Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri bike recommendations
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,
I am new to triathalons and am looking for my first tri bike. I will test them when the snow thaws but I am between theee options and would like insight from those more experienced. In my budget (2500-3000)I can get:
Quintana Roo Lucero lite 2015 with Reynolds carbon wheels (NOS)
Cervelo P2 Di2 2017 (Nos)
Cervelo P2 105 2018

Seems like Cervelo is the most respected but for a little less money I can get the QR with carbon wheels.
Am I better off with the base Cervelo and hope to add better wheels later? Or are the bikes similar enough to go with the value?
Thank you for the advise
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike recommendations [edmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NOS speed Concepts are about 2800-3000$ with Ultegra, wide tubeless 50mm deep aero wheels. Fast, integrated storage, almost limitless fit options. I can't see why that doesn't make your list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Cervelo P2/P3 is a solid bike, and it is the most popular brand at most of the big races. However, a lot of fantastic bikes have entered the market since the P2/P3 was a world beater in 2013. I would expand the list to consider the Felt IA16, Trek NoS Speed Concept, and Canyon Speedmax CF 7.0. The P2 has a poor cockpit with horrible cable routing. So, you are looking at a moderate investment on top of the initial P2 purchase just to get that bike in the same league with the others, but probably not faster. Because of that, IMHO, the P2 is overpriced by several hundred dollars relative to market.

Di2 is awesome. But, 105 performs very well and you can always upgrade the groupset. It is really hard to upgrade the frame.

Getting carbon wheels from the start is also pretty cool. But I suspect the rest of the Lucero Lite is slower than many other bikes at the $3K target.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it's not the answer you were looking for but check out and shop around at a couple different bike shops. The one I bought my last 2 bikes at I ended up getting an older model bike on clearance. Just 2 years ago I ended up with a 2011 Felt b10 original stickers and everything on it. Came with stock 40mm wheels, built up with Ultegra derailleurs, and Vision metron shifters (awesome once you get used to them) and went with 10 speed to save even more cash. Total price was $1500 fit included.

On that note Felt always seems to have some pretty fast stuff on a comparatively low budget. Especially if you have their self branded stuff. Scuttlbut says the Felt wheels are really DT Swiss just re-branded. Base bar was alloy but winged. Aerobars were ski bend alloy profile.

Moral of the story is you never know what you can find collecting dust. My 2011 is likely better than most entry level stuff today and probably on par with most lower mid even some mid stuff for less than half the money fit included. Don't be afraid to be a little different i this sport. I'm one of the few still running 10 speed but considering it doesn't really buy you any time except maybe on some bonkers hill fest it's a great way to save money on both the initial purchase and replacement parts. I can always upgrade anytime.

As far as the shop goes I did have to drive out of my way. They are a tri specific shop so if you're in Massachusetts check out Fast Splits. Tri stuff can be hard to find so don't feel committed to one shop.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are looking at the QR's, I'd go with a PRThree rather than the Lucero. Much nicer frame, performance wise it's pretty much a wash with the P2 but with some additional features that you may want, and neater rear brake cable routing than the P2.

I don't put too much stock in test riding bikes, especially not road or tri bikes.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edmd wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am new to triathalons and am looking for my first tri bike. I will test them when the snow thaws but I am between theee options and would like insight from those more experienced. In my budget (2500-3000)I can get:
Quintana Roo Lucero lite 2015 with Reynolds carbon wheels (NOS)
Cervelo P2 Di2 2017 (Nos)
Cervelo P2 105 2018

Seems like Cervelo is the most respected but for a little less money I can get the QR with carbon wheels.
Am I better off with the base Cervelo and hope to add better wheels later? Or are the bikes similar enough to go with the value?
Thank you for the advise

if only there was someplace that would publish solid info on tri bikes in the $2,500 to $3,000 price range. dang!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike recommendations [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One pattern here on ST is to find a good deal on a P2 (like $2000-2200) then upgrade by adding a Power meter and nice wheels.

For another $100 you can get a base bar that cleans up the front end.

There is an old string that shows what users have done to base model P2s, it is below.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Can_I_see_pictures_of_your_new_2014_Cervelo_P2_(white_and_blue)_P5171780/?search_string=blue%20and%20white%20p2#p5171780
Last edited by: endosch2: Mar 22, 18 7:19
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike recommendations [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
One pattern here on ST is to find a good deal on a P2 (like $2000-2200) then upgrade by adding a Power meter and nice wheels.

For another $100 you can get a base bar that cleans up the front end.

There is an old string that shows what users have done to base model P2s, it is below.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Can_I_see_pictures_of_your_new_2014_Cervelo_P2_(white_and_blue)_P5171780/?search_string=blue%20and%20white%20p2#p5171780

I did this.. found a 1 year old p2 105 for about 2000.

Still need to clean up that front end though. I bought it figuring I would, but it I just fine without it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike recommendations [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
The Cervelo P2/P3 is a solid bike, and it is the most popular brand at most of the big races. However, a lot of fantastic bikes have entered the market since the P2/P3 was a world beater in 2013. I would expand the list to consider the Felt IA16, Trek NoS Speed Concept, and Canyon Speedmax CF 7.0. The P2 has a poor cockpit with horrible cable routing. So, you are looking at a moderate investment on top of the initial P2 purchase just to get that bike in the same league with the others, but probably not faster. Because of that, IMHO, the P2 is overpriced by several hundred dollars relative to market.

There are a combination of factors that make the Cervelo a good choice. They are the most widely distributed so the "market price" is typically well below the retail price. The other thread I linked to shows that most users paid between $2000-$2200 for a P2. Trek Speed concept may have more dealers but the majority of Trek dealers dont really have lots of speed concepts on the floor. Also the P2 / P3 still maintains the top position for aero even though it is a 5 year old frame, and the "horrible" cable routing on the front end can be cleaned up for $100.
Last edited by: endosch2: Mar 22, 18 7:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
There are a combination of factors that make the Cervelo a good choice. They are the most widely distributed so the "market price" is typically well below the retail price. The other thread I linked to shows that most users paid between $2000-$2200 for a P2. Trek Speed concept may have more dealers but the majority of Trek dealers dont really have lots of speed concepts on the floor. Also the P2 / P3 still maintains the top position for aero even though it is a 5 year old frame, and the "horrible" cable routing on the front end can be cleaned up for $100.
A new (or NOS) P2 at $2,000 - $2,200 would be a great deal and a great foundation. However, that generality may not help the OP. For example, I have not seen a shop that sells a P2 below retail in my market, and I think I talked to every Cervelo shop in the area when I was shopping. Maybe the OP could find a deal, but it does not look like it from his original post.

And suggesting that someone can get a new aero basebar for $100 is probably also an edge case. What if the OP is not a mechanic and is relying on the shop's inventory on hand and their labor. That $100 quickly escalates to a few hundred dollars. By the way, no basebar eliminates the problem of the rear brake cable entering and exiting the side of the frame like a road bike.

The P2/P3 gets to competitive aero after a number of mods to equal the current crop of $3K entry level bikes. You have to replace the cockpit, front brake, and fork to make that leap. At that point, it is no longer an easy turnkey solution for a lot of people. (The P3 has a way better cockpit, but it is also a massive price leap over the P2.) Out of the box, a P2 is probably on par with a Shiv.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
The P2/P3 gets to competitive aero after a number of mods to equal the current crop of $3K entry level bikes. You have to replace the cockpit, front brake, and fork to make that leap. At that point, it is no longer an easy turnkey solution for a lot of people. (The P3 has a way better cockpit, but it is also a massive price leap over the P2.) Out of the box, a P2 is probably on par with a Shiv.

A Shiv gives you an internal bottle and storage. A P2 gives you none of this.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
endosch2 wrote:

A new (or NOS) P2 at $2,000 - $2,200 would be a great deal and a great foundation. However, that generality may not help the OP. For example, I have not seen a shop that sells a P2 below retail in my market, and I think I talked to every Cervelo shop in the area when I was shopping. Maybe the OP could find a deal, but it does not look like it from his original post.

And suggesting that someone can get a new aero basebar for $100 is probably also an edge case. What if the OP is not a mechanic and is relying on the shop's inventory on hand and their labor. That $100 quickly escalates to a few hundred dollars. By the way, no basebar eliminates the problem of the rear brake cable entering and exiting the side of the frame like a road bike.

Every poster on the link I attached got their P2 for $2200 or less. Look for a close out - they are all over the place. Vision alloy base bars are around $65. They move th ecables to 3" from the stem.

Besides, if you are a new triathlete you would be best spending your bike upgrade money first on a PM, and second on set of Heds Jets or Flos with nice tires before you start worrying about the front end. That would be my order of priority. I would also argue you dont have to replace the fork at all. That makes no sense to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PRO missile alloy basebars are around the $100 mark and don't look like they are far behind most of the carbon options out there, for a lot less cash.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giant trinity advanced pro.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike recommendations [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with BryanD that the Specialized Shiv is one of the best bikes out there for $3000 you get 105 on it. I was also in the market for a new tri bike a couple months ago and I was looking at other brands but I just kept coming back to the Shiv because it probably has one of the best integration built into it when it comes to nutrition. My only gripe is that you won't have any integrated solutions to put spares for your bike (unless you order the Fuelcell) but that can easily be solved.
Another option is the Felt IA16 which is very reasonably priced for what it is. Another option is to see if your Cannondale dealer still has a Slice sitting around. They are really good for someone with no experience with a tri bike and for less than $2000, you get it with 105 and you still have money left to upgrade the cockpit, add a powermeter as well as get better hydration options such as a X-lab or profile design BTA bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike recommendations [Charleslo_99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giant Trinity Advanced is what I'm running. It's been a fast enough bike for me...the only thing holding me back is myself. I will probably keep that think for three more years, add some race wheels for the only real change. When I purchased the thing, my Giant Store hooked me up with the Giant Bento Box that comes with the Pro, even gave me the bottle for the pro if I wanted it...should have ebayed it instead of saying no thanks because it's for the Pro Version with the integrated fork. I have X-Lab cages on the rail and a Profile Design aeor bottle on the attachment point in the frame. The more important thing when it comes to hydration for me was adding the FC 35.

Trinity Advanced is $2k. It gets the job done. But I'd probably get a Felt IA16 now if I was back in the market for a beginner.

What is the Trek NoS Speed Concept, it doesn't come up on the google.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With your budget of $2,500 to $3,000, I think you should aim to spend closer to $2,000 to leave some room for good wheels and any other accessories for the bike. Which puts you in the price range to get a really solid used bike, which may already have good accessories on it.

If you want to get new, I have nothing bad to say about any of the bikes suggested, but I will put in a good word for the P2 Di2, which is what my wife rides. It's a fantastic value for an electronic shifting bike and easy to work on. Keep in mind that it does NOT come with electronic shifters on the base bar like the P3 Di2, but you can always add them later, which is what I did to my wife's bike. She loves the Di2.

I have a Speed Concept that has been a great bike. Actually not too bad to work on either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone for the great recommendations. Appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike recommendations [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
NOS speed Concepts are about 2800-3000$ with Ultegra, wide tubeless 50mm deep aero wheels. Fast, integrated storage, almost limitless fit options. I can't see why that doesn't make your list.

I agree
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely read the front page articles from the last couple weeks... In your $2.5-3k range there are great bikes like a Felt IA, Trek SC, QR PR3, Cervelo P2, Canyon Speedmax, etc. to be had brand new... Definitely information in those articles I wish I had when I made my first purchase... FWIW, having a P2 seems to be somewhat like having a Ford 5.0 engine... parts are everywhere and information is plentiful if you run in to issues.

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply