Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triathlon Aerobar Tape
Quote | Reply
HI, I am looking to switch up my bar tape on my bullhorn and aerobars. I will be doing a full IM so I need something pretty comfy I am interested to hear suggestions. Looking for a type that sells red. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Aerobar Tape [Try_Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp CX tape is awesome https://www.zipp.com/...ross-handlebar-tape/

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a double layer of tennis racket over grip tape... Good enough for 50+...
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Aerobar Tape [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just did mine with Lizard Skins DSP 1.8
Love it. Very grippy and comfy.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Aerobar Tape [Etip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am tempted to try and find some of this out in europe, not great for cruising but nice and aero for racing (assuming you don't spend your time in the bullhorns). Have definitely seen the British track team using something looking very similar.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15mm-Fishing-Rod-Pole-Handle-Non-Slip-Grip-Heat-Shrink-Tubing-Tube-Sleeve-/152682998662?var=

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m not using any bar tape, just a couple of pieces of skateboard deck tape on the bullhorns so my hands don’t slip when they’re sweaty. It’s surprisingly comfortable running it that way.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lizard skin baseball bat tape is great for aerobar extensions-I think it’s .5mm-good color selection, comfy, and thin.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Aerobar Tape [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too use the Lizard Skin baseball bat tape. I can find it at my local sporting goods/outdoors store, and it comes in many colors.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also just added this to my tt bike.

https://www.amazon.com/...f=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

I went with the 40mm, because I put it as a top layer over grip tape. But, it barely shrank enough. So, I'd go a size smaller for bare bars.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Aerobar Tape [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know about carbon tape !

So a recent Youtube clip with a pro saying they had carbon bar tape on their TT bike ? !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Etip wrote:

How does it compare to typical bar tape? It’s morw than 2x the cost. Curious if it’s 2x the performance/durability.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Aerobar Tape [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like lizardskins, soft, grippy, hold up well to wear and tear. They are my favorite out of the brands I've tried... fizik, specialized, some random cheaper tapes. Lizardskin on the extensions and tennis over grip tape on the bullhorns (hopefully I'm not on them very much). If I am really worried about comfort on the bullhorns I'd probably just throw a pair of old bike gloved in special needs or just wear some from the start...
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Aerobar Tape [stivrunning] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stivrunning wrote:
Anyone know about carbon tape !

So a recent Youtube clip with a pro saying they had carbon bar tape on their TT bike ? !

Nope, but sounds expensive. I'm cheap. The racket over-grip was like $5 for enough to do 5 bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just switched tape on mine. wanted something super thin and grippy. using profile designs aero tape.

https://profile-design.com/...ducts/aerobar-tape-1
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Aerobar Tape [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
Etip wrote:

How does it compare to typical bar tape? It’s morw than 2x the cost. Curious if it’s 2x the performance/durability.

I don't know yet. I like the way it feels, but much beyond that, I don't have time on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for lizard skins. Looks great, grippy, and knock on wood mine has lasted multiple seasons on both road and tri bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tennis overgrip works well for me.

Others on this forum have mention using a textured shrink wrap that is typically used on fishing rods that also works well on aerobars. I've never used it, but here's an example of what I mean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedshop 51 do an aerobar specific tape. I have not tried it but looks a good solution.

I brought some of the heat shrink fishing rod stuff. I haven't fitted it yet as I didn't have access to a heatgun and hairdryer didn't work well. Not sure how grippy it will be, but I noticed Hamish Bond uses it and he Seems to TT ok.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Aerobar Tape [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is my aero bar with a fishing rod grip. I used an electric stove to heat up the grip since a hairdryer wasn't powerful enough. I use gloves during races so the thinness and grip from the wrap works perfectly for me.

Last edited by: Tritops: Sep 20, 18 10:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My recently completed bike with the heatshrink stuff. I have one layer of tennis over-grip under the heatshrink on the extensions, and 2 layers on the bull-horns. as mentioned above, I bought the 40mm stuff, but it just barely shrank enough even with a real heat-gun. So, I would use 30-35mm if I were doing bare metal.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6729071#p6729071

I haven't had any issue with it being grippy enough. I did 50 miles last weekend in the Texas heat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, this does look kinda interesting with the aerobar specific width https://51-speedshop.com/products/aerobar-tape

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Etip wrote:

Wanted to update this.
After riding on these for a while- when this Lizard Skins DSP grip tape gets wet (sweaty) it gets pretty slippery. When dry, it's great, but I'm thinking of getting rid of it cos I'm not sure I'd trust it to keep my hands in place if I were sweating a bunch (which I do)

Just FYI
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Aerobar Tape [msrixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn’t have any luck finding it over here in Europe. Bought through amazon in China (MagiDeal Gleitsicher Warmschrumpfschlauch strukturiert Schlauchband für Angelgeräte & Sportgeräte - Schwarz 28mm https://www.amazon.de/...cp_tai_.dmfCb6F7CGGQ). Use for the extensions only, lizard skins on the bar.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Aerobar Tape [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I’m not using any bar tape, just a couple of pieces of skateboard deck tape on the bullhorns so my hands don’t slip when they’re sweaty. It’s surprisingly comfortable running it that way.

I am considering this option. I recently used a good tacky bar tape, but it is so tacky that my hands would stick to bullhorns and one side it is already lifting the regular bar tape and the finishing tape is already getting messy. They have only been on a few weeks. I'll admit I did not use a good finishing tape.

I do have a sheet of Talon Grip Tape as shown here as a somewhat long term solution, but was also considering ordering a sheet of skateboard deck tape. I would use the Talon grip tape on the extensions since it is more of a rubberized feel and it won't matter as much with sweating hands. I am more concerned that the Talon tape would get slick and unsafe on the bullhorns.

I am rarely on the bullhorns so I don't think the 80 grit texture would be too rough on skin. Plus my hands are fairly calloused from lifting. My main concern is looking at many of the gym machines have a skateboard type tape and a lot of those have edges rolling up. But they get a whole lot more use everyday.

Jason or others does the skateboard tape hold up pretty good? If so I want to make an order early this week and replace the standard bar tape before the weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Aerobar Tape [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I am considering this option. I recently used a good tacky bar tape, but it is so tacky that my hands would stick to bullhorns and one side it is already lifting the regular bar tape and the finishing tape is already getting messy. They have only been on a few weeks. I'll admit I did not use a good finishing tape.

I do have a sheet of Talon Grip Tape as shown here as a somewhat long term solution, but was also considering ordering a sheet of skateboard deck tape. I would use the Talon grip tape on the extensions since it is more of a rubberized feel and it won't matter as much with sweating hands. I am more concerned that the Talon tape would get slick and unsafe on the bullhorns.

I am rarely on the bullhorns so I don't think the 80 grit texture would be too rough on skin. Plus my hands are fairly calloused from lifting. My main concern is looking at many of the gym machines have a skateboard type tape and a lot of those have edges rolling up. But they get a whole lot more use everyday.

Jason or others does the skateboard tape hold up pretty good? If so I want to make an order early this week and replace the standard bar tape before the weekend.

Mine has been fine, shows no wear at all, although I've been off the bike since December. It's dirt cheap and easy to replace though....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply

Prev Next