Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trek SC and Rotor Road 24 Axle fitment issues - chain dropping on small ring incessantly. help!
Quote | Reply
I'm planning to call ROTOR tomorrow but figured i'd see if anyone here has any experience. i'm dropping my chain when in the small chain ring and on ANY of the top 4 cogs

Setup
2018 Speed Concept
Shimano Di2 FD
ROTOR ALDHU 53/39 ROUND
Road 24 Axle
OF: 143mm Chainline:43.5mm OCP Mount (it just says these on the axle)
11 speed
chain has 300-400 miles on it. not stretched or worn. shimano ultegra chain. Sized properly.
RD is shifting and lined up perfectly.
i'm not using ANY of the spacers they included.

i have adjusted the limit on the FD so when i'm in the small chainring and 28 cog, the chain is slightly resting against the FD to act as protection...and it will still drop. its like the chain misses the chainring before it reaches the FD

when the chain is in 39 chainring and 28 cog, the chainline is not straight. it looks cross chained. it doesn't get a straight chainline until i'm down 4 cogs into the cassette. i'm sure this has something to do with it...but if i crosschain the hell out of it (53/28) it wont drop.

i took it by the trek store here briefly and they said it looked fine and might just be the chainring combination with the bike. it was my understanding that this was the correct.

does anyone have any experience with this? i would appreciate any help!

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Last edited by: T.Skelton3: Aug 25, 19 8:02
Quote Reply
Re: Trek SC and Rotor Road 24 Axle fitment issues - chain dropping on small ring incessantly. help! [T.Skelton3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T.Skelton3 wrote:
I'm planning to call ROTOR tomorrow but figured i'd see if anyone here has any experience. i'm dropping my chain when in the small chain ring and on ANY of the top 4 cogs

Setup
2018 Speed Concept
Shimano Di2 FD
ROTOR ALDHU 53/39 ROUND
Road 24 Axle
OF: 143mm Chainline:43.5mm OCP Mount (it just says these on the axle)
11 speed
chain has 300-400 miles on it. not stretched or worn. shimano ultegra chain.
i'm not using ANY of the spacers they included.

i have adjusted the limit on the FD so when i'm in the small chainring and 28 cog, the chain is slightly resting against the FD to act as protection...and it will still drop. its like the chain misses the chainring before it reaches the FD

when the chain is in 39 chainring and 28 cog, the chainline is not straight. it looks cross chained. it doesn't get a straight chainline until i'm down 4 cogs into the cassette. i'm sure this has something to do with it...but if i crosschain the hell out of it (53/28) it wont drop.

i took it by the trek store here briefly and they said it looked fine and might just be the chainring combination with the bike. it was my understanding that this was the correct.

does anyone have any experience with this? i would appreciate any help!

The Rotor cranks is newly installed to your SC? What crank was on the bike before?

-Check that crank is not moving side to side in the bottom bracket.
-Check that crank chainrings are tightened and true.
-Have rear derailleur hanger aligned.
-If your precious crankset used a lower chainring gearing the chain may be slightly too short.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek SC and Rotor Road 24 Axle fitment issues - chain dropping on small ring incessantly. help! [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll update the above

New chain. Sized properly. RD is aligned and shifts properly.

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Trek SC and Rotor Road 24 Axle fitment issues - chain dropping on small ring incessantly. help! [T.Skelton3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time to start checking every possibility then no matter how small or improbable.

Small chainring installed the correct direction? For non Shimano that is possible.

Small chainring damaged? Bent/not straight or damaged teeth?

Spider not warped? I've seen a few on this forum complain of Rotor spiders being wobbly (admittedly this is with Power2Max NG eco spiders though but I found it interesting).

Like another posted, loose axle (preload not properly setup?

Chain have any stiff links or installed backwards? Some Shimano chains are directional.

Damaged cassette or worn cogs or loose cassette lockring?

Wheel out of true? That can affect shifting and other things.

Maybes try to adjust the chainline to pull it closer towards the frame? If you can't do it with axle/bb spacers one way is to use chainrings bolt spacers.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Trek SC and Rotor Road 24 Axle fitment issues - chain dropping on small ring incessantly. help! [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately it’s a one piece chainring so I can do anything to get the small chain ring closer to the frame. No way for it to go more inboard

Rotor suggested cassette spacers to push it out to try to clean up the chain line but I’m not sure there’s room.

I went with Rotor to be able to get 155 cranks. This is so frustrating.

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply