Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri shoe...(or road shoe...?)
Quote | Reply
I really like my Specialized S-Works 6 road shoes. Have used them for 4 years.
Love the tight fit around the ankle ( I have normal to narrow feet).
I'm shopping for a new shoe for road racing. I'm also wondering if a dedicated tri shoe would be needed for tri's or if I'm overthinking it as a "yet-to-enter-my-first-tri" ...
What are the brands/models "most liked" by ST'ers ? And what are your pros/cons ?

My LBS carries Sidi-Northwave-Shimano-Scott-Fizik.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shoe...(or road shoe...?) [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shimano and LG, who both make very good shoes, seem to have a wide heel to me.

I have one pair of Specialized shoes and they fit well but I always go back to Sidi after trying something else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoe choice is really individual. I have the Garneau shoes (tri and road) and have Northwave (which I love). I would say if you like your shoes and youre going to do your first tri, stick with what you have. Lots of middle and long distance athletes use road shoes, in fact some prefer it (I had a pro tell me that he prefers the 10 seconds extra in transition so he can have better power transfer and better fit). Thats my two cents.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i use my s-works 6 shoes for tri. i have some of the lace up models specifically for tri with some stretchy laces installed.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer my specialized Trivent boa Tri shoes for everything.
Once you find a pair you like use them comfort is king. I found sidi shoes don't suit me at all, shimano are OK for me etc
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shoe...(or road shoe...?) [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the answers guys.
My son-in-law gave me his LG Course Air Lite II cause they were too wide for him.
I had the same problem and kept my S-Works 6 so my guess is LG shoes won't fit me.
I was looking for an older Trivent Expert shoe wich were available for cheap on the net to try, but now I can only find odd sizes available...
...And yes, I don't think that I need the bonus seconds in T1 as much as I first need to find a pair that fits me well, and experince my first one or two tri's and see where I can improve form there...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can wait until April I'll have something for you :)

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been feeling Bontragers lately. There is a knit version of the ballista that will be my tri shoe this year. Fit is comparable to Sidis.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shoe...(or road shoe...?) [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

Interested to see what you come up - make the colors over the top and obnoxious!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shoe...(or road shoe...?) [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

Following your project and it looks promising !! Yes, I can wait, patience is one of my best qualities ( I'm a teacher ;-p) .
I wonder if my budget will allow me to buy such a high tech product though....

Last edited by: louisn: Dec 6, 19 9:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your budget is in the range of S-Works road shoes, you should be ok.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
louisn wrote:
I really like my Specialized S-Works 6 road shoes. Have used them for 4 years.
Love the tight fit around the ankle ( I have normal to narrow feet).
I'm shopping for a new shoe for road racing. I'm also wondering if a dedicated tri shoe would be needed for tri's or if I'm overthinking it as a "yet-to-enter-my-first-tri" ...
What are the brands/models "most liked" by ST'ers ? And what are your pros/cons ?

My LBS carries Sidi-Northwave-Shimano-Scott-Fizik.

I would be curious to know how you found slowtwitch if you have not even signed up for your first triathlon. The main difference in triathlon specific shoes is they are made for easy and exit out of transition to save a few precious seconds. That is a pro. The main con is bulky straps can mess with the aerodynamics of the shoe/foot area causing you to go slower. Whether the shoe drains and ventialites to dry the foot can also be another feature.

With that being said the S-Works 6 road shoes is a minimalist sort of shoe and should be decent for aerodynamics, although there are better. A few years back, I had hunch that I could make a better shoe by taking a lace-up shoe, the GIRO SLX at the time, removing the laces and using elastic instead. I thought it could be easy to get into and out of, while being very aero. Turns out it was, I did a blog post on it here if you are curious.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shoe...(or road shoe...?) [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, you unmasked me Tom :-).
I first entered ST ( 6 yrs ago) because I heard triathletes were a "special breed", crazy about aero-ness, tehcnology, and they were shedding mint condition equipment on their forum classifieds because already eager for the newest, more aero stuff ;-p.
Turns out I never bought anything here, but sold lots of stuff, lol.
I yet have to complete my first official tri. Not easy for me as I've always have been a "one sport" only type, I have been a "masters" cyclist for 15 years, but rarely race. Raced a bit in my early twenties.
I still have trouble juggling all three sports, but I'm motivated (can't really tell why) to try a few official events. I sure like to train and improve all three disciplines. A big factor for me is registration fees. $100. for me is an important figure, better spent generally on groceries or bills ,...lol !!
I am learning to run (new sport started last year at age 52), and going back in the water after a 25-30 years hiatus.

BTW I ended up in S-Works 6 shoes as a payment from the kids's bike club where I was coaching. Instead of accepting money for my time, I got the shoes ( my first ever high end shoe model) and a Park Tool stand from their bike shop sponsor :-) .

Never thought about laceup. Not a bad idea. I guess you have to figure out ideal fit because not really adjustable once you're started. My BOa S-Works are so tight I have to sit down and force them in to enter them. If I'm doing a Tri with them, they will for sure remain in the bag and not clipped on the pedals...I tried a few "sprint practices" at home, including transitions, and that was the conclusion of the different tests with the shoes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
louisn wrote:
ok, you unmasked me Tom :-).
I first entered ST ( 6 yrs ago) because I heard triathletes were a "special breed", crazy about aero-ness, tehcnology, and they were shedding mint condition equipment on their forum classifieds because already eager for the newest, more aero stuff ;-p.
Turns out I never bought anything here, but sold lots of stuff, lol.
I yet have to complete my first official tri. Not easy for me as I've always have been a "one sport" only type, I have been a "masters" cyclist for 15 years, but rarely race. Raced a bit in my early twenties.
I still have trouble juggling all three sports, but I'm motivated (can't really tell why) to try a few official events. I sure like to train and improve all three disciplines. A big factor for me is registration fees. $100. for me is an important figure, better spent generally on groceries or bills ,...lol !!
I am learning to run (new sport started last year at age 52), and going back in the water after a 25-30 years hiatus.

BTW I ended up in S-Works 6 shoes as a payment from the kids's bike club where I was coaching. Instead of accepting money for my time, I got the shoes ( my first ever high end shoe model) and a Park Tool stand from their bike shop sponsor :-) .

Never thought about laceup. Not a bad idea. I guess you have to figure out ideal fit because not really adjustable once you're started. My BOa S-Works are so tight I have to sit down and force them in to enter them. If I'm doing a Tri with them, they will for sure remain in the bag and not clipped on the pedals...I tried a few "sprint practices" at home, including transitions, and that was the conclusion of the different tests with the shoes.

Well welcome to the sport. Plunk down that $100 just to join the club! And yes, the fit takes some tweaking, but one benefit of elastic is the laces give a little bit during hot Ironmans where your feet are going to swell. And you can just use them for racing. For training you could always use something else or the same shoes with laces. Specialized makes some great cycling shoes though. You have some great shoes.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Dec 12, 19 22:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you’re that concerned about money don’t bother buying new shoes. You’ve got arguably the best on the market. You don’t need tri shoes, most pros wear road shoes. Save your money.
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Dec 7, 19 8:57
Quote Reply