Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri AND roadie.
Quote | Reply
Ok. All the roadie v. tri arguments have left me asking the question: If you can only have one bike, and you want to be able to ride properly with a road group, but want it to also be an effective tri bike, what multipurpose bike would that be?

==================================
but I can deal with the angels, cause it ain’t me they’re here to claim. it’s a good night for blowing ‘em off til some other day
Quote Reply
Re: Tri AND roadie. [minny expat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 74 degree bike w/2 seatposts/saddles. One slid forward for du's and TT's one moved back for the rest of the time.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo Soloist is probably the best choice available because of it's dual purpose design

http://www.cervelo.com/bikes/SLTeam.html
Quote Reply
Re: Tri AND roadie. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on that webpage right now. Actually reading about the company's history. Haven't gotten to the bikes yet...

but I can deal with the angels, cause it ain’t me they’re here to claim. it’s a good night for blowing ‘em off til some other day
Last edited by: minny expat: Jun 4, 04 16:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hang out here awhile and you'll notice that Cervelo is a very highly regarded manufacturer.

If you want a dual purpose bike, do look seriously at the Soloist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, it at least sounds like two guys lucked out and found a job that they truly enjoy, making bikes.

Let me guess, your somehow related to Cervelo?

I think Gearwest here in MN sells Cervelo. I'll have to see what they'll throw in to sweeten the deal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.titanflex-usa.com

Fantastic tri bike, fully adjustable to roadie anytime you like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Let me guess, your somehow related to Cervelo? "

Don't let my handle fool you, I'm not related. Just an owner (of a bike, not the company!)

Actually awhile back Gerard was advertising for a sales manager. I actually thought about applying but then realized my only qualification was enthusiasm for the bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gear West is a cool shop. talk to Kevin. He's the owner. I stopped in two weeks ago and got there about 8:05 (they close at 8:00). He opened up for me and let me buy a wetsuit! That's pretty cool - he gave me a couple gels too. I didn't know what flavor to try, so he said if I bought two, he'd give me two more.

As far as "sweetening the deal", they usually have most bikes close to list, unless there's a closeout or something. You might want to get to know them a bit first before you take that angle. but anyway, enjoy the shop, and check out their running store as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Cervelo Soloist is an awesome bike. I just got one and I'm very pleased. I don't know how Gerard and Phil do it, but they make a bike with compact geometry that handles great as a roadie bike and at the steeper position attained by flipping the seatpost head around. And it is incredibly smooth and stable in corners and on descents, unlike the TCR, which I always thought was fun but could be considered somewhat twitchy.

Due to my own unique physical "geometry" I believe I could use the Soloist as a tri bike that would not only be zero compromise but might actually be my best bet. That's because my legs are proportionately longer than my torso and I seem to ride well in a "slam" position.

That said, the Soloist might not fit you properly. Don't just buy a bike because it looks good or other people think it's a good bike for you. You should put it on your short list and compare it to other bikes. If it's right for you it will be a sweet ride.

Aeromon (Aerobic Monster) - Pokomon's evil endurance junkie twin
Quote Reply
Re: Tri AND roadie. [axebiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea. I'll probably buy from them as they are the primary tri-bike shop in the area. Regardless of whether or not they sweeten the deal. I'm a total homer.

Going there tomorrow after trying the Minnesota Bike Highway.

Quote Reply
Re: Tri AND roadie. [Aeromon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear that a lot. "Make sure it fits". I'm sure it's good advice, and I will follow it. Though I do like to do some prepurchase research, so I think the short-list idea is a good one. At least I"ll go in maybe not knowing what I'm going to buy, but knowing what I want.

I hope at 6'3", 230lbs, I'll be able to find something that fits! Anything will be better than my 15 year old Centurion Sport.

Quote Reply
Re: Tri AND roadie. [Aeromon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"And it is incredibly smooth and stable in corners and on descents, unlike the TCR,"

Now don't tell that to the Team Once guys.

Actually I've heard the opposite. I know a road racer who hated his Soloist. He told me the Soloist was twitchy. Guess it depends who you're talking to. I own a TCR as my road bike and have always thought it was a great handler, not at all twitchy. Can't comment on the Soloist since I don't own one.

Both are compact frames. the Cervelo has the advantage of the genuine aero tubing but the TCR also comes in a carbon ride. They're both damn good bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My comment on descending/handling comes after two years on a TCR. To date it's still my favorite of all bikes I've owned and ridden, and that list includes two different model Looks, a Softride, a Trek 5500, other various and sundry steeds, and now the Soloist. My tri bike is a Cervelo P2. It freakin' rocks, but of course that goes without saying.

My experience could be related to my choice of TCR frame and setup, as I ride a size small frame with a long seatpost. Since the Soloist I bought is a bit "taller" than the TCR in the rear it handles differently for me.

There is a tangible difference between my 2002 model TCR and my wife's 2001 frame, though, and that's the rear triangle. On her frame it's ultra light, while they beefed it up a bit in 2002, so I'd go as far as saying her frame is twitchy on descents to less of a relative degree.

"Now don't tell that to the Team Once guys."

Good one! But ONCE is history, and now the dough boyz of Brioches La Boulangère are going to stop sponsorship after this season, leaving poor Beloki without a team again...

Aeromon (Aerobic Monster) - Pokomon's evil endurance junkie twin
Quote Reply