wrote:
Hello all.
Around a year ago I wrote a post on here about cycling and infertility. This was started by a worry that heavy training was impacting on my testosterone (which was low) and that this would effect my fertility.

I received some very helpful (and some nasty comments about doping with testosterone) but the end up was my fertility was significantly impacted by the sport. Very possibly by cycling in aero position and in particular cycling indoors in aero.

Most studies showing no impact on fertility from cycling are looking at populations like the Danish, who ride around sat up and are not ‘training’ so to speak.
Well this study in triathletes seemed to suggest there WAS a problem. Probably due to the mentioned aero position and heat build up from turbo training.
http://www.redalyc.org/html/3233/323327658001/

Anyway, my tests were very similar to those athletes, my sperm motility was low, my morphology was very low around 3%!
We feared the worst.
I also had a small varioceole as a probably consequence of trauma to the balls.

So what happened? Well I stopped turboing for a few months, just riding outside, minimal aero. I wore loose underwear and stopped any sauna sessions.
I took a few supplements including a dash of vitamin C.

A few months later my morphology was much higher, a pretty much normal 10% the varioceole had also pretty much healed.

Well something worked as our beautiful little man was born a few days ago. He rocks. I love him. I have lost all interest in triathlon (for now) he is my world.

I just wanted to post this on here to all the guys who may be worried about this, who may be worried that their T is low (mine is still low, but the evidence is that as I am happily married and have no need for high levels there is no need for more!)
And to anyone who had sperm tests like mine.

Best of luck to you all.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad to hear about the birth of your son. Congrats!

Attacking this day with enthusiasm unknown to mankind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on the kiddo!! That is awesome news.

My wife and I also struggled with infertility (there was something on both of us), but through it all we have 2 fantastic kiddos. Again, congrats!

USA Triathlon Level 2 Coach
Slowtwitch Master Coach
Head Coach, TriCoach Colorado, LLC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys (and gals)
I have to be honest he’s rocking my world and I can’t believe how happy we are.

Although he poops way too much

They all poop too much, but he'll only get more fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Great to hear about your family addition. Being a dad is the BEST! Poop is part of the trade off, although I still enjoy sharing poop stories with my 18 and 21 year old!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! I love happy endings :)

I am going through hormone replacement therapy for premature menopause, which manifested last year during the highest and toughest tri training volume I ever faced (IM training) and was diagnosed about a month ago, after several rounds of blood testing, MRIs of my pituitary, and ultrasounds of my female plumbing. The blood tests showed nonexistent level of estrogen, low testosterone, and high FSH. I went from waking up every day not having the will to live to wanting to just punch this motherf**ker in the face and move on with my life. Training to race has taken a backseat in all of this, but I'm still doing the workouts because it brings me joy even without the competition factor.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply