Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri vs Road bike saddle setback?
Quote | Reply
I have been tinkering with my fore and aft saddle position on both my tri and road bike for a while now. I finally feel like I nailed it on my tri bike, but I am still trying to find that comparable saddle position on my road bike. I ride tradition nose saddles on both bikes with the same crank length. I am curious what the saddle setback difference is for your tri and road bike?

....Asking for help to fix my setback would be too difficult with all the fit variabilities, so I am asking your difference to see if there is an average range for a starting point. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs Road bike saddle setback? [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 5cm of setback on my tri bike, with 165mm cranks and a Specialized Sitero saddle. My road bike has 10cm setback with a Velo Power knock-off and 165mm cranks. I'd like just slightly more on the road bike, but the saddle is slammed back as far as possible. Previously I had a Velo Angel Ride (traditional saddle) on there, which had a 4cm longer nose which I had at 7cm back...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot depends on the reach to your bars, btw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My saddle height is really low because I have short legs 620mm
Tri bike is +47mm
Road bike is +5mm

I use a Classic Fizik Arione Road saddle on just about every bike a have.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs Road bike saddle setback? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
A lot depends on the reach to your bars, btw.

Can you explain? The bar reach should be set based on the appropriate fore/ aft position. Do you move your saddle to reach your bars?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs Road bike saddle setback? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Tri bike is +47mm
Road bike is +5mm

Thanks for the info. I am +20mm with a Specialized Tri Tip on my tri bike and I can only get -30mm on my road bike with Selle Italia Flite saddle maxed forward. It sounds like 4-6cm is the average based on a small sample size, so -30mm may work for me.
Last edited by: Jimbotri: Jun 27, 20 9:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimbotri wrote:
jaretj wrote:
Tri bike is +47mm
Road bike is +5mm

Thanks for the info. I am +20mm with a Specialized Tri Tip on my tri bike and I can only get -30mm on my road bike with Selle Italia Flite saddle maxed forward. It sounds like 4-6cm is the average based on a small sample size, so -30mm may work for me.

In the example I gave, I'm using 2 very different saddles. When I used standard road saddles on both bikes, the difference was 10cm, with the tri being 3cm ahead of the BB, and the road being 7cm behind. When compared to where I actually sit on the saddles, my current saddles have noses 8cm shorter on the tri, and 4cm shorter on the road...

Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs Road bike saddle setback? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
Jimbotri wrote:
jaretj wrote:
Tri bike is +47mm
Road bike is +5mm

In the example I gave, I'm using 2 very different saddles. When I used standard road saddles on both bikes, the difference was 10cm, with the tri being 3cm ahead of the BB, and the road being 7cm behind. When compared to where I actually sit on the saddles, my current saddles have noses 8cm shorter on the tri, and 4cm shorter on the road...

Thanks. 10cm is a big difference. I did some measuring when testing noseless saddles and I found ISM 5cm shorter than the Tri Tip and JOF 55 4 cm shorter. 8cm is a lot of chopped off nose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimbotri wrote:
Warbird wrote:
Jimbotri wrote:
jaretj wrote:
Tri bike is +47mm
Road bike is +5mm

Thanks. 10cm is a big difference. I did some measuring when testing noseless saddles and I found ISM 5cm shorter than the Tri Tip and JOF 55 4 cm shorter. 8cm is a lot of chopped off nose.

Its not so much "chopped off nose" as it is where the saddle is the right width. The Sitero is only about 35-40mm shorter than most saddles, but the point where the width is just right to support me is about 5cm back. In comparison, the WTB saddle I used to have on my road bike reaches the same width at 13cm back. But if you lined up the saddles at the rear, the Sitero is only 35mm shorter. So the Sitero gets clamped about midway back on the rails, while the WTB slammed all the way forward still wouldn't get quite forward enough to allow me to sit in my current position...

Quote Reply