Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog
Quote | Reply
To begin new vlogging platform of three days a week. He himself acknowledged the content was getting a little watered down. I’ve actually noticed that since he
did the haters video it’s gotten really bland. He’s had a couple product reviews that weren’t very interesting and a trip to Specialized Headquarters. I haven’t seen anything on training recently. I’ve been expecting an update on the keto experiment, but nothing has been discussed which is strange. I’m not sure if he abandoned that altogether and I missed it, or if there’s some other reason for the silence. He
did note his performance was lagging badly, so I’m wondering what happened.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't follow Taren but I also wouldn't be surprised if he just bit off more than he can he chew. For most professional triathletes it is one of the worst sports to pick from a balance perspective. It takes far too much time to train, recover, eat, sleep properly and then to either work on a building a triathlon brand or to continue your current obligations if you are a well-sponsored athlete. As an advancing age-group triathlete it is hard to focus on what you should be doing as an athlete when you are having to waste effort for the camera doing superfluous movements. I think someone mentioned he was retaining water??? Probably messing up his hormones/cortisol levels and regressing and makes sense to lighten the load.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be incredibly difficult to be good at triathlon and also a frequent youtuber that creates and edits most of your own content. You could be a crappy triathlete and "just wing it" through some races on occasion, but you need to be sleeping instead of making and posting videos. I've tried... it's nearly impossible to do both. He's set his sights on improving, which is majorly counterproductive to making frequent vids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
To begin new vlogging platform of three days a week. He himself acknowledged the content was getting a little watered down. I’ve actually noticed that since he
did the haters video it’s gotten really bland. He’s had a couple product reviews that weren’t very interesting and a trip to Specialized Headquarters. I haven’t seen anything on training recently. I’ve been expecting an update on the keto experiment, but nothing has been discussed which is strange. I’m not sure if he abandoned that altogether and I missed it, or if there’s some other reason for the silence. He

Aren't you not a fan of his? Seems like you follow him quite closely for someone who's not a fan...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He posted an update about a week ago and stated he was having difficulty with the Plews experiment (paraphrasing). He was up 6lbs and was monitoring things closely.

As for the vlog change, I wondered if he's seen a drop in viewership per video over the last couple months? I know that I don't watch nearly as much as I did a year or so ago, and I have to think that now that he has other streams of income / interaction through his training platform, that his efforts may be better placed elsewhere.
I think he is smart to reassess and get more focused about what he's putting out on YouTube... What he decides to target and who he wants to focus on, will be interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

Aren't you not a fan of his? Seems like you follow him quite closely for someone who's not a fan...

X2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't Mel doing all of his editing?

Looks like his training platform idea worked according to the video. Currently has 400 paying athletes. His platform costs $42 ($CAD 57)/month. Kind of a weird number, 57 bucks. I like round numbers personally. So I guess he's hit the point where he's sustainable depending on his P&L.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: May 28, 19 10:47
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He may not be posting daily vids but he sure as heck hasn't reduced the kooky claims. Today he said his running coach who he has only been working with for a number of weeks has cut 20 seconds per k off his time at the same heart rate!!

OMG... Imagine being able to easily go from 4min ks down to 3:40 with just a simple technique change... Where do I send my money??
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
He may not be posting daily vids but he sure as heck hasn't reduced the kooky claims. Today he said his running coach who he has only been working with for a number of weeks has cut 20 seconds per k off his time at the same heart rate!!

OMG... Imagine being able to easily go from 4min ks down to 3:40 with just a simple technique change... Where do I send my money??

I can do Venmo or paypal. Send me your money and I'll tell you how.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lose 5lbs. I take paypal.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

You did it wrong.

FIRST you take the money, THEN you give the advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

If only it was as simple as loosing 5lbs... :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think its a great idea. 3 high quality videos a week is better than 7 a week, some of which are forced and/or repetitive.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:

Taren typically leaves out information to make his claims sound better.

I suspect the 20 seconds faster refers to his easy run pace (not race pace). I've experienced the same thing where my easy run pace (at 135bpm) fell from 5m20s down to 5m00s (per km). My 5km race initially stayed the same at 3m45s. But over time the better quality training runs allowed me to log more mileage and my 5km pace dropped to 3m40s.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
I think its a great idea. 3 high quality videos a week is better than 7 a week, some of which are forced and/or repetitive.

Agree 100%. What he was trying to do was completely unsustainable.

With one of the videos being News Day Tuesday (which I assume doesn't take a lot of time), he only has to do 2 other videos a week.

Taren has recovery every 3rd week. Perfect time to bank 5 or 6 videos to be released over the next weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He posted an update about a week ago and stated he was having difficulty with the Plews experiment (paraphrasing). He was up 6lbs and was monitoring things closely.

Not commenting on Taren specifically, but the whole keto thing has to STOP!

I have no idea how people got it in their heads that this could be in any way helpful for hard training endurance sports athletes.

I have specifically reached out to some of the top people in Canada in Sports Nutrition (on the research dietary side not the product side) and, they have told me straight-up, it essentially does not work, the way they are positioning it. Research is on-going, and it is finding some INTERESTING but inconclusive results - but this is lab research, highly controlled research studies, being done by legit experts in the area, with athletes - not some random dude, saying, "try keto . . worked for me".

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much my thoughts. Any diet with a name is a gimmick. Just eat a healthy, well balanced diet.

It’s odd that he gained weight since the premise was to lose weight and use fat stores for glycogen in long endurance efforts. Looks like it backfired.

Fleck wrote:

Not commenting on Taren specifically, but the whole keto thing has to STOP!

I have no idea how people got it in their heads that this could be in any way helpful for hard training endurance sports athletes.

I have specifically reached out to some of the top people in Canada in Sports Nutrition (on the research dietary side not the product side) and, they have told me straight-up, it essentially does not work, the way they are positioning it. Research is on-going, and it is finding some INTERESTING but inconclusive results - but this is lab research, highly controlled research studies, being done by legit experts in the area, with athletes - not some random dude, saying, "try keto . . worked for me".
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree Steve!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that doing keto is just part of the process in his move to LCHF. He wasn't going to stay keto?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s odd that he gained weight since the premise was to lose weight and use fat stores for glycogen in long endurance efforts. Looks like it backfired.

Study after study has shown that the "mixture" of Carbohydrate and fat used when training racing is relatively fixed. It's predominately carbohydrate at the training/racing intensities that are common for most endurance sports athletes and that ratio stays the same as intensity ramps up. In other words, if you want to burn more fat - train harder and longer!!

Where people get this wrong is they buy into this falsity that by altering or manipulating diet and training intensity you can some how dial up the amount of fat you are burning relative to carbohydrate like you are turning dials on a stereo - that is false/wrong! If there is anything here - it's 1 to 2% stuff. Work on the 98% that we know works first, before moving onto the experimental 1 - 2% stuff. Why is this always so hard to understand?

As you noted - best thing to do is eat a well rounded diet with a focus on vegetables and fruit, and appropriate amounts of protein and fat.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JBell wrote:

As for the vlog change, I wondered if he's seen a drop in viewership per video over the last couple months? I know that I don't watch nearly as much as I did a year or so ago, and I have to think that now that he has other streams of income / interaction through his training platform, that his efforts may be better placed elsewhere.
I think he is smart to reassess and get more focused about what he's putting out on YouTube... What he decides to target and who he wants to focus on, will be interesting.

Heres the data from his YouTube channel.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, thanks. Looks like he's still trending well overall. Glad for him that it's not a knee-jerk change up to stay a float.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

I know this wasn’t to me, but I am a fan. Now granted I think some of what he says is garbage, but I watch most if not all his videos. He has nuggets to make me think from a different perspective on things and he provides entertainment. It’s okay to take on someone you’re fan of...I’m a Mets fan and they suck shit...but still a fan (damnit).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once a week is enough.

Maybe twice with one being just news.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Once a week is enough.

Maybe twice with one being just news.

IMHO he needs daily vids to drive newbs towards his training platform. But his daily vids need be no more than an update on his training for the day and thoughts on how he is progressing etc. He will quickly fall of the radar otherwise.

He constantly likes to compare himself to Casey Niestat-well Casey made a mega successful series just out of his day to day life. He needs to stop begin lazy and if he is going to be like Casey actually use some of his cinematography examples by telling the story while he is out and about. Dialogue from behind a desk is boring as bat shit...unless its his newsday edition.
Quote Reply

Prev Next