Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Bike Value poll
Quote | Reply
This is where I wish we had a multiple choice option. There's a lot of good there. My top three without revealing who I selected:

• Quintana Roo - the PR series of bikes is severely underrated by this community.
  • PremierBike - both of those bikes are an absurd value.
  • Felt - they've always done well at this - offer a bike that punches above its price class.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike Value poll [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what bikes cost, and have ridden none of those bikes in the newer version. I can't even pretend to take part in this poll, it would just be more of a fan vote than an actual knowledge based one..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guessing the new Giant Trinity has to be tops in value, although I'm not sure I would have gone back to it when it came to deciding on a new rig this year.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike Value poll [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is really splitting hairs, all have base 105 bikes within $300-400 of each other. All have super bikes, so what is being defined as value.?

For me personally I can take my base model P2 that I got on closeout for $2000 and make it into something within a percent or two of a super bike with $3K in upgrades, that seems like value to me. A used P2 is always worth at least $1500 to someone.

The part that might not have value is paying retail for some mid range DI2 bike from Trek, or Specialized and still having to spend another 3K to make it the best it will ever be is not value.

So value going to be highly personal.
Last edited by: endosch2: Oct 1, 18 9:25
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike Value poll [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had my fastest times ever on the trinity at comparable wattage, conditions and weight. Think it’s highly under aapreciated.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike Value poll [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I liked the one I had. But decided to go with an Argon...but if the package for this year's PRO had been live when I was making the decision it would have been difficult.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally feel the best value is getting a slightly used 1-2 year old bike. I did this via the classifieds a few years ago, getting an 8k (when new) bike for around 3k. I've since made a bunch of changes, but in terms of value, not buying new helps out a lot.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike Value poll [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still miss my old Blue Triad EX.

Definitely agree on finding some bang for your buck - the used market right now is super depressed. I almost bought a set of 808 tubulars for $500 a few weeks back. That said, there will always be people who want to purchase new.

I honestly can't believe the number of people selecting Cervelo on the pool right now...unless you're buying some of the 2018 closeouts.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike Value poll [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I personally feel the best value is getting a slightly used 1-2 year old bike.

A 10 year oldie but goody... customize to taste. Or Chinese direct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
I honestly can't believe the number of people selecting Cervelo on the pool right now...unless you're buying some of the 2018 closeouts.

Agreed. A Felt IA is a better value than a Cervelo P2. Actually, a Shiv, IA, Premier Tactical, and more are better values.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike Value poll [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

Agreed. A Felt IA is a better value than a Cervelo P2. Actually, a Shiv, IA, Premier Tactical, and more are better values.

I don't mean to troll, but why is the p2 not an equivalent value? I probably misunderstand, but I thought it was 4-5 watts slower than the p5. And the p5 is faster than the IA from -7.5 to 7.5deg yaw, which is what's most frequently encountered IRL? Perhaps I'm just taking a few too many leaps on the ol' transitive property here.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike Value poll [bigmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With a P2, you have to buy all of this extra stuff to make the bike work for triathlon. You can walk into a shop and buy a Felt IA, QR PR5/6, or even get a Premier Tactical from Dan and have a bike that has storage, a nice bento box, and is ready to walk out the door and race.

With Cervelo, you have to buy all these accessories to make it work. People want easy purchases with everything included. Considering a Felt IA with a draft box costs as much or less than a P2, why would you buy the P2?

Drag estimates don't mean anything once you start adding things to the bike to make it work for triathlon.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Oct 1, 18 12:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
With a P2, you have to buy all of this extra stuff to make the bike work for triathlon. You can walk into a shop and buy a Felt IA, QR PR5/6, or even get a Premier Tactical from Dan and have a bike that has storage, a nice bento box, and is ready to walk out the door and race.

With Cervelo, you have to buy all these accessories to make it work. People want easy purchases with everything included. Considering a Felt IA with a draft box costs as much or less than a P2, why would you buy the P2?

Drag estimates don't mean anything once you start adding things to the bike to make it work for triathlon.

I own 2015 P2 and agree with BryanD. P2 is a good entry level bike but I had to spend some money to make it work for me. Sometimes, I wish I had bought IA. IA is a good looking and fast bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike Value poll [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even a Shiv is a better value.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
With a P2, you have to buy all of this extra stuff to make the bike work for triathlon....

Haha, I thought you were the just ride and have fun guy.

For 140.6, sure, the extras *may* be necessary...for other races, there is nothing "mandatory" about such add-ons as you would suggest. I do sprints and usually Olys with a BTA bottle and nothing else. For 70.3, I use a bento and/or put flat kit under my seat. I don't need a draft box and certainly don't need an integrated bento that I can buy for $30 and remove, clean, adjust, etc. as it fits my needs. You also HAVE to buy a car with Navigation and DVD built in, right??
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike Value poll [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not a car guy so I’m fine with whatever keeps the payments as low as possible.

On a bike, I’m tired of buying things to make it work. I want it to come fully ready for a race. Specialized, Felt, and others do this. Cervelo does not

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like very integrated bento I see in person is dirty, dangling off, smashed or in otherwise poor condition. I agree it looks cooler—while sitting in the store or online—but it seems crazy to make a bike-buying decision based on a $30 piece of plastic (that actually costs probably less than $5) you can bolt onto the bike and have options of 10 different manufacturers to choose from for that purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike Value poll [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This.

As an aside, I remember everyone complaining about how shitty the first gen IA calpac was, or how draft box lids wouldn’t stay shut.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike Value poll [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I have no idea what bikes cost, and have ridden none of those bikes in the newer version. I can't even pretend to take part in this poll, it would just be more of a fan vote than an actual knowledge based one..

X2

I'm not qualified to vote in this poll. I don't have enough (of any) purchasing/riding experience with any of these choices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

A torhans bento box that hides mechanical cables on a Cervelo top tube costs like $50. It is not a game changer cause you get one for free with a Felt. The "stuff" I bought to make it work was Hed wheels, a Power 2 Max PM, tires, Vision base bar and TR omega front brake. I am all in for $4.5K and I have a bike within a percent or two of a P5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
On a bike, I’m tired of buying things to make it work. I want it to come fully ready for a race. Specialized, Felt, and others do this. Cervelo does not

I’m the exact opposite. I like customizing the heck out of my bike right down to the jockey wheels, brake pads, and aerobar extensions. I love researching all that stuff and making the bike better over time.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike Value poll [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not what I was saying.

In terms of hydration and storage, I want bikes designed around it. I want tri specific bikes, not UCI legal bikes and then I have to go find a bento or draft box that works.

I'm all for choose everything else.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok. Misunderstood you.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply