Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri-bike-specific braking techniques?
Quote | Reply
After a few seconds of stupidity Saturday, I am sadder and would like to be wiser. I would really like to know how to stop quickly, for the next time I end up in a position where I have to do so. I have a tri-geometry bike, fairly aggressive position, bars low but not as low as I would like to ride them. I'm about 6 feet / 170 pounds, and old enough to have known better. Perhaps different techniques apply at different speeds and in different road conditions. I am highly motivated to learn and go practice on grass (once I heal up).

Why did I want to stop quickly? I managed to do an endo into the street in front of a car that had turned left in front of me. I was only going 15 mph, and the person driving did see me flying through the air in time to stop and not run over me. The cracked rib, pulled chest muscle and minor road rash hurt, but nothing compared to the anguish of going through all the things I did wrong. I could easily have been run over. Humiliation may speed the path to enlightenment so flog away.

I already know I did these things wrong:

- Didn't ride defensively. I don't think the Angel of Death would have passed me by just because I had the right of way. Had I been riding defensively, eased off when I became skeptical of the person seeing me, and braked hard with the rear brake, it would have probably been just a near miss.

- Wasn't wearing glaringly bright clothing. Conditions were midday, bright sun with dark shadows from trees. I think the driver just didn't see me, as opposed to not looking. I was wearing dark jersey, dark shorts, dark helmet.

- Was riding hard with a closed-course racing mindset, but while still having cars around.

- Hadn't practiced stopping effectively from speed (this is also known as 'a good craftsman never blames his tools')

- Hadn't taken the necessary steps to hook up with the local bike club to find out if they do have bike-handling technique training sessions. The prominent local club seems pretty intimidating, but this is no excuse. Maybe Dr. Dre' can advise on clubs hereabouts -- we seem to be in the same locale (Pasadena, CA).

- Had no ID, and no photocopy of health insurance card with me. This would have caused pain on top of pain for loved ones had I ended up unconscious in our fine local hospital.

Catalog of things done right:

- wearing that blessed helmet. Thank you, Giro. And thank you, Bunnyman, for your eloquent reminders.

- had a cell phone, could have called if need be.

- bike was in good working order: brakes work fine, tires newish with good tread and properly pressured (120 psi). Haven't coughed up the green for tubulars yet so I'm likely to get the 'clinchers suck' from Mr. B. It may well be true, but they didn't figure into this particular incident.

Thanks in advance for technique tips. I have learned so much from this Forum already.

Tom (C)

Tom C
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-bike-specific braking techniques? [BikesTooSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A problem with tri bikes is that our weight is more forward than on road or mtn bikes. The effect is even greater due to the low hand position. So, when we brake hard, we're already halfway into an endo.

The solution is simple really, and you just have to practice. As you grab for the brakes, get your butt off the seat and push your entire body as far to the rear of the bike as you can. Your arms should be extended straight out in front of you. You also want to get your butt as low as you can. Keep your knees bent so you stay low; for some odd reason, many riders have the reflexive reaction to straighten their legs when braking hard. Your seat should basically be pressing into your navel.

You just have to move the center of gravity back and down. Another advantage of moving back and down is that you get a little more braking power from the rear brake that way.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-bike-specific braking techniques? [BikesTooSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am very happy that your head is okay. I am glad I got through to someone about the helmet thing. The clincher debate is another story, which is unimportant here.

It has been covered in this thread, but I will reiterate it- the front brake IS NOT THE ENEMY. But, your weight must be in the centre to back of the bike for a proper stop. A rear wheel lock-up will cause skidding and loss of control. Just make it automatic that if you're out of the tuck to brake or go over railroad tracks, get off of the saddle and go to the back of the bike.

Glad to know that you're okay. We'll discuss those clinchers another time.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-bike-specific braking techniques? [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It has been covered in this thread, but I will reiterate it- the front brake IS NOT THE ENEMY.

add. front brake...

I basically NEVER touch the rear brake in any conditions other than pace-line speed adjustment. It won't stop your bike, and it will lay you down on the pavement faster than a truck. The front brake does all the stopping.

In a motorcycle school I attended once, they had a simple rule about the rear brake. Anybody caught touching it even once was done for the day.
Quote Reply