Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tri_Friendly Vehicle
Quote | Reply
I am looking at getting a new vehicle in the next 10 months (I usually buy used vehicles, 2-3 years old with relatively low miles). Any suggestions on vehicles which are readily adaptable to a tri lifestyle? I would like lots of secure storage space for my gear, ease of bike rack mounting, and comfort (I spend better than 2 hrs. a day in my vehicle.) A lift tailgate also might come in handy for changing during brick workouts. I have a Jeep Cherokee now, but was thinking of something like a Subaru Outback. Any other suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri_Friendly Vehicle [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the Nissan X-Terra? That thing looks like it was made for "people like us."

It has a built in bike rack from what I hear...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Last edited by: muppet: Sep 10, 03 7:11
Quote Reply
Re: Tri_Friendly Vehicle [muppet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2000 Xterra, and it is a good vehicle for tris. Mine usually looks like a roving tri shop.

There are two options for bike racks. They sell an internal bike rack, which is a great idea. But when I installed it, my bike wouldn't fit without removing the seat post (it's really made for mtn bikes). So, I returned that and got the roof rack, which fastens to the aluminum rack on top. It's make by Yakima for Nissan, so it's high quality, with a built-in lock. The only drawback of this is the height of the vehicle. It took me a while to get comfortable putting my bike up there. You have to pick the bike up, and step up on the running bar, or on the rear wheel. A difficult maneuver, to be sure.

If you're not comfortable with that, a Subaru Imprezza wagon might be a better option. It's lower, AWD, and available in a WRX (turbo) version.

------------------------------------
Lou Savastani
Drinker (with a triathlon problem)
Quote Reply
Re: Tri_Friendly Vehicle [lousav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Subaru Outback sport, same body as the WRX, but no turbo and mre affordable. It's nice that it has the rubber mat in the back hatch so I can throw wet or muddy stuff back there. It's nice with AWD when I go to tri's and can park anywhere.

You can have a roof rack or a hitch rack too. Honestly, most any car will do. I'd say get the vehicle that will be reiable and affordable so you can spend more money doing tri's than on the car that takes you to them.

If I had to get another car besides the subaru, I'd get the Honda Element. Great room in the back and it has rubber mats and the seats are very stain resistant too. Check it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
XTERRA? Outback? Far too small...

I finally got my dream car - a Ford F-150 Supercrew. Holds three bikes in the bed rack - which I can lock with a cable - plus plenty of room for tents, coolers, camping gear, etc. It has four full size doors and they fold flat for even more storage - take off the wheels and I can lay my bike in there easily.

I took it to Vineman this year, and there was plenty of room for three of us. The downside it gas mileage - something like 1MPG highway, zero city. For long trips I would need to tow my own fuel truck... But it's big and will hold everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A mini-van of your choice. I can carry two bikes, scuba gear, black lab, wife and two teenagers with no problems. IMO, it's the only way to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just traded in my 200 Nissan Xterra and I can say that it was a POS. Too small, terrible gas milage, small engine......etc. I also thought of an OUtback or a Mazda Protoge 5 wagon but they ended up being too small (my 2 large dogs travel with my wife and I). I found a used low milage GMC Yukon. It is plenty big for passesngers, bikes and gear. I have a Yakima rack that was easily attached to the top of the vehicle. There is area in the back to change and get ready for a brick. I just drove 6 hours to Phoenix and got 15-18 mpg driving 80 mph. And with leather, this baby is COMFY! I tried all those mid size wannabe's and now I know that full size is the way to go. GMC Yukon or Chevy Tahoe!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outbacks are great if you do a lot of driving on snow covered City streets. The ground clearance is too low to offer any real off-roading capability.

My thought is that the most tri-friendly vehicle would be the one that produces the least amount of emissions that you have to breathe in after you're parked your car and are out swimming, biking, and running. Honda had many models that meet this criteria. Yes, I know that the guy lining up to you probably drove an Excursion to the race, but remember that the big picture is made up of a lot of large pixels. Be a good pixel and maybe you'll inspire the next one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Volvo V70 - lots of space in the back for dogs, kids, junk, cooler, etc - can get roof rack for bike (but don't have to lift as high to put on as on SUV like Xterra). Comfortable, better on fuel than most SUVs and no more expensive than most SUVs

my .02$

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could not help but join in on this one :-) If you really want a tri friendly vehicle, use a bike. Use it as your primary means of transport. I ride my Kestrel 200 SC everywhere. To work, to workouts to the grocery store, the bank, to the barber etc etc. Since 2000 when I got it, I've put 35000 km on the Kestrel, with over half the mileage being transportation, the other half workout specific !

Coincidently, we bought a Toyota RAV4 the same year which my wife and son use most of the time and I use occaisionally (we are a 1 car family). If we exclude vacations, we've only put 48000 km on the motorized vehicle, so my quads have been working almost as hard as the underpowered 4 cylinder thing that they call an engine in that RAV4. As for workouts, I choose to run and ride right from my front door or office or bike to the pool for swims, thus avoiding commuting time in a car. Then again, I choose to live in a city where I can do this for 9 months a year (the rest of the time, we have 3-6 ft of snow on the ground, so I have to use XC skis to get around, thus perpetuating the myth of Canadians living in igloos :-) ).

Seriously though, the cerveloguy' suggestion of a VAN is bang on. You can even remove the rear seats and sleep in the back for races and save on hotel bills ! Have you seen the new Nissan Quest ? Looks pretty good and seems to have some serious power !
Quote Reply
Re: Tri_Friendly Vehicle [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If you really want a tri friendly vehicle, use a bike."

Amen, brother.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri_Friendly Vehicle [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If you really want a tri friendly vehicle, use a bike."

Amen, brother.

Commuting 70+ miles a day (mostly on interstate) in 110 degree heat indexes is not too practical on a bike.
Quote Reply
RV it. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always thought the ultimate tri-vehicle would be a nice RV. Very roomy and comfy. While someone drove it you could be, riding a bike on a trainer, taking a shower, napping, eating, watching a movie, or just about anything else you'd rather be doing right after a tri. (Instead of sitting in a cramped car for five hours.) Not to mention you could camp out at a lot of Tri's the night before and not have to pay for a hotel.

But, since you are looking for a vehicle to commute in, I'm gonna have to say go with a mini-van. they are big enough for bikes, small enough for everyday driving, and they get decent gas milage. (Though they aren't as cool as a giant roaming house with your name painted on the side.)
Quote Reply
Re: Tri_Friendly Vehicle [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Count me in as another truck person, especially after being hit and run at 50 mph. Nissan Frontier crew-cab, which can fit 3-4 bikes and assorted stuff. For the full Wildflower weekend, two bikes, two people, camping gear and lots of firewood worked quite well. It even comes with a little pop-up tent to go in the bed of the truck. Kept me nice and dry and above ground at this year's WF rainfest.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Go for the Outback! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Subaru Outback is a GREAT multisport lifestyle vehicle. In fact, I think it's the best. I recently purchased a used 2000 Subaru Outback LTD with 65,000 miles on it for a song at $11,000. Blue Book was $16,500. It's value and function are incomparable. Leather seats w/ bun warmers, 6 speaker CD player (stock), front and side air bags, alloy wheels and it drives great.

I looked at Volvo Cross Country (too pricey), Volkswagen Passat wagon (no value here. What happened to "the people's car?" These things are expensive), Nissan Xterra (too high and I didn't need the clearance), Mini van (no way!), Pickup truck (have one! A good ol' American built '89 Chevy 1500 350 LB PU to haul bikes or 4x8 sheets of plywood or drywall).

I thought about many vehicles, but this one had it all. Lots of rack options, low enough to ground so dog could jump into the back, AWD for the occasional trip to Squaw Valley and Tahoe City in the Winter without having to mess with chains.

Check it out. Chances are you won't be disappointed.

Sean
Last edited by: haystack: Sep 10, 03 21:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote for a mini van. The two key features required to make it really friendly are:

1) The rear bench must fold into the floor of the van. Mazda and Honda both do this. Others may as well. This means you don't have to carry it from the van to the carhole. Ever.

2) The middle seats must be two individual seats, not a continuous bench.

This allows you to quickly drop the rear seat into the floor and roll the bike straight into the back, with the rear wheel fitting nicely between the two middle row seats. My father rides a 61cm cervélo Soloist with the seat pin at Max extension and it fits into the Mazda MPV. You have to tilt the bike to get it through the hatch, but no disassembly is required.

If you think you may need to camp, as did the Divine Ms Morgan at WF, then remove all the seats before you go and sleep on the van floor with your bike. (Admit it, we all want to sleep with our bikes at least once.)

If you need to transport all your buddies and their tri stuff, then the bikes go on top or on the back and everybody rides inside.

I find that with the exception of vehicles like the Yukon or the Suburban, most Sport Utes have suprisingly little room and even less utility.

My $0.02, and it's Canadian, so it's worrth even less.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Tri_Friendly Vehicle [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you cerveloguy. Minivan all the way. Got an old unit I'm driving now. Took out the center seat to make it a mini-limo. Without the center seat, bike slides in perfectly. Babyjogger same deal with no disassebly. Plus the three kids across the back. Dark windows shield what's inside. Last year the day before EagleMan was brutal - rain, wind, horrific. All those beautiful bikes on cartops and rear racks. Your trusted steed deserves only the best - climate controlled comfort.

And to the original poster, you will not find a more comfortable ride for your 2 hour per day gig. Rides like a car and carries a whole lot of stuff. Get a rooftop bubble if you need to carry more. You can fit a couple of kids up there too if you have to carry more than 2 bikes. Swallow the pride, go with the minivan - get a tricked out version with DVD so your backseat buddies can watch old TDF footage on the way to the venue.

CH
Quote Reply
Re: Tri_Friendly Vehicle [Chubby Hubby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Minivan all the way. Got an old unit I'm driving now"

Me to. I've had my Dodge Caravan for a number of years now. Still runs/works great so I won't bother replacing it until it falls apart underneath me. I spent a lot of money on hot cars when I was younger, but now I just want utility to get from point A to B. Guess you know that you're middle aged when you're more concerned about how long a vehicle will last than how fast it will go!
Quote Reply
Re: Tri_Friendly Vehicle [paul m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>If you think you may need to camp, as did the Divine Ms Morgan at WF, then remove all the seats before you go and sleep on the van floor with your bike. (Admit it, we all want to sleep with our bikes at least once.)<<

HA! WF is my ONLY camping gig of the year!!! But you will never find this gal driving a min-van........

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tri_Friendly Vehicle [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"But you will never find this gal driving a min-van........ "

Amen, Sister.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Tri_Friendly Vehicle [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"But you will never find this gal driving a min-van........"

Hey, some soccer moms can be very sexy...
Quote Reply
We went with the Passat [haystack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new ones when compared with the other sedans that size have a lot of extras as standard, and have some of the slowest depreciation out there of any vehicles. And compared to a Volvo, you get a lot of bang for your buck.

With the back seats folded down, I can fit my bike in the back of the Passat without taking the wheel off. Respectable gas mileage, good cargo space, a very refined interior. And the heated seats are rather nice for achiness issues after a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have a minivan and it was great. Right now I'm driving a Taurus wagon which has almost as much room as the van but uses less gas and rides nicer. It is really easy to transport the bike inside (it has a 60-40 split seat so my kids can fit too) and it has a roof rack for a big cargo bag on top for the less important things like clothes and non-race gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My current tri-vehicle is my only petroleum-powered vehicle, and was not purchased with tri in mind. It does the job however, with the aid of a Yakima rack system and a couple of Viper bike mounts. Okay, so it's not the most spacious, and certainly won't do the job if you want to sleep in it - but I guarantee I'll be the only one with a '66 Karmann Ghia at any race I attend. :)

If I was in the market for a tri-specific vehicle, I'd probably get an old cube van. Lots of room in the back for bikes (and sleeping), big doors for easy loading, and can be had for not a lot of money. (Actually if I was looking I'd target a mid 50's VW bus - but for normal people a cube van makes much more sense)

If reliability and the comforts of a new(er) vehicle are higher on the priority list, look into the Toyota Matrix or possibly the Honda Element. Plenty of room for bikes and gear, but still featuring that new car smell & modern comforts such as heat & AC.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri_Friendly Vehicle [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I guarantee I'll be the only one with a '66 Karmann Ghia at any race"

Super. One of my favs. I had two Porsche 356's - a 1960 Cabriolet and then a 1961 Coupe. Could never afford them now. This was in the late 70's when 911 owners wouldn't even talk to us. How things have changed. My Dad had the first Volkswagen bug convertible ever brought into Canada in the mid 50's.

Love those air cooled German four bangers.
Quote Reply

Prev Next