Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon Bikes in the Age of Peak Aero: here it is ;-) [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Cody Beals wrote:
Just one example is that the Diamondback was tested without its integrated storage which would usually be in place, putting it at a disadvantage.

Who is defining "usually" for you?

Your protocol (/Jimmy's really) is just, honestly, ridiculous. Nobody is going to go to that trouble. The only tunnel where that's even remotely possible is at Faster, which is cheap, and doesn't have a completely reliable way of producing repeatable, accurate data.

Ok, maybe the Diamondback example is a bad one. Tbh, I don't know much about the bike.

I completely agree that the protocol of optimizing each bike would be ridiculous and unrealistic! As I said, "prohibitively time consuming". The point I was trying to make is that this theoretical protocol may have yielded quite different and more useful results. But it's a moot point because that kind of public, independent testing will never happen with wind tunnels costing $500+/hr.

Cody Beals wrote:
An alternate test protocol would have been to optimize each bike setup rather then attempt to standardize them. This would include finding the fastest position, helmet, clothing, wheels, fluid and storage options for each bike. This would have been prohibitively time consuming (Jimmy estimated ~6 hours per bike!), but more realistic and definitive.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Bikes in the Age of Peak Aero: here it is ;-) [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Outstanding! HED/Cervelo should be sending you a (couple) frames for selling them.. Can't wait to see how Specialized responds to this..
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Bikes in the Age of Peak Aero: here it is ;-) [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using a standard BTA bottle since mid-2016. I don't doubt that the Torhans Aero 30 was quite fast, even with a gap between the head tube. In fact, I recall Jimmy telling me that a gap between the Aero 30 and head tube even appeared to be optimal, based on testing with several athletes.

I ditched the Torhans for two reasons. First, I experienced two failures, one of which was during a race causing me to lose all 800 calories of my fuel. Those bottles were well designed from an aero standpoint, but the mounting system and plastic quality was problematic. Maybe I just had a bad lot or it's since been rectified. Fueling is too important to screw around with, so I went back to a tried and true round bottle. Secondly, as I'm gearing up for longer races like ITU Worlds where I actually need to hit aid stations (unlike 70.3), it's way more convenient to have a standard bottle up front.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Bikes in the Age of Peak Aero: here it is ;-) [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
Also, Stan, my name is not robert. I'm upset you don't know this.

ah. yes. i actually do know this. i just got a little mind bent temporarily.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Bikes in the Age of Peak Aero: here it is ;-) [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I still swear that the old P4 was/is faster than my P5-3.
Both in terms of the frame, the 'illegal' P4 bottle/fairing, and the lower headtube giving me a slightly lower, faster position. .......I know it loses some aero ground to the P5-6 and P5X, but not enough for me to ever consider having to "upgrade" it.

I'm glad you mentioned positioning. We could have run this test with me as the rider and gotten a different order in the results. I'm taller than Kiley. We could have used Heath who is even taller still and that may have changed things again or changed it back.

That's the one problem with this test is that it is most applicable to Kiley then less applicable but still relevant to people who can position themselves like Kiley rides then less applicable and less relevant the further you get from Kiley's position.

Cervelo's test with the mannequin has this same problem as well. The average triathlete rides more upright than Kiley or the mannequin which may or may not alter the results.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Bikes in the Age of Peak Aero: here it is ;-) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

i think there are 3 salient points that are routinely and repeatedly ignored by the P5X haters:

1. this is a new bike platform that is particularly priced in the halo range. felt behaves the same way with its new bike platforms. just as many bike companies do. it's proof of concept. if you don't want it, fine, cervelo makes really capable bikes at much lower prices. cervelo was always straightforward about what the P5X was and what it wasn't.

2. this platform - like felt's DA, like felt's IA, like many bikes - starts in year-1 at a high price and then descends in price in subsequent years

3. the bike is only built with a marquis groupkit, wheels, aerobars, etc. if you look at other bikes in this bike's competitive set, many are every bit or more expensive.

point 4, which is just now coming up, if you look at josh poertner's comments on wheel and tire width, if you consider this platform, it's much more likely to prove efficacious over time when paired with the aero wheels and tires you're more likely to buy next time you buy them.

you're going to get past this, robert. you're going to survive this. it's going to be okay in the end.

great post Dan. I agree with everything you have said. The reality is the P5X haters will never change their mind. Instead of saying Cervelo is lying, they will shift their attacks to price, looks, etc.

When the new Shiv comes out and has disc brakes, this argument will finally be over. For some of us, it probably won't ever be over.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jun 30, 17 10:56
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Bikes in the Age of Peak Aero: here it is ;-) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, even if you have an identical fit to kiley in terms of AS/AR you're going to get different results because different musculature, morphology, body hair...etc. all kinds of shit.

The real takeaway from this is that it's a great test for one guy and it's really cool to see how relatively little difference he experienced between the different bikes (rider-off testing is useful but not definitive in any way). Those who choose to make purchasing decisions based off this test are honestly kidding themselves and rationalizing their desires. Which is totally fine. This and all wind tunnel testing used for any marketing (and this IS marketing) is just inherently flawed.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Bikes in the Age of Peak Aero: here it is ;-) [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone should run out and buy a P5.

I guess we all take different things from these results and what they mean. Personally I take from these results that my decision to sell my P5 and spend the savings on a P2 that I have optimized to save watts (and likely scarcely behind the P5), upgraded wheels and a power meter was money well spent. I think that is what everyone should be running out to do/buy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
well, even if you have an identical fit to kiley in terms of AS/AR you're going to get different results because different musculature, morphology, body hair...etc. all kinds of shit.

The real takeaway from this is that it's a great test for one guy and it's really cool to see how relatively little difference he experienced between the different bikes (rider-off testing is useful but not definitive in any way). Those who choose to make purchasing decisions based off this test are honestly kidding themselves and rationalizing their desires. Which is totally fine. This and all wind tunnel testing used for any marketing (and this IS marketing) is just inherently flawed.

lol.

Any test, no matter the industry, no matter the product, has limitations.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Bikes in the Age of Peak Aero: here it is ;-) [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

lol.

i, as usual, don't understand your point.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Bikes in the Age of Peak Aero: here it is ;-) [jakesdk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakesdk wrote:
Quite interesting how well the P5-6 performs both with and without rider.

Very interesting, rider on the p5-6 & p5-x are very similar, but take the rider off and the p5-x becomes significantly slower, almost the worst tested. (nb. I'm aware there were issues with the p5-x rider off data)

I wonder why that is? Is the p5-x rider on data similar for most riders? Or will some find the bike to be slower than the p5-6?

Either way thanks to the testers, much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
BryanD wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

lol.

X2 lol

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
BryanD wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

lol.

I'm not surprised at all.

Go talk to test engineers and understand how no matter what test you do, there are limitations in all testing. Sample sizes, test methodology, statistics, etc. One thing I've learned in hardware test, there is no perfect test.

Last edited by: BryanD: Jun 30, 17 11:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:

X2 lol

This doesn't surprise me at all.

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Bikes in the Age of Peak Aero: here it is ;-) [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you not surprised at all by my lack of understanding with regard to your point made in your reply to my post?

i'm completely aware of limitations to testing. unfortunately, my high school teachers didn't care.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your post kind of implied wind tunnel testing is a waste of time.

I don't think it's a waste of time but it's just one test of many that need to be done in a design process. Perhaps the obvious CFD, maybe on road testing, and indoor velodrome.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My post didn't "imply" anything of the sort. It implied that other people (people other than Kiley) using THIS wind tunnel test as a basis for their purchasing is flawed, because wind tunnel testing is incredibly specific. THAT is what makes it useful. The specificity. to YOU. Wind tunnel testing is INCREDIBLY useful. You can use this test to make general statements like "man, bikes sure are close these days," and "cervelo sure does make some good bikes," or "huh, looks like disc brakes aren't as completely terrible as some of us assumed they would be!" but to say "the Ventum is slower than the Tactical" and then buying the Tactical isn't really the right way of reading these results.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Bikes in the Age of Peak Aero: here it is ;-) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
mknight84 wrote:
It still doesn't look better in person, but its good to know that at least its got a great personality.

it's like that lady (or man) who's somewhat attractive, and can quickly become much better or worse looking once he or she opens his or her mouth and starts talking.

now that the p5x has begun talking, it's going to become better looking.

I think that they still did it a disservice by not giving it real suspension (especially for us older guys). Why would one waste a perfectly good cantilever?

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
No disagreement there. But for some people, this may be what they need to buy a bike. As long as they understand the limitations of the test, and how it obviously would be different than them, then let them buy what they want.

I'm happy the P5-X won. I knew it would.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
maybe david will come on later, when he gets up, and explain why you're right and i'm not.

You're making me sound lazy.

You are right that the speed/power relationship does not scale linearly while time does. But that is the main reason why the equipment gains stay fairly similar.

Other factors:
Slower athlete has higher apparent wind angles so intersects a different part of the CdA curve
Generally, race days heat up and get windier. So a slower athlete has lower average air density, faster tyres and a further increase in apparent yaw
And, while the impact of aero stuff is greater as a percentage for faster athletes their speed gains are hard won (that non linear scaling) and the slower athlete is out there a lot longer to accrue gains.

Looking at Chattanooga 70.3 2016 (because there was more wind) - if we introduce slow Kiley with CdA 0.33, FTP 200w and consequent IF 0.725 (compared to 0.84) to keep TSS the same. He is riding 3.08 instead of 2.20. Going to a P5X from the B2 gives him a 91s advantage compared to the 87s advantage that actual Kiley would enjoy. Given the errors in testing we'd call that the same advantage. This holds for pretty much all the courses and sets of data I've worked with over the years - time difference is nearly constant.

One thing I wanted to have in the report was a comparison of fit ranges. Obviously that's a bit of a thing for me, but it's valid in this instance as not all these bikes fit equally for a range of people. Ventum with stock bars very limited, Andean very limited, Tactical better but I still need a bit more info to model that. P5 quite limited, P5X OK. B2 can do anything because it takes normal bars.Unfortunately I don't have data on all the bikes yet, nor have I had much time, so didn't submit that analysis.

And yes, the P5X with disc brakes has been vindicated. But give me another 9 months and the P5-3 (and possibly a P2) will be easily equaling it. For the aero part that was considered here.
Of course, that ignores wheels/tyres. I am limited in what I want to do with wheel design by the bikes that are currently available and the slow turnover of TT/Tri designs. So I agree that discs may allow us to eke out some tiny gains, but the testing methods will have to scale up to prove that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The real takeaway from this is that it's a great test for one guy and it's really cool to see how relatively little difference he experienced between the different bikes (rider-off testing is useful but not definitive in any way).

----------

My only complaint is that this test seems like it's going to be taken as the gospel now of aero bike shootouts. Look at how even Dan/ST have covered this. Maybe this is Dan's way of "showing" Kiley how hard/frustrating/consuming aero testing is. But I'm hearing triathlon magazines are covering this event, etc. So I think while even Desert Dude said exactly your explanation that this is for Kiley more than anything; it sorta comes across as a end all be all, put up or shut up super bike showdown.

Or shall I say, it feels the same way the Sub Nike 2 hour thing went down. It was a controlled test, that you know Nike was going to market it so much differently post race, especially with how close they came to breaking 2 hours.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Bikes in the Age of Peak Aero: here it is ;-) [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Kind of crazy how all of a sudden weight seems relevant again in light of how narrow these aero margins are. On Chattanooga 70.3 course a 4.5 lb difference makes like 10 seconds of difference, which is basically the weight difference between a P5 and P5-X (I suspect, no data). And that's a flattish course.

Even P4 to P5 needs to consider this. P5-6 is much heavier than the P4 was - which narrows the gap even on flat courses.
Some data points for further context:
- From the P4 bottle testing a Speed Concept would be 27s slower with a round bottle on the frame (for Chatt 70.3 2017) for you
- For one of my riders going from a somewhat loose jersey to a tighter one made more of a difference than worst to best in this test
- As did going from Selector to Aerohead for that rider
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
so disc brakes aren't as slow as we thought....

hrmmm I believe I said that a couple of times in the P5-X thread but no one believed me and wanted to run their mouth

.....or alternatively, imagine how fast that bike might or might not have been had disc brakes not been used ?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Bikes in the Age of Peak Aero: here it is ;-) [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
BryanD wrote:
so disc brakes aren't as slow as we thought....

hrmmm I believe I said that a couple of times in the P5-X thread but no one believed me and wanted to run their mouth

.....or alternatively, imagine how fast that bike might or might not have been had disc brakes not been used ?

Go have fun talking with Tom A.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
No disagreement there. But for some people, this may be what they need to buy a bike. As long as they understand the limitations of the test, and how it obviously would be different than them, then let them buy what they want.

I'm happy the P5-X won. I knew it would.

I really am not sure the P5-X "wins" it all here. Like I was saying above, you can really only draw certain general conclusions from certain aspects of this test. One such generalization would be:

Holy crap, the Tactical, out of the box, wins this test by a fracking MILE. (and, to a certain extent, the B series with a bunch of aero parts swapped out)
Last edited by: jkhayc: Jun 30, 17 11:52
Quote Reply

Prev Next