Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trek buying local LBS?
Quote | Reply
Local Trek dealer LBS has 4 locations. Drove by two of them today and signs are gone and Trek Bike Shop is up on the building instead. Is Trek buying up local shops?
Quote Reply
Re: Trek buying local LBS? [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Bought the one I use. Nothing changed. Is the same local people and the same store with a sign change and my guess some internal policies but its basically the same store.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek buying local LBS? [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything seemed to be the same when I went inside. Was just surprised Trek would get into the LBS business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They bought a shop close to me about 2 years ago. They were mostly a Trek shop before and the staff stayed the same. However, I did not like that they only sold Trek and Bontrager after the switch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It happened to one of the trek dealers here in OKC last year and I recently heard that it happened at Bicycles Plus in DFW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here in Florida, Trek Dealer "David's World Cycle" has been buying stores around the state. I think they are up to 20 or 21 locations now.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek buying local LBS? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few years ago, Trek bought up most of the Bike Line stores. The two I go to are actually better now (if you can get past Trek/Bonty only).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had that experience a couple of months ago I went into the Goodale's shop in Nashua NH where I bought my Cannondale SuperSix for a problem (read: I destroyed my frame and still don't understand how) only to find they were all Trek
Last edited by: JoeO: Oct 14, 20 16:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They've been doing this for a bit.... they have a little playbook they follow from what I'm told. The way it's been explained to me doesn't strike me as ownership having much of an option when it gets to that point.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek buying local LBS? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Here in Florida, Trek Dealer "David's World Cycle" has been buying stores around the state. I think they are up to 20 or 21 locations now.

They do a pretty good job, I've bought two bikes from them.

The Trek branded stores are not necessarily owned by Trek though. In St Pete, ABC Bikes is a Trek only store but the name goes way back to the 1950's. Trek wanted them to rebrand but they wouldn't go along with it They do own a second store which is called Trek Bicycles.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Trek buying local LBS? [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andres wrote:
They've been doing this for a bit.... they have a little playbook they follow from what I'm told. The way it's been explained to me doesn't strike me as ownership having much of an option when it gets to that point.

Happened here. Sounded like something along the lines of force the LBS to take a ton of inventory if they want to carry any and when the LBS falls behind on terms, foreclose on the business and move in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure what goes on in the US but probably the same as my brother here in Australia. He had a Ride ***(location of store)*** store which is basically a Giant shop with a small amount of other brands of his choosing. He Signed up as a Giant **** and now I am pretty sure only sells only Giant bikes, plus all their parts, equipment and apparel but can sell other parts, equipment apparel and the like. By doing this Giant paid to re-brand his shop, gets bikes at a cheaper rate and extended period before he has to pay for the bike.

I can only assume it is the shop owner making the choice to do the same pushing Trek bikes and Bontrager parts harder and not Trek buying up stores.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw an ad on Indeed for a Trek store manager in Concorde, NH. The link to apply took you to the Trek corporate website. A little surfing around showed they were seeking to hire folk to work in dozens of different retail locations around the country, and even a few in Europe.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as one other already posted Trek purchased all of the Bikeline stores (i think there were 14) in eastern PA a couple of years ago. I heard i was because Bikeline started selling Specialized bikes from all locations not just the ones that were Specialized dealers before Bikeline purchased them....but don't have any evidence.

The staff stayed the same - as much as they ever do in a LBS; and at least the full time guys seemed positive about joining a larger company - maybe more benefits, opportunities, security. I'd work there for no salary - just the staff discount.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek buying local LBS? [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, I had no idea that Trek directly owned any bike stores. Good business practice from their viewpoint but not great for variety from a consumer standpoint.

The biggest bike shop in my area carries Trek and Specialized. They would be a prime target for Trek direct ownership - buy the store and stop selling Specialized.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep.....3 shops in the SF Eastbay called Livermore Cyclery now Trek. Happened I think in March.
Quote Reply