Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TriRig Scoops Ultimate
Quote | Reply

Just got a newsletter of this. Looks great.

https://www.tririg.com/...oopsUltimatePreorder

Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Scoops Ultimate [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love TriRig's stuff but $850 (or $750) pre-order is ridiculous, especially for someone who doesn't live in the US, so add shipping & currency conversion to that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks great.. Curious if there is a way to mount a Garmin somewhere.

Quote | Reply
Yeah. Really nice looking, but early-adoper crazy expensive. At least we're satarting to see non-custom options. I'm waiting for Profile et al to get into the game and have something in the $200 range.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This one doesn't do it for me. Looks way too bulky, especially when compared to what Vision just released.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Scoops Ultimate [gromaton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool - but I'd rather just model and 3d print something and jury rig it up for those prices. $750 just seems insane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I am definitely in the target audience here-I need extra comfort when riding and am willing to pay for that and have used many other Tririg products in the past. But, that price just for cups is a non-starter, especially when the regular scoops are "only" $160. I'm sure it took a lot more work to develop these but, at least at first glance, they don't seem to add that much more comfort/aero value than the regular scoops, yet there is a huge price increase.

I would like to hear from Nick on a few questions....why didn't he just extended them a bit further rather than till require insertion of extensions? Also, why all the extra parts required? When I saw this was coming out, I mistakenly assumed you could just slap them on an Alpha One instead of Ergo or regular Scoops. But, they seem to only pair with a new dragonfly. Do you need the angled pieces to tilt? Or will the dragonfly tilt and the angled shims are just available for even more tilt?

I also want to hear from Ben as I was assuming that was him and his wife were involved.....??
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 30, 20 14:59
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Scoops Ultimate [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

I also want to hear from Ben as I was assuming that was him and his wife were involved.....??

Don't think it's Ben, dude has arm hair 🤣😛
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gromaton wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Don't think it's Ben, dude has arm hair 🤣😛

Haha, I meant in testing.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 30, 20 15:11
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Scoops Ultimate [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
I'm waiting for Profile et al to get into the game and have something in the $200 range.

Vision are at $399 for the Metron TFE extensions

$200 for a full arm solution is hard to see happening if you want adjustability. Less than Scoops Ultimate with adjustability is not a problem.

Non-adjustable PD did a long time ago with the sonic stryke, obviously a more primitive design than the current generation

Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Scoops Ultimate [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
I'm waiting for Profile et al to get into the game and have something in the $200 range.

$200 for a full arm solution is hard to see happening if you want adjustability. Less than Scoops Ultimate with adjustability is not a problem.

Non-adjustable PD did a long time ago with the sonic stryke, obviously a more primitive design than the current generation

Just need an updated Sonic Strike. I'm sure the first generations will be full carbon, but fiber-reinforced nylon (possibly integrated with aluminum tubing for strength) also looks doable down the road.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I have not gotten to test these out yet! I was given a pretty thorough sneak peak by Nick a little while ago though and have been super excited for the official release.

In response to some of your questions, and I'm speaking in no way under any official capacity for Tririg here, but I believe the modular extensions are a way to create a one size fits all bar, rather than sell separate lengths like Vision is doing. With the ability to adjust not just the length of the extension, but also the bend/shape, someone who is really picky about shape can make them work. While I'm fairly certain I prefer my wrists more or less directly in line with my forearms, with these I can super easily play with my hands pointed horizontal or more vertical, without messing up my overall arm angle. Take a look at Jan's arms here:

With custom extension tips I could recreate that position exactly, or use a steeper ski bend to create a more relaxed hand position. While Jan's position wrist bend doesn't look to be comfy, with the Scoops Ultimate I'll be able to test it, unscrew a bolt, twist the extensions, and repeat for essentially infinite possibilities until I find the one that is most comfortable. Or take that for aero testing as well. With the angled spacers and these combined with the Alpha one, you're looking as such an absurd range of positions that this setup may actually be the last cockpit you'll ever need.

Personally, I'm most looking forward to testing a max tilt setup. It'll probably end up looking like Anthony Costes's setup, but it's something I've always wanted to try. Plus then EricMPro can't complain that I'm not properly countering the forward sliding forces of my body while riding.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, and the new dragonflys are just to simplify the bars. In theory you could continue to run the old dragonfly but then you've got the extension mounts doing nothing. So the new parts are really just angled spacers, and a dragonfly with bottle cage mounts or without.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Scoops Ultimate [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Oh, and the new dragonflys are just to simplify the bars. In theory you could continue to run the old dragonfly but then you've got the extension mounts doing nothing. So the new parts are really just angled spacers, and a dragonfly with bottle cage mounts or without.

Ahh that makes sense; didn’t pick up on that. Thanks for both posts. Love the idea of these but $1,800+ all in for aerobar and ultimate scoops is tough to swallow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha, I wasn't expecting to answer questions just yet. Usually when ask our Newsletter subscribers to keep something under their hat for a few days they oblige us ... but I understand there's always the temptation to share.

DFW_Tri wrote:
I would like to hear from Nick on a few questions....why didn't he just extended them a bit further rather than till require insertion of extensions? Also, why all the extra parts required? When I saw this was coming out, I mistakenly assumed you could just slap them on an Alpha One instead of Ergo or regular Scoops. But, they seem to only pair with a new dragonfly. Do you need the angled pieces to tilt? Or will the dragonfly tilt and the angled shims are just available for even more tilt?

Ben got the answers pretty much spot on, but I'll reiterate/clarify.

We didn't make a fixed extension because allowing the user to add a small extension opens up a HUGE range of adjustment. It also lets us accommodate riders of all different sizes and arm lengths. Prefer S-Bend terminus? Done. Prefer J-bend? Sure. Want some extra inward roll? Yep. You can create virtually ANYTHING with Scoops Ultimate, from the Frodeno flat-mount, to the Lange S-Bend, to the full Mantis, all while shielding your arm behind an airfoil (actually, your arm becomes part of the airfoil), adding full-contact support below your arm and behind your elbow.

There are no additional parts *required* for mounting. All you really need are two bolts, anywhere in that massive bolt pattern. But we have added a couple optional extras, to increase the range of tilt adjustment (via the Angled Spacer Kit) and make things even cleaner (via the additional Alpha One Dragonfly options). But they aren't required, which is why you can buy the Scoops Ultimate without those parts. And yes, the Angled Spacer Kit and new Dragonfly options will be available separately, later on.

--
TriRig.com
Last edited by: TriRig: Sep 30, 20 16:19
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Scoops Ultimate [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:
Looks great.. Curious if there is a way to mount a Garmin somewhere.
Sure! Use the BTA mount (if you're using Alpha One), or slap on a BarFly/K-Edge/SRAM extension mount to the extension.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Scoops Ultimate [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

I would argue we are much more appropriately put in the Speedbar category, albeit a more adjustable, more aero, more universal version, for far less cost, and with more comfortable pads. In my view, the only comparable product is the WattShop Anemoi extension, which is still a different beast (and more than twice the price of Scoops Ultimate), but probably the closest analogue.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion ;-)

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Scoops Ultimate [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
Haha, I wasn't expecting to answer questions just yet. Usually when ask our Newsletter subscribers to keep something under their hat for a few days they oblige us ... but I understand there's always the temptation to share.

I had planned to keep it under wraps but once OP posted, I figured it was out there and fair game!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I know OP was not you. And yes, apparently the genie is out of the bottle!

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oops, I don't think I actually did any reading on the e-mail at all... I think I just clicked on the picture...

TriRig wrote:
Yeah, I know OP was not you. And yes, apparently the genie is out of the bottle!
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Sep 30, 20 16:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No worries, it was going live in a few days anyway :-)

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I notice the picture seem to show the dragonfly flat with the scoops tilted by the angled spacers. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using the dragonfly to angle up as opposed to the angled spacers (assuming you don’t want more tilt than allowed by the usual tilt)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's just personal preference, which accessories you want to run, and how. For the photos, we were showing off the 15-degree spacer, and wanted to show a middle-of-the-road tilt level (about 15 degrees), so that meant the Dragonfly stayed flat. We could have nixed the tilt spacer and just used the Dragonfly, which goes up to 17.5 degrees on its own. But this is nice because it gives options. Want your Garmin horizontal to the wind? Sure, just leave the Dragonfly relatively flat and use the Tilt spacers. Want your bottle right between your arms? Ok, then tilt the Dragonfly and don't use the tilt spacers. Etc.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, if you go all in on the new Scoops, you don't need the new Dragonfly, as you can saw off the unnecessary extension clamps of the original Dragonfly :)

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
I would argue we are much more appropriately put in the Speedbar category, albeit a more adjustable, more aero, more universal version, for far less cost, and with more comfortable pads. In my view, the only comparable product is the WattShop Anemoi extension, which is still a different beast (and more than twice the price of Scoops Ultimate), but probably the closest analogue.

I wasn't saying the Vision is equivalent - just that it's an example of the compromises that have to be made to get the price down.

Anemoi and Aergo would be closest. Scoops Ultimate looks a lot better than Anemoi to my eye.
Quote Reply

Prev Next