Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not...
Quote | Reply
Tri Bike brands you would or may avoid if they do NOT have or move towards disc brakes?

Would anyone DQ a brand in the near future as more brands & wheel compaines move to a disc brake tri frame?

Example, I called Canyon & they said they have no plans in the next year or two to move away from rim brakes. Not that I plan on buying one any time soon, but WOULD this cause YOU to not buy a brand with the new disc trend?

This could be a poll on the right if it hasn't been yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I want my next bike to last 5-7 years and it’s obvious that it’s all going discs. No disc = no sale for me.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a MTB hydro disc brake user with a set of Hayes in 2000 and I was a huge believer back then and they were awesome, but even in 2018 I still don't see the need for hydro disc brakes in triathlon for my specific use-case. I know we are going there and eventually everyone will have to go there, kind of like how HED was hung out to dry with wheels and not going carbon clincher, but I don't need to be a earlier adopter in this space. I don't ride my TT bike all that often to begin with. If we get to a point where disc bikes are truly faster and don't weigh a ton then I would consider it, but I suspect we have lots of innovation and it is always rapid at the beginning of the cycle. I'm not holding it against any company at this point, in fact, I support their decision.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would I want a disc brake?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Tri Bike brands you would or may avoid if they do NOT have or move towards disc brakes?

None. I have no need for a disc brake TT bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:

Because all the cool kids have it?

Seriously though, questions like this were asked back in the day: "Why would I want 9/10/11 speed when 8 is perfectly good?" or "Why would I need a Tri Spoke when a laced 36 box rim does the same job?" or "Why would I want a full sleeve wetsuit when wetsuit pants work perfectly fine?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, I don't see a lot of use for them either, that said, the shift is towards disc. Since Canyon USA today stated to me they are staying RIM brakes, with more wheel manufacturers moving that way as the main line up in their inventory (maybe all of it for some), I don't see myself buying a rimmed bike such as Canyon or anyone else with rim brakes. It'll be like trying to get rid of a 19 or 20 mm race wheel. They are becoming more rare and tires harder to find compared to 10 years ago.

I wonder how this will turn out. I do like the Canyon look/offerings in general, but would they lose market if they do not comply with the trend...? I would suggest to them and other companies to be working on a disc solution for their bikes not now--but like months ago...if not, they may be behind the 8-ball already.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [geauxTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

None. I have no need for a disc brake TT bike.[/quote]================================================
same here.
peggy
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
RBR wrote:

Because all the cool kids have it?

Seriously though, questions like this were asked back in the day: "Why would I want 9/10/11 speed when 8 is perfectly good?" or "Why would I need a Tri Spoke when a laced 36 box rim does the same job?" or "Why would I want a full sleeve wetsuit when wetsuit pants work perfectly fine?"

I was being serious. I really don’t know anything about disc brakes for tri bikes

As for gears I understand that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would reverse the question.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So my 2010 rim brake, mechanical drive train, 10 speed Advanced Trinity SL-1 ... fast as fuxk, TT bike isn't race worthy because it doesn't have disc brakes? Who knew! I will likely be racing it another 8 years from now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you want a USB key bigger than 256MB?

It doesn't matter, because rather than keeping those around as a cheap option, they protected their margins by ceasing manufacture and moving the size up to multiple GB.

It's not that we need disc brakes, it will simply be the only mainstream option in the future.

Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m still not understanding

I’ve never owned a USB key.

Maybe I am just a person who gets what I need to reach my goals

I want to go faster on my bike so I don’t see why I would need a disc brake but maybe I am missing something

I have a Cervelo which will probably get me by for another 8 to 10 years so won’t need to think about disc brakes for a while
Last edited by: RBR: Jun 20, 18 19:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can someone tell me the benefit they have please
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
None, I still ride a 10 speed because it came with better wheels. As far as I can tell, and I could be wrong. There’s still far more tt bikes and mid range wheels that do no use disc brakes. I’ll change when I have to or if I can get a super good deal. Other than that my rim breaks work fine.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:

Would anyone DQ a brand in the near future as more brands & wheel compaines move to a disc brake tri frame?

Example, I called Canyon & they said they have no plans in the next year or two to move away from rim brakes. Not that I plan on buying one any time soon, but WOULD this cause YOU to not buy a brand with the new disc trend?

I am actively avoiding a disc brake bike. With a garage full of rim brake bikes and wheels to match, changing to disc brakes would be an expensive nightmare. Probably just what the manufacturers want! Even then, not sure I would want one anyway. Like so many other cycling hardware products, its a solution looking for a problem as far as I am concerned.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be very surprised if Canyon doesn't have a disc Speedmax in the pipeline, regardless of what you were told.
I'm not going to get into the pros and cons for triathlon use, but the mere fact that they're starting to become commonplace on road bikes (Canyon sell their Ultimate, Aeroad and Endurace road bikes with both rim and disc brakes) makes it pretty inevitable they'll become the norm on triathlon bikes too. It's mostly the same wheel market after all, plus most people will want to own both a road and tri bike and will favour compatibility of wheels.

Those saying why would I change my bike to get disc brakes are missing the main point. It's not whether you should move now, if you're happy as you are. It's whether you should buy something different WHEN you're buying a new bike. If you won't be doing so for a few years, then you don't need to worry about it for now. No one is saying rim brake bikes will suddenly become unacceptable and have to be retired. No one I've heard anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you care what the brand is doing? Why wouldnt you limit your care to the specific bike you are buying at that time instead of the whole brand. If im buying a canyon today, I dont care if they do or don't plan to put disc brakes on next years model.

I more care about wheel companies. If Zipp/Enve/etc. are still putting out the latest and greatest wheels in a rim brake version, I'm fine to buy rim brake. Thats the real comparison to when bikes switched from 9/10speed to 11. The real thing that gets affected is the wheels you have or will buy.

Maybe its because I live in such a flat area, but Im happy that a bike company offers rim brake bikes. Not because I'm anti disc. I just have race wheels already, don't really need disc brakes, and can save money by not having to buy a "new" tech I dont need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The move to disc brakes is going to happen, but I think it may take much longer than many think.

It's a chicken and egg situation...Buying a new frame is one thing, having to get a new set of wheels (or 2..) is a different matter altogether..

Wheel manufacturers will have to take a risk in producing top quality wheels at all price points in disc variants that may not be sold because there aren't enough bikes in the market yet..and it takes a brave (and wealthy) bike manufacturer to launch a bike that is only marginally different from the one they already have to accommodate wheels that aren't readily available. It would need to be something radically different to make most people switch...but that is expensive to create.

Cervelo had the right idea in producing a complete package, and I suspect Specialized may follow suit this year. Unfortunately, i'm not sure the market for people looking to replace a complete set up is large enough to justify that investment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm more likely to avoid the bikes that have disc brakes.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quite the opposite, for me.

Disc brake only = no sale

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not this crap again. . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:

I don't understand the question.

You aren't asking if I would consider a bike "model" if that specific model doesn't have disc brakes. Instead, you are asking if I would avoid the brand entirely if they don't have or "move towards" (whatever that means) disc brakes on their triathlon lineup. In other words, would I not purchase a rim-brake bike from a manufacturer if they don't have disc-brake bikes in the lineup.

I fail to see why I would care about whether a manufacturer offers disc brakes if I'm about to purchase a rim-braked bicycle.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [Simo429] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simo429 wrote:

For TT usage and most road usage, no real difference. Heavier, less aerodynamic, harder to adjust, more expensive.

Where they start making a big difference is in off roading (MTB/Cyclocross) and wet conditions. I've read some articles where dry stopping power is similar between the two.

It's the cycling industry though. MTB went 26-29-27.5. Bottom brackets go from BSA to 100 different press-fit standards. Discs are the new "in thing" of the road industry.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [Simo429] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simo429 wrote:

I'm 6' - race at 210lbs (230+ in off season). I have a road and tri bike both rim brakes. Tried a few different rim brakes (uncle works at bike shop, allowed me to experiment with stock and alternates) Rim brakes just don't work for me, especially if they get a little wet. Barely slow me down, definitly do not stop in emergency situations. Disc on my MTB slows and stops me in all conditions. The difference is night and day. If you are a lighter rider it may not make a difference, but for a bigger rider like me the difference is massive. Will upgrade to disc with next Tri bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next