Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trek Speed Concept - Markel Insurance help
Quote | Reply
I was riding my Speed Concept on Saturday 6/16/18 and became distracted by a loud noise on the side of the road. The road had a bend in it, and I ended up going into the ditch as a result of the distraction (it was a loud bang from a mechanical gate on a gated neighborhood).

I have had insurance on the bike through Markel since I purchased it in 2017. I have had Markel policies on bikes since 2012 or 2013, and never filed a claim before.

The handlebars swung around and damaged the carbon on the head tube. There are also 2 spots on the fork, about the size of a pencil eraser, where the paint and clearcoat is gone. In my opinion, it is impossible to "eyeball test" if the carbon is damaged in those spots.

The Trek store told me that the frame is not safe to ride. They think the fork is OK (not my opinion, but oh well). Markel is telling me that they sent the pictures to a "carbon repair expert" and they said the headtube damage is "not structural." This means that it's "cosmetic damage" and not covered by the policy.

My assigned Markel claims guy did not forward the pictures of the fork to the "carbon repair expert." I'm still waiting on an answer why he did not. I sent him all pictures a week+ ago.

They are denying my claim at this point, unless I send the bike in to Trek and Trek deems it unsafe. They somehow will believe Trek corporate, but not a corporate-owned Trek store.

I've probably paid them more in premiums over 5-6 years than this claim is worth. Am I getting screwed here?

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept - Markel Insurance help [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd inquire with the insurance group if they would accept a repair shop just sanding the paint off that area for inspection and using a bore scope inside the tube (take out the fork/headset and send it in).

That would determine if there is or is not a crack in the tube. I did this on my Giant.

If there isn't a crack, then the insurance I guess wouldn't cover anything as it is cosmetic. Then pay someone to blend/repair the paint.

If it is a crack, the report should be sent to insurance and they should cover it.

Definitely work that thru the insurance first though, before anyone inspects it by removing paint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would semi-bluff together with your Trek shop, demand that Markel and their "Carbon Expert" sign off in writing that the frame is structurally sound and 100% safe to ride, they should assume responsibility for frame failure and the results should it happen on the road.

Hopefully that pushes them enough to just honor the claim...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update:

Markel called back and we have reached what I would call a favorable resolution.

The stress of this process has made me wish I was 12 years old again and riding a bike that isn't expensive enough for insurance!

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As we all know insurance companies make money by denying claims

Exactly who I self insure my real estate properties and will be getting rid of medical insurance if they drop the penalty for not having it

It is unfortunately your frame didn’t break in half then you would be all set. Fortunately when I had a carbon bike get in an accident many years ago the frame was basically destroyed before pictures were sent to the insurance company.

They paid in full

My post will not help the OP but may help others before they show damage to an insurance company
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Physiojoe925 wrote:
I was riding my Speed Concept on Saturday 6/16/18 and became distracted by a loud noise on the side of the road. The road had a bend in it, and I ended up going into the ditch as a result of the distraction (it was a loud bang from a mechanical gate on a gated neighborhood).

Next time take a hammer to it before taking any pictures and drive over few times with your car just to make sure is dead.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept - Markel Insurance help [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just fyi, no visual inspection is going to find all kinds of damage. Need an ultrasound or an x-ray for that.

Glad the OP was able to reach a resolution. Complete BS that any service claimed there wasn't structural damage just by being sent pictures. Any surface damage means there could be (probably is) internal damage.
Quote Reply