Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TriRig Launches The New X-Series! New Omega brakes, Alpha Aerobar, and Sigma stem! [daaan100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daaan100 wrote:
Having ordered the bar based on the advice I got from the online form enquiry, I'm now concerned that the information posted in the link contradicts what I've been told.

Is the only way of routing the front brake cable (either bare inner or complete with outer) through the central hole in the stem? You said on the online enquiry that I could route it through the underside of the basebar. I'm not convinced the central stem hole will work on a Lotus 110 frame because of the distance the head tube is behind the nose of the frame. In other words the cable will exit the bar straight into the top of the bulbous head tube and not into open free space beyond the end of the frame.

I still stand by my original suggestion that a picture of the underside of the production bar or a schematic of cable routings would make the whole process far easier to understand. A picture paints a thousand words.

Sorry for the confusion. Since the bar/stem are the same piece, I answered yes - the cable exits the underside of the base bar (at its center, where the "stem" portion is). However if that's not sufficient given your frame requirements, you can exit the brake cable out the back of the "stem" portion, then back and around to your brake. Should present roughly identical frontal area, and shouldn't have any problems with cable friction or routing.

Below you can see the image you requested. It shows the distance from head tube to the centered brake cable port. It's approx 45mm forward of center, I imagine still compatible with your Lotus. But I could be wrong, and you might need the alternate path suggested above.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Launches The New X-Series! New Omega brakes, Alpha Aerobar, and Sigma stem! [alexneum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexneum wrote:
Hi Nick, do you have the total weight for the Alpha X?
Yep - see under "Purchase Details."

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Launches The New X-Series! New Omega brakes, Alpha Aerobar, and Sigma stem! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
CPT Chaos wrote:
Let's hope they figured out to make a brake that actually brakes....

Jack

Since they already do, and it is excellent...let's instead hope you figure out how to properly set up a brake :-/

Just saw this....Tom(and anyone else) could the brake lever have something to do with poor braking for even a 'properly' setup Omega? I have set up several sets of Omegas on my shiv with no trouble until recently.....I have some new PD TT brake levers with less pull length than other brakes. My back Omega does not work worth a crap now....Ive reset it several times and just cannot get it to actuate properly. So, I am thinking it is possible that some guys have set their brake up properly however, have chosen a set of levers that will not allow enough actuation for the Omegas...especially on the back.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Launches The New X-Series! New Omega brakes, Alpha Aerobar, and Sigma stem! [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COJO wrote:
could the brake lever have something to do with poor braking for even a 'properly' setup Omega?
Yes. Probably not enough to warrant the vitriol some customers have expressed, so when I hear "the Omegas don't brake worth a crap," there's often some combination of setup error and/or exaggeration. But other users have opined specifically about their frustration with Profile-Design ABS levers and Omega. My favorite levers are Shimano. Either Dura-Ace BL-TT79 (carbon) or BL-TT78 (alloy). I haven't used the alloy version, but I assume the same pull ratio. Also, the Di2 TT shifter/levers (any generation) use the same pull ratio as the BL-TT79's, so they're excellent as well.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Launches The New X-Series! New Omega brakes, Alpha Aerobar, and Sigma stem! [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And as a followup, the Omega X should be less sensitive to lever choice, due to the new geometry, materials, and ease of setup.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Launches The New X-Series! New Omega brakes, Alpha Aerobar, and Sigma stem! [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get rid of those Profile Design levers. I hated mine. I never felt comfortable braking with them. Once I went with Dura Ace levers, the braking was much stronger

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Launches The New X-Series! New Omega brakes, Alpha Aerobar, and Sigma stem! [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
COJO wrote:
could the brake lever have something to do with poor braking for even a 'properly' setup Omega?

Yes. Probably not enough to warrant the vitriol some customers have expressed, so when I hear "the Omegas don't brake worth a crap," there's often some combination of setup error and/or exaggeration. But other users have opined specifically about their frustration with Profile-Design ABS levers and Omega. My favorite levers are Shimano. Either Dura-Ace BL-TT79 (carbon) or BL-TT78 (alloy). I haven't used the alloy version, but I assume the same pull ratio. Also, the Di2 TT shifter/levers (any generation) use the same pull ratio as the BL-TT79's, so they're excellent as well.

Thanks for the reply Nick! I have been contemplating the Di2 TT levers...I guess I will pull the lever on them now.;)

Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Launches The New X-Series! New Omega brakes, Alpha Aerobar, and Sigma stem! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Get rid of those Profile Design levers. I hated mine. I never felt comfortable braking with them. Once I went with Dura Ace levers, the braking was much stronger

Thanks for the heads up. I am sure they are good levers....just not good with the old Omegas. Di2 TT levers it is....I now have a good excuse to spend the money on them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nick,

Do you have an anticipated supply date for the Sigma X? Will you be taking pre-orders? I had always been tempted by the original Sigma, but there were a couple of things putting me off, which have been changed on the Sigma X so I'm keen to get hold of one ASAP!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on Dura Ace levers. They are the best ones I've used so far. Had SRAM 500 before with Omega front and they were useless... They were useless with the rear brake too which is an Ultegra.

COJO wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I am sure they are good levers....just not good with the old Omegas. Di2 TT levers it is....I now have a good excuse to spend the money on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for taking the time to get to the bottom of my probably unique query.

It looks like the central cable hole in the stem wont work on my frame, since centre of head tube to nose of frame measurement is about 58mm. The routing out of the top of the stem may work ok with the front brake lever on the left. I'm sure my Nokons will allow a tight enough routing. Out of interest, the cable hole in the stem, is it merely a drilled hole, or is there additional material in this area to give it extra strength against the rigours of acting as a cable stop? Would there be any reason why I couldn't drill a second hole further forward in the stem? (ignoring the fact that it wont then route through the spacers, which I'm not planning on using anyway)
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Launches The New X-Series! New Omega brakes, Alpha Aerobar, and Sigma stem! [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
+1 on Dura Ace levers. They are the best ones I've used so far.

Same here. TT79 levers are worlds apart from the Vision levers I originally cabled up to my Omegas. Mk1 Ventus levers work incredibly well with original Omegas too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will the Alpha X bar/stem work on a Cannondale Slice model, as the Cannondale Slice 2015 model has a rubber bit just behind the stem where the cables go into for the rearbrake and di2 cable, as seen in attached picture. And how would that work with the cabeling?[/img]

My Blog - My Tweets - My Strava
My Bikes - CF SLX, 622SLX, O-1.0, AL9.0, 4.3Disc, Slice BI, C60
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Launches The New X-Series! New Omega brakes, Alpha Aerobar, and Sigma stem! [alexneum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexneum wrote:
Will the Alpha X bar/stem work on a Cannondale Slice model, as the Cannondale Slice 2015 model has a rubber bit just behind the stem where the cables go into for the rearbrake and di2 cable, as seen in attached picture. And how would that work with the cabeling?
Yes it will work just fine. That grommet on the Slice is removable if needed.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nick,

Genuine question and I hope you understand where I'm coming from. Now that you have updated to the Sigma X stem, will you continue to support owners of the original Sigma? To use our product in a low stack setup without any spacers below, a lot of your consumers had to cut their steerer tubes low enough that it makes it impossible for us to use any other model of stem. And those who kept spacers below their Sigma might not be able to reproduce the same stack with a regular stem. We had to take a leap of faith to let us use your product!! I for one made an irreversible modification to my beautiful P3C!! If I cut my fork down low enough to use the Sigma XF that I bought, will the new Sigma mount to that? If not, are you keeping a stock of the Sigma XF (and N35) to support your prior customers, should we ever have a problem with the stems we bought?

Best regards,
Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Launches The New X-Series! New Omega brakes, Alpha Aerobar, and Sigma stem! [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You cut your fork, you take your chances. Products change. Always leave .25 - .5cm of extra steerer.

I'll let Nick give you an actual answer now, which is most likely yes. Curious as to what supporting the purchaser of a stem looks like.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Launches The New X-Series! New Omega brakes, Alpha Aerobar, and Sigma stem! [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan wrote:
You cut your fork, you take your chances. Products change. Always leave .25 - .5cm of extra steerer.

I'll let Nick give you an actual answer now, which is most likely yes. Curious as to what supporting the purchaser of a stem looks like.

I do accept that Dave, but you can't leave extra steerer above the stem with the Sigma XF design, so if you are using it to achieve particular stack you won't be able to reproduce that with a regular stem. And if you have your stem slammed which lots of folks do, you are shut out of luck. But I knew I'd be locked in to Tririg when I did it.

I think support would look like;
"my stem broke, what can I do"
"it's ok we have more stems"
vs
"sorry we don't make those stems any more and the new one requires more steerer to clamp to" (it might not, I don't know)

I'm just a bit worried about that, but don't necessarily expect anything. But it's fair to ask, no? It's not a forty quid stem..

Cheers,
Rich.
Last edited by: knighty76: May 12, 15 12:48
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Launches The New X-Series! New Omega brakes, Alpha Aerobar, and Sigma stem! [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Now that you have updated to the Sigma X stem, will you continue to support owners of the original Sigma?
I think support would look like;
"my stem broke, what can I do"
"it's ok we have more stems"
Yes, absolutely. As of right now, we keep warranty stock on hand for everything we've ever made.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a followup, the Sigma X clamping zone is 4mm longer than the older Sigma XF, but the Sigma X also includes the ultra-low dust cap, which is typically shorter by 10-15mm compared to standard dust caps. The result is that upgrading a Sigma XF to the new Sigma X usually means you can actually add a spacer (above or below the stem). So the upgrade path will remain for most users, but we will continue to support our existing customers.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
broke down and got a(nother) "new and improved" omega. That makes #5

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Launches The New X-Series! New Omega brakes, Alpha Aerobar, and Sigma stem! [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone fitted the new brake yet?
Was hoping to get some first impressions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, on my 2012 (old) P2... Will the Sigma X clean up my cabling and fit well/ make any aero difference? Looking at that and the breaks. Also, does anyone have any pictures of what the sigma x looks like when installed on a 2012 (or any year of that model) p2?

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Launches The New X-Series! New Omega brakes, Alpha Aerobar, and Sigma stem! [tomaco1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got it installed, working on a review of it (probably end of the week)

After a short ride though... pretty much everything good about the original, but a bit cleaned up overall. Really like the new face plate and wedge. The one downside is that the "center pull" back plate (no hanger) is an extra $50 for those who want/need it. Kinda a jump for an already fairly expensive brake, when it was an easy piece to add/remove on the original.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Launches The New X-Series! New Omega brakes, Alpha Aerobar, and Sigma stem! [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which part was the extra $50?
The hanger is included right?
Last edited by: tomaco1: May 19, 15 6:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
leegoocrap wrote:
Pretty much everything good about the original, but a bit cleaned up overall. Really like the new face plate and wedge. The one downside is that the "center pull" back plate (no hanger) is an extra $50 for those who want/need it. Kinda a jump for an already fairly expensive brake, when it was an easy piece to add/remove on the original.

I hear you. I really wanted to make it an integrated piece like the original, but it wasn't possible given certain other design constraints. I also wanted to make it an included freebie, but that was simply price prohibitive. It's a pretty small percentage of customers that really want that part, so our best compromise was to make it an optional extra.

tomaco1 wrote:
which part was the extra $50?
The hanger is included right?

Yes, the cable hanger is included. The extra part is an optional back plate that *removes* the cable hanger. It is effectively the same as chopping off the cable hanger from the stock version of the brake. It really only serves as an aesthetic benefit, since our original aero testing did not detect a difference between hanger on and hanger off. Even if you run a cable hanger upstream (via a stem or headset hanger), you can still use the stock brake just as it is. Again, it's basically an aesthetic option. Granted, I do LIKE that option, which is why we still offer it. But we couldn't make it a freebie this time around.

Just to clarify:

--
TriRig.com
Last edited by: TriRig: May 19, 15 12:30
Quote Reply

Prev Next