Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triathlon Canada WTF????
Quote | Reply
Got the notification regarding team uniforms and TriCan is using Project clothing from Australia as the supplier for Canadian National Team. Seems ridiculous to me when we have a Canadian supplier like Louis Garneau that's reknowned for it's tri kit. Also minimum compulsory uniform order is appox. $400. Anyone else disappointed and angry about this???

Proud Kiwami Ambassador/Team Member
ask me anything about:
https://kiwamitri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [trijunkie123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It isn't any different than the last few years in terms of the cost or the supplier.

I'm personally not a fan of the Project clothing, much preferred when it was Champion System, but I agree, using a Canadian supplier would be nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is the Project sizing true to size?

For the trisuit I'm at the top of the small size for shoulders but in the XS for waist. I'm thinking of getting a small, but I fit into the XS course m-2 suit.

2nd question- I'm not sure I completely understand what is compulsory. Do we have to buy casual shorts or a backpack? If so that sucks.

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup kinda confusing, think the compulsory items are trisuit, t-shirt, shorts and jacket. Have no idea on sizing.

ask me anything about:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah it's totally stupid. We'll have to pay import duties as well when the kits arrive. And that's after the bullshit of paying race entry fees in USD for a race IN CANADA.

Not to mention, $50 for a meh white t-shirt and $75 for plain black shorts or skirt?

I wish I would have pulled the plug before I paid the entry fees. I'm in too deep now but the event has definitely lost it's appeal for me.

Embarrassing for Tri Canada that we're paying US $ to race in Canada, wearing a Team Canada kit from Australia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We were told approx $500 for mandatory kit. It comes in under that. Agree re: Australian outfitter but suspect Garneau more $$. Champion is China.

If worlds wasnt here at home i wouldnt be paying the $1200 it costs to race ($600 register, $125 team fee, $500 kit)

Good news is Team Canada is approx 1200 athletes! USA i understand 1100. Australia announced about 250 coming from other side of world in their winter. Suspect Team GB would be 500. And the pro field announcing they are coming is stacked. It will be exciting.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like they've taken a page from USA as far as poor quality overpriced clothing and ripping athletes representing them in the name of patriotism. Glad I pulled the plug a long time ago. They're killing the allure of the WC.

trijunkie123 wrote:
Got the notification regarding team uniforms and TriCan is using Project clothing from Australia as the supplier for Canadian National Team. Seems ridiculous to me when we have a Canadian supplier like Louis Garneau that's reknowned for it's tri kit. Also minimum compulsory uniform order is appox. $400. Anyone else disappointed and angry about this???
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [alligatorCAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah totally agree and I'm also too deep into it to pull the plug now.

ask me anything about:
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the unis required. I mean yes I know you are required to buy the team kit, but would a 2016 kit be allowed for 2017? Or are all these federations really forcing you to buy new kit every event you do??

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup mandatory :p

ask me anything about:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even if you did previous years race and purchased brand new kit?

AGers pretty much fund this entire sport.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know someone who wants to race for Team Canada (a Canadian)? I have registered but now can't go due to an unavoidable conflict. No refunds - but they will let me transfer my registration to any age group (or gender) as long as its before April 9 the uniform order deadline.

I'll happily transfer my registration for 50% of what I have paid. I'll even contact Triathlon Canada to see if your age group is still open. Last information we were sent shows spots in most AG except M40-44; M45-49, M55-59; M60-64.
Last edited by: Kate S: Apr 1, 17 13:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes you would have to buy a new uniform even if you purchased new the previous year.

ask me anything about:
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same situation as you, small in the chest/shoulders and XS in the waist/legs. I will likely go with the small and plan on having the legs and waist altered if need be. I've had to do that a few times in the past.
But it would be nice to hear some feedback from someone who has actually used the kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know team Canada changes their kits pretty radically from year to year so they would easily be able to tell if it isn't an "approved kit." I can't remember for sure, but I think the USA ones have been the TYR suits with the stars and stripes on the side so you may be able to re-use them.

I have a theory that this is one of the ways TriCan "fundraises" for the elites, as I just don't see why athletes are basically paying full retail prices when they are doing a group buy of over 1000 kits.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Looks like they've taken a page from USA as far as poor quality overpriced clothing and ripping athletes representing them in the name of patriotism. Glad I pulled the plug a long time ago. They're killing the allure of the WC.

trijunkie123 wrote:

This is why I went to 70.3 world's in Austria from Ottawa Canada vs ITU world's in Chicago . Going across the pond on a long haul flight and paying Messick was cheaper and I would rather give money to etc/Wanda group than ITU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I wasn't the only one confused...that helps. I had a friend who happens to also be a professional tailor measure me today and try to understand the sizing charts. I contacted the email provided for the clothing company, because i am literally ALL over the charts in the components of sizing. Just ONE example, the over 200$ LD SuperFast Tri Suit, my HSP to crotch is 72cm = 2XL
My inner leg length is 19cm = XS. Lasty, My Leg circumference is 43cm, again 2XL. Nowhere does it ask for your WAIST on either this garment or the trishorts. I kinda thought waist was crucial for shorts if'n you don't wanna have 'em droppin' to the ground!!! :) It states right on the TriCanada website there will be no returns or refunds for missizing. The tailor quoted about $300 to make the necessary adjustments on the garments. I am stunned at the up-front cost and the possible need to tailor the clothing anyways. It HAS to be this year's uniform as well...no options there.

I'll see you in the run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is beyond ridiculous, and I'm seriously wishing I had not signed up now. But I'm in the same boat as others have mentioned, in too deep now. A shame though that this is now making me very cynical about this whole thing.

What is most annoying is that one of the four compulsory items is a pair of casual shorts OR and "urban backpack " (whatever the hell that is). What do those have remotely in common; other than adding another $75 to the kitty.

Next most annoying is $50 for a t-shirt? Every single race in the world ever throws these into your swag bag, or does the right thing and lets you skip it for a $5 credit that is the actual cost of year things. And they have the nerve to charge fifty freaking dollars? What in the holy hell.

And on top of all this they ship FedEx, who according to the order sheet has the right to charge us extra fees if we're not there between 9-5 to sign for the delivery on whichever day they happen to show up.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [Dufflite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was looking at the sizing charts too and they make absolutely no sense??? Hope someone from TriCan is on Slowtwitch and realizes what a cluster this is!!!

ask me anything about:
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [zoomrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed it is more than a bit confusing.
However it looks like the sizing chart that is alongside the tri suit photo is actually the garment dimensions not your body dimensions. I compared a couple of my own suits against the charts and they then make sense.
Down below the photo is another sizing chart tab which seems to be body dimensions, with waist, chest and hip measurements.
If I work with both the charts I can come up with something that makes sense, no guarentees it is correct though.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [Dufflite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Small things like this are why I think triathlon is losing. Charging THESE type of fees to these type of athletes is simply going to cause them to say "ok i'm done"....or "yeah this is one and done for me". Federations have to be super careful they dont tip the scale too much and the AG masses really do exit stage left.

Also one note...If you leave a note on your door for your delivery guy "leave package at door..sign X" that should count as "signed" for when receiving package.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LG and Sugoi never had had a good ITU suit historically.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's like last year use the coupon code to get the items you want up to the limit. Last year I skipped the jacket for Cozumel and got the nicer suit. I should have got the tank top instead of the time shirt too...

Think of the coupon as a budget. Last year the cart for Project didn't care what you ordered. The ITU only cares that your race kit meets their rules.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried contacting Tri Can with their feedback/concerns? Is it too late to make them change the deal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year you prepaid for the kit to Triathlon Canada and they gave you a coupon code to spend on Projects team sales site. Cart was not programmed to make you buy the so called mandatory items. If it's the same buy what ever you want if you are not going to the parade. Make sure you have an ITU legal suit. If I was going to P I'd just use it to get training kit since I have a Project ITU suit.

Quote Reply

Prev Next