Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Performance Test
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any suggestions for doing performance tests in swimming, biking, and running. I primarily use a treadmill in the winter with a heart monitor, I use a Taxc Grand Excel bike trainer that gives me power output, heart rate, cadence, etc, and swim in an indoor 25 yd pool where I can do heart rate testing after the workout. Thank you for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Performance Test [cannondale kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My coach has me perform the following tests regularly to track progress.

On the bike, a 15 minute time trial noting HR at 5, 10 and 15' plus overall distance and watts. I do these on the CT on a flat course.

On the swim, I do 10X100 with exactly 10 seconds rest and compare overall times.

On the run, I do a 3 mile time trial noting hr and times at mile 1,2 and 3 plus of course, overall time.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have the issue in front of me, but 220 Triathlon and a few other publications outline what is called the RAMP test, and it is pretty accurate for the bike. Search around for it and you may find it on the web. I have Sometimer's, and I can't remember where I put the article. I will not do this test protocol until I have built my base after this stupid tailbone injury finally heals.

At least it ain't All's Timers (yet)...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Performance tests are tricky thing. The main problem is that you do not want to go "full-out" unless your prepared adequately for that effort. The other things to consider - is what exactly are you trying to measure and understand in relation to different phases of preparation and applied training strategies.

From sport performance point of view - your full effort results on ANY distances (and in any sport) - your best tests and indicators of preparedness. However, again, you really do not want to put yourself into stress when you are not ready for that. So, what are the alternatives? One of the best known alternative - is to measure reaction during a standard interrupted test (2-3 min 3-4 reps with 1 min rest. Start first rep freely, second 50% effort, third - 75% effort, forth 100%). You can do the same in each sport. Ideally - what you want to measure - is Power Output / HR dependency. It will be a good idea to measure your Lactate level accumulation after each effort together with HR. One test by itself, whatever you do - is not that indicative due to fact that in that case at best you will be comparing personal test results with database of exisitng similar results (in case your coach possess such database and has an opportunity and education to provide proper interpretation of results). The progression of your test results - what is really important since now you are comparing you to yourself in time. Such progression, though, is still useless unless you connect the test results with training strategy.

It may sound complex, but the reality is that this issue is indeed not that easy, especially from interpretation point of view. One have to have adequte and quite specialized education to the job right. Try contact experts from SuperSportSystems.com - they may offer you proven protocols which were used on decades of elite athletes.
Quote Reply