Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Club vs. Tri Team
Quote | Reply
I have recently seen a couple of posters refer to themselves as members of a tri team. Is this just another name for a tri club or is it a different beast? How many of us out there are members of a tri team vs. a tri club, and what does it mean to be a part of tri team as opposed to a tri club? Just curious about how our sport is orgnaized on a more-or-less grassroots level.
Quote Reply
How do you feel about tri "teams?" [garth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garth, as to your question, I believe tri teams and clubs are the same thing. I could be wrong though.

This post does bring up something that I thought I'd ask. My intention is not to be inflammatory, just to get others opinions. How do you guys feel about tri clubs/teams? I'm all for tri clubs bringing people together for training, hosting races, supporting grass roots initiatives, and furthering our sport in general. The thing that I don't really get, or like for that matter, is the emergence of the "team" aspect at races. It's not that members of the same team cheer each other on and support each other that gets to me. I think that's great. It's the team categories at races, and other forms of "assistance" that I've witnessed. I like the idea of triathlon as an individual sport. In my opinion the heavy presence of teams at some races takes away from the individual aspect of the sport. (It has been pretty bad at many of the races here in SoCal, not sure about the rest of the country. Although I did a race in VA last year that was basically team-free.) I've even seen some team members racing together in nice, organized pace lines. Obviously racers not in teams illegally draft too, but it's a bit harder to deny intentional/premeditated drafting when everyone in the pace line is in the same "colors". So I've got to admit that I was a bit bummed to see more races this year supporting the team concept. Maybe I'm just a Killjoy. Just thought I'd air this one out.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Club vs. Tri Team [garth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Team" looks cooler on the jersey. That's the only difference.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you feel about tri "teams?" [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not a member of any club or team, but I think the team concept isn't a bad one as long as all the rules of a tri are being followed. As long as the only race advantage you have as a member of a team is having trained with and having been pushed by your teammates in training,...two thumbs up.

I'm not a fan of separate divisions for teams or separate teams vs. teams competition, though. There's already enough awards per race given overall, age groups, athena and clydesdale divisions. Soon there's going to be more awards than racers!
Quote Reply
Re: How do you feel about tri "teams?" [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Genuine "Teams" is a slippery slope, as pooks noted.

At Big Rock last year, a paceline of four guys in matching "club" kit went rolling by me at mile 25. They were in tight formation, not even trying to hide their drafting. They all looked about my age, and I picked up two race numbers. Sure enough, both of those guys had great bike splits (top 2 of 4 in my AG -- I wonder who the other 2 were....hmmm) and strong runs. It really, really, really pissed me off. They were from a big California tri club (not San Diego's).

So, teams in the mountain-biking sense (individual effort, but with a team comraderie, etc.) would be fine. But man, we need to keep an eye on them in non-drafting triathlons.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you feel about tri "teams?" [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>They were from a big California tri club (not San Diego's). <<

A big SO CAL club, yes?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How do you feel about tri "teams?" [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm Julian. How do I know exactly which team your post is referring to? There is one team in Southern California that, in my opinion, is doing more than its fair share in giving triathlon teams a bad name. I've come across many at races who are equally annoyed by them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garth,

I know there are at least 2 of us who frequent this site that are on a "team".

We are part of the queens university interuniversity team (basically, varsity) and compete as a team for team points as well as individual against other universites in ontario.

I dont think there is a lot of local "teams" out there though who have the same set up as us though...ours is basically run through the university.

hope this helps,

-Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Club vs. Tri Team [Beefy75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was it the LA tri club?

Semi related topic----you guys see any emmergence of a tri team like that of the Team J David coming back around again?

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Minnesota (this MAY differ in other areas) we have both teams and clubs.

CLUB -- Anyone with 50 bucks can join one or multiple clubs, get their jersey and reap the benefits of being part of that group. Clubs are generally larger because they run on the old addage "The more the merrier." Most clubs (at least in Minnesota) cater mostly to beginners and focus on triathlon AND social activities (not necessarily related to triathlon).

TEAM -- Invite only. Some teams require you to pay a certain fee (for jerseys, gear, etc.). These groups are generally smaller and consist primarily of experienced athletes who are either fast, popular, or all around nice folks. Teams are a bit more serious (i.e., the workouts are excruciating) and focus largely on race performance rather than "let's get to know one another." Many teams offer victory bonuses (or something along those lines) so if you win a race you get money or credits or points or gear or something.

Though these are popular distinguishing features, some of these points WILL overlap (e.g., I know of at least one club that offers victory bonuses) but this SHOULD give you a better idea.

-gc
Quote Reply