Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon Watch or get a cycling computer for the bike leg of a triathlon.
Quote | Reply
I currently am currently using a Suunto Spartan Sport for cycling. Since I am planning on getting a powermeter, should I fork out an additional $250 for the Wahoo Element Bolt or will my Suunto suffice?
Also how fast does Bluetooth Smart connect to a Triathlon Watch?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Watch or get a cycling computer for the bike leg of a triathlon. [Charleslo_99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Charleslo_99 wrote:
I currently am currently using a Suunto Spartan Sport for cycling. Since I am planning on getting a powermeter, should I fork out an additional $250 for the Wahoo Element Bolt or will my Suunto suffice?
Also how fast does Bluetooth Smart connect to a Triathlon Watch?

I suppose it depends on the individual. I like to be down on the bars with my computer screen right in front of me. Easy to scroll through if I need to rather than looking at my watch. Your watch will do the job assuming it doesn't have any pairing issues. My Stages gen II PM struggled with my 920XT, it would lose connection. Not a biggie as I had my Edge 520. Just something to be aware of.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Watch or get a cycling computer for the bike leg of a triathlon. [Charleslo_99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont want to look at my watch on the bike leg.. ( I use both )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use my fenix3 on the bike leg every single time without a fault or issue with my P1 tried it with my edge 1k & after it went to sleep it'd drop the right pedal however my ol reliable F3 saved the day as usual!!!

Only reason to buy another cycling computer is to have a bigger screen, Do I have one? Of course, but I normally leave the F3 for my tt bike and my edge 1k for the roadie.

I use the F3 quick release kit with it so I can attach it to the front of my aerobars and life is just simpler this way.

Use the money that would be spent on a cycling computer and invest it on a good PM but that's just my .2

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Watch or get a cycling computer for the bike leg of a triathlon. [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playero wrote:
Only reason to buy another cycling computer is to have a bigger screen

There are definitely several reasons for buying a cycling computer besides a bigger screen, as highlighted by other posters. Whether you consider those reasons are worth it for you is an entirely personal choice as a watch will work just fine, but there is definitely more than one reason for doing so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are just looking for a device to show your power numbers the Bolt is an expensive way of getting there. I like having a separate power meter head unit on my bike but this doesn't require a full blown bike computer.

However, if you find yourself using a lot of route planning and looking at maps then I would be looking for something like the Bolt. I think its much easier and safer to follow a route on a proper bike computer than on a watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Watch or get a cycling computer for the bike leg of a triathlon. [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:

There are definitely several reasons for buying a cycling computer besides a bigger screen, as highlighted by other posters. Whether you consider those reasons are worth it for you is an entirely personal choice as a watch will work just fine, but there is definitely more than one reason for doing so.

Please enlighten me as how any other cycling computer is superior than F3 or F5?!

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Watch or get a cycling computer for the bike leg of a triathlon. [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playero wrote:
rmt wrote:

Please enlighten me as how any other cycling computer is superior than F3 or F5?!

I'm curious too, been using my f3 + quick release.

If you're using precise map for mountains trails and stuff I certainly understand, but for a triathlon ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a 910 and use the quick release to swap it from my wrist to bike and then back again. I like to use one device to record the race, transitions and all.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Watch or get a cycling computer for the bike leg of a triathlon. [TriSolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSolo wrote:
I use a 910 and use the quick release to swap it from my wrist to bike and then back again. I like to use one device to record the race, transitions and all.

This is what I've always done as well. Ever since I started in the sport with a stop watch, and then my 405, now I race with my 910xt and do most of my training where I don't need a transition button with my vivoactive. I've always like the ability to just use the same 1-2 devices (which is why I do so much on the vivoactive despite the poor GPS battery). Once in a while I kick around the idea of a bike computer but it always seems that either A) it's way too expensive to justify buying it or B) it's too inconvenient.

With that said does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap GPS enabled, connects to Garmin Connect and/or Strava automatically, and will fit on aerobars with a BTA bottle? I'm not a fan of using the quick release as I've heard too may horror stories about "now at the bottom of lake placid" for me.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Watch or get a cycling computer for the bike leg of a triathlon. [strangename] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
strangename wrote:
playero wrote:
rmt wrote:

I'm curious too, been using my f3 + quick release.

If you're using precise map for mountains trails and stuff I certainly understand, but for a triathlon ?

The F5 has maps built-in to it and maybe the only thing it doesn't do is have more than 4 things on the screen and that group chat b.s. which in my opinion, you're either riding or chatting.

Today's smart watches have overcome their initial flaws and made those into strengths in my opinion! Even my recently replaced edge 1k still drops my right P1 pedal but not my F1 the 520 does every now and then

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get both.

I'd always used my Fenix 3 without any problems, other than it being slightly less convenient to mess about with and to see while on the bike. I've now got a Bolt, and it's a cracking bit of kit - A really good bike computer with lots of functionality. On my last(first) IM i managed to click my watch once too often starting on the bike and it started Run mode. So i ignored it and carried on using the Bolt for the next 112 miles of horrible pissing rain, gales and hypothermia. It was great :)

It depends if you want the whole triathlon linked together in Garmin afterwards as a single event. If you couldn't care less then use a bike computer for the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a suunto ambit 3 and it has never once been able to connect to my P1 pedals so I had to get a Garmin 520. Like others have said, being able to look down at the computer with all the relevant fields on display is the easiest solution IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always used my 310xt for the bike, with the QR kit. Problem is the QR kit makes it fookin massive, like strapping a 60 litre fish tank to your wrist. I treated myself to a BOLT, mainly for the navigation, but I'm very pleased with the bigger display and the ability to show more data on the main screen. I also LOVE the zoom feature which is just plain genius.

Now my 310xt is just for running and without the QR kit it is much sleeker.. only looks like a toaster is strapped to my arm, which is a nice improvement and I can nearly run straight now.
Quote Reply