Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri-Shark vs. Pigman: Anyone done either/both?
Quote | Reply
Hey All,

I'm trying to decide on my second B-race of the season (Galena being the first). I was wondering if anyone had done either/both Pigman (IA) or TriShark (IL).

Since Galena is pretty hilly, I'm looking for a somewhat flatter bike so that I can get a gauge of my bike speed a few months before the Chicago Tri (my A race).

Also, I'd appreciate any comments in terms of race organization, the venue in general, etc.

anyway, thanks...

Philbert

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-Shark vs. Pigman: Anyone done either/both? [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Philbert- I'm part of the Tri-Sharks club that puts on the tri-shark. It is a very well-run event and gains in popularity every year. Registration closed in 6 days this year, so if you haven't registered, that could make your decision easier. The Tri-shark is the midwest championship for sprint distance this year so the competition should be pretty solid. The course has a few rolling hills with one long, but not steep climb.

I haven't done the pigman sprint, but have never heard anything bad about the organization of their events
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
since Tri Shark is full, your decision may already be made...that being said, I've done Tri-Shark...very well run and fun race with a nice swim (about 600yrds), the ride is generally flat, and even their one long climb is not that imposing. The run is very nice through the park, and most of it is shady -- ther are a few hills on the run, but again, nothing imposing....Good past race party as well...don't know anything about pigman...have fun on the hills of galena.

"We will either find a way, or make one." -- Hannibal, General of the Carthaginian Army
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never done the Pigman sprint, but I've done the Pigman half IM, and it's very well done. Pretty flat, good organization, nice host hotel. People were all friendly, and lots of swell farm animals. I had a great time and will go back. I wish it wasn't so close to IM Wisconsin this year.

Big EE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are desperate to do Tri-Shark they now have a forum at their web site were you can rant, rave, and beg for a spot. There is a twenty-five dollar fee for someone to transfer their number to you, but I think that puts it at about the same price as Pigman. I may have to give up my spot do to injury so you could keep a lookout there. I've heard nothing but good things about Pigman though, so either one should be a great choice.

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-Shark vs. Pigman: Anyone done either/both? [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sprint Pigman or the "short" pig is sort-of flat. Picture one large hill that you descend about 1 mile into the Bike. Turn-around and ascend same hill and descend down other side. Turn-around again, and the go up it again, then back to the transition. Some flat spots, but wind usually is in your face going back up that hill after the first t-a. It is a good course and well run. The run has no major hills, just rolling on black-top roads w/i a state park. The 1st and last miles of the bike are in the state partk. Swim is a fast out and back with buoys to your right. Last year the swim was short...very short. Watched a woman come out at about 4:10 for a supposed 500 meter swim...the WR for 400 meters is something like 4:02 in a pool. HhhhMmmmm! But - that was the first mistake I have seen in many years of racing it. You'll have fun. Always a wetsuit swim too.
Quote Reply