Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Bike Deposit
Quote | Reply
Been a longtime lurker here, but this is my first post. I decided recently to get a new tri bike, and went to a local shop (who I've used in the past to fit my road bike but haven't purchased a bike from in the past) to get fitted.

Got fitted and walked through options that fit my build and budget, and settled on a Cervelo P3 to build out. With my fiance and I in the process of moving to a new place, told him that I likely wouldn't be ready to take the bike until after we moved into the new place due to space constraints, which of course wasn't an issue. So I put down a deposit and got things rolling.

Fast forward to now, and I'm about a month from my move, but as things have settled and I've revisited my budget and what I want, I'm having a change of heart on the frame. Really liking the new P5 and would be ok spending more to build that bike out. Additionally, thinking it will save me longer term since I wouldn't have to change from rim to disc wheels at some point in the future.

Planning to have stop in to talk to the owner to discuss options building out this frame instead, but wanted to see if anybody has had similar experiences or is more familiar with the overall process. I'm sure at the end of the day he will do his best to make the customer happy, but having already put down a deposit and him having already ordered the P3 and having it sitting in the shop, wasn't sure if there are other considerations that I should be aware of.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike Deposit [mss72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'd be shocked if he doesn't try hard to make you happy. if he's obstinate, please report back, and we'll get it taken care of for you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just so I'm reading it correctly..

-You put deposit down on P3

-Now want P5 instead of P3

Worry is the P3 that was ordered and shop having issues selling it? The bike shop is almost assuredly going to work with you and roll that deposit over to the P5.

What size P3 is it? If it's a normal sized P3, the shop shouldn't have any issues getting rid of it.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The shop owner is going g to pressure you into buying the bike that you put a deposit on.

Anything else is going to screw his cash flow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it a big shop that regularly stocks and sells Cervelo and sells plenty of TT bikes ? Or a small time shop that has had to go do something special to build the bike ?

Also is the chosen spec a 'run of the mill' one ? Or something V high end or obscure ?

You're going o be lumbering the shop with more than just a frame - it will half group set (brake calipers, and levers too - assuming hydraulic discs wanted ) and a pair of wheels too (disc vs non disc).

If they're selling tri bikes every day then not such a problem to shift on, but if ordered at a small place that rarely do TT bikes then they're exposed to holding stock they didnt plan on having and may not sell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you k with the parts on the P3 bike? Can you order the P5 as a frame Set? If so, maybe a compromise is to have the shop swap over the P3 parts to the P5. If so, I bet the P3 frameset would be even easier for the shop to sell.

Because you are showing concern for the shop, you see the situation from both sides. That’s good. I’m sure you will come to an agreement. It’s the jag that only cares about himself that makes scenarios like this difficult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the feedback. Had a chance to catch up with the shop owner, and he is willing to do the P5 set up for me.

This brought up some more questions on my end. I'm a little over 6'0" and have proportionately longer legs compared to my torso. The LBS owner insists that with my dimensions, the P5 will be more difficult to fit to my geometry, especially getting pad stack correct, compared to how they were able to set up the P3. This assumes getting the full build of the P5 with the Cervelo cockpit.

I don't really have enough knowledge on fitting and adjustments to really know how much this holds water; wondering if this is a legitimate concern for me. Trying to see if he would be willing to send me the measurements to better form an opinion, but hoping others who have experience with this might be able to provide some feedback.
Quote Reply