Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Training?
Quote | Reply
Last year I did a training day in June . I did it with a very fast guy and went to hard. I over heated and got sick. I did not seem to recover all year. I could do great on single day training at a ave pace , but when I pushed or it got very hot I would get that same sick feeling. It last through Sept. When I had the poor Ironman.
Could this have been my Adrenieals(sp). What could couse this? I'll be very careful next year. I have never had problems in heat before!!!!!
Please help with any ideas on why this happened.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Training? [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This could be anything so it's impossible to even attempt to give diagnosis over the net. If you're concerned a good place to start might be to go see your family doc for a complete physical which should include blood work, urinalysis, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another thought, other than the physical is to have a stress test done on a treadmill. It could be good to see how your heart/body reacts to tough physical bouts.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Training? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed

Best to head to your GP and get a full physical including blood/urine work done. One day of training is not likly to tip the balance and lead to months of fatigue and lethargy.

One thing that I will say: In the past I have found that when I was run down a bit, my Iron count was low. Not out of the clinically accepted range just down very low in the range. A round of Iron supplements coupled with some modifications to diet would get things back on track soon enough. But this should be checked by a GP.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed with getting a full workup...

You should also check with your insurance and also see if you can get a referral from your GP to a nutritionist. If I learned enything in my nutrition class is that nutrition is hideously complicated and beyond the scope of what a physician can asses above and beyond the physical diagnosis...

BUt definately this could be a lot of different things, but the length of your malaise is cause for concern... good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Training? [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reality is that most medical doctors know very little about nutrition. It's not even offered at most med schools and only as an elective at others.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Training? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Accordin to LCME (the liscencing board of medical schools) all medical school curriculum has to include some srt of basic nutrition... the lack of this requirement is slightly outdated information...

However it is true that most doctors do not know much about nutrition... this is not due to lack of interest but the sheer complexity of it. A nutritionist will tell you that a thorough nutrition assesment (not really worth it to do a non thorough one) is going to take 30 minutes to over an hour... much longer than a doctor can give to one aspect of one patient... This is why doctors are told to refer petients to nutritionists. The difficulty does not excuse a physician for not considering nutritional issues... (even though they often do)

The truth is nutritionist want physicians to refer their patients to them. During my nutrition class in school I was listenting to a lecture about the process of a nutritional assesment... the description itself took 10 minutes... so i asked the question "this seems to take an innordinately long amount of time to do... as future physicians what can we do to asses nutritional status of a patient ?"
the asnwer was ... "We want you to refer your patients to the nutritionists"

The moral of the story is nutrition is important and nutritionists are an important part of a health care team. Many doctors are not thoroughly aware of nutritionists so patients should take on the responsibility of bringing the issue up as well
Quote Reply